Skip to main content

Tom Hanks Explains Why He Won't Play a Gay Man Again: 'We're Beyond That'

Accepting change. Tom Hanks reflected on his lengthy career in a new interview, and he admitted that he probably wouldn’t take one of his Oscar-winning roles today.

Stars Who Have Regretted Taking Certain Roles Over the Years

Read article

“Let’s address, ‘Could a straight man do what I did in Philadelphia now?’ No, and rightly so,” the Captain Phillips star, 65, told The New York Times in a Q&A published on Monday, June 13. “The whole point of Philadelphia was don’t be afraid. One of the reasons people weren’t afraid of that movie is that I was playing a gay man.”

The Uncommon Type author won an Academy Award for best actor for his performance in the 1993 film, which also starred Denzel Washington. Hanks played Andrew Beckett, a lawyer who hides his AIDS diagnosis and his homosexuality from his coworkers because he’s afraid it could compromise his career. After the firm fires him, Andrew sues the company for discrimination.

The movie was one of the earliest mainstream depictions of the HIV/AIDS crisis, which is one reason why Hanks believes he landed the role of Andrew. The Forrest Gump star was already beloved by audiences across the country for his work in Big, Splash and more, so he was a safe casting choice for a potentially controversial film.

Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus and More Celebrity LGBTQ Allies

Read article

“One of the reasons people weren’t afraid of that movie is that I was playing a gay man,” the California native explained on Monday. “We’re beyond that now, and I don’t think people would accept the inauthenticity of a straight guy playing a gay guy.”

The Bosom Buddies alum went on to note that he’s not at all upset by the changing cultural standards that might make it difficult for him to play Andrew now. “It’s not a crime, it’s not boohoo, that someone would say we are going to demand more of a movie in the modern realm of authenticity,” he said. “Do I sound like I’m preaching? I don’t mean to.”

Hanks previously discussed his Philadelphia role in the 1995 documentary The Celluloid Closet, which explored the history of LGBTQIA+ characters in film.

'That Thing You Do!' Cast: Where Are They Now?

Read article

“There is this constant desire on the part of the studios to make characters likable,” the Elvis actor explained. “My screen persona is pretty much nonthreatening. I have never been one to strike fear into anybody’s hearts when I enter the room or first appear on screen. And because of [that persona] then, this idea of a gay man with AIDS is not scary. It’s something else, but it doesn’t have to be scary. You don’t have to be threatened by this man’s presence. And part of it is because little Tommy Hanks is playing the role.”

Writer Ron Nyswaner, who was nominated for his work on the Philadelphia screenplay, explained that the movie needed big stars who could draw the attention of audiences who might not otherwise be interested in the subject matter.

“We felt that we would fail if our movie played to people who already think that discrimination against people with AIDS is wrong, or people who already believe that people shouldn’t discriminate against homosexuals,” the Painted Veil screenwriter, 65, said in the documentary. “If our movie only played to people who thought just like we do, we would have done nothing very significant.”



from Celebrity News: Latest Celeb News & Pictures - Us Weekly https://ift.tt/KNs8BuD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dynamic Duo! Chris Stapleton and Wife Morgane's Relationship Timeline

Sweet as strawberry wine. Chris Stapleton and Morgane Stapleton have a love story that keeps country music fans swooning. The pair tied the knot in October 2007, four years after meeting as songwriters in Nashville. While celebrating their 14th anniversary in October 2021, Morgane noted how much her life had changed since Chris became part of it. “14 years today. I don’t remember much about life before you. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for hearing me. Thank you for teaching me. Thank you for respecting me,” she gushed via Instagram alongside a romantic black-and-white photo. “Thank you for giving me everything I cherish in this life. I love you more than I’ll ever be able to put into words, but I’ll spend the rest of my time here on earth trying. Happy anniversary my love!” The musicians share five children — a daughter and four sons — whose names have all been kept private. While they make a perfect parenting team, Chris and Morgane also hit all the right notes together ...

Red Carpet Date! Sophia Bush and Grant Hughes Attend WHCA Dinner

Finding The One! Sophia Bush has kept her romance with Grant Hughes relatively private since the pair were first spotted together in Malibu in May 2020. However, the FocusMotion Health founder has shared a few photos of the couple. Ever since landing the role of Brooke Davis on One Tree Hill in 2003, Bush’s personal life has made headlines. That is something that the actress and activist has intentionally changed, she explained in June 2021. “It’s hard to have nothing that’s yours. And when you are a person who lives in the public eye, everybody wants to pick over everything and that can be really tricky,” the False Positive actress told Entertainment Tonight at the time. “I also grew up in the early aughts when girls were raked over the coals for any choices that they made. And I just was like, ‘I don’t think I like this.’ I didn’t like having my private life lied about. There were times where someone would send through an article and be like, ‘Well, supposedly you’re dating t...

Buzzzz-o-Meter: Kourtney Kardashian's Fave Scent and More Celeb Must-Haves

Smell like a Kardashian — and throw your friends for a loop like Donald Glover . Kourtney Kardashian  doesn’t have to go to Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory to find her Golden Ticket when fragrance brand Snif offers her favorite scent by the same name. “Have your tea and wear it too,” the company says of the fragrance, which features notes of “bergamot, black tea, green tea, golden maté, sage, galbanum (green, woody), incense, amber [and] vetiver,” according to their official website . Snif — which encourages shoppers to “trust your own damn nose” — promises buyers “accessible luxury” to their products, which also includes candles. The Kardashians star’s go-to Golden Ticket retails for $65, so you can channel the Poosh founder, 44, without breaking the bank. If your style is less subtle and more bold , look no further than Glover’s must-have MSCHF BWD sneakers , which are designed to appear as if they’re being worn backward. The footwear went viral after the Atlanta alum, 39,...