Skip to main content

Shia LaBeouf’s Ups and Downs Through the Years

Shia LaBeouf has weathered multiple arrests, abuse allegations and more since his introduction into the spotlight as a child star.

The actor became one to watch while starring on the Disney Channel series Even Stevens. He went on to appear in both commercially successful and critically acclaimed films, including the Transformers franchise, Honey Boy and The Peanut Butter Falcon.

Despite his rising star, LaBeouf dealt with alcoholism and PTSD. “Alcohol or any of that s—t will send you haywire. I can’t f—k with none of it. I’ve got to keep my head low,” he told Variety in September 2016. “I got a Napoleonic complex. I start drinking and I feel smaller than I am, and I get louder than I should. It’s just not for me, dude.”

In addition to making headlines for his bizarre antics, the Holes star was arrested on several occasions. He was charged with disorderly conduct and criminal trespassing in June 2014 after disrupting the Broadway production of Cabaret, booked for misdemeanor public intoxication in October 2015, taken into custody in July 2017 for disorderly conduct and public drunkenness and charged with counts of battery and petty theft following a June 2020 altercation.

LaBeouf’s ex-girlfriend FKA twigs filed a lawsuit against him in December 2020, accusing him of “relentless abuse” and sexual battery.

The Disturbia star told The New York Times in a statement that “many of these allegations are not true” but he accepted “accountability” for his mistakes. “I am not cured of my PTSD and alcoholism,” he said. “I am committed to doing what I need to do to recover, and I will forever be sorry to the people that I may have harmed along the way.”

In another statement, LaBeouf added: “I’m not in any position to tell anyone how my behavior made them feel. I have no excuses for my alcoholism or aggression, only rationalizations. I have been abusive to myself and everyone around me for years. I have a history of hurting the people closest to me. I’m ashamed of that history and am sorry to those I hurt. There is nothing else I can really say.”

Scroll through the gallery below to revisit LaBeouf’s ups and downs through the years.


June 2000
LaBeouf won over audiences as Louis Stevens in Disney Channel’s Even Stevens from 2000 to 2003; he even received a Daytime Emmy for his performance. After leaving the series behind, he graduated to more adult fare, including 2007’s Transformers and Disturbia. Buena Vista Tv/Kobal/Shutterstock; Paramount/Kobal/Shutterstock
January 2014
The Lawless star tweeted in January 2014 that he was “retiring from all public life” due to “recent attacks against my artistic integrity.” However, his retreat from the spotlight only lasted a matter of days.  The following month, he wore a paper bag over his head that read “I Am Not Famous Anymore” at the Berlin premiere of his film Nymphomaniac. Axel Schmidt/AP/Shutterstock
June 2014
LaBeouf was arrested at the Broadway show Cabaret after being disruptive and charged with disorderly conduct, harassment and criminal trespass. He pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct, while the other charges were dropped. John Minchillo/AP/Shutterstock
July 2014
After his arrest, the Disney Channel alum voluntarily sought treatment for alcoholism. “He understands that these recent actions are a symptom of a larger health problem and he has taken the first of many necessary steps towards recovery,” his rep said in a statement to Us Weekly at the time. Joanne Davidson/Shutterstock
October 2014
LaBeouf earned rave reviews for his performance in the Brad Pitt-led war film Fury. Giles Keyte/Columbia/Kobal/Shutterstock
July 2015
The Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull actor was caught on camera fighting with girlfriend Mia Goth, whom he began dating in 2012, in a video released by Entertainment Tonight. “I don’t want to touch you. I don’t want to be aggressive. This is the kind of s—t that makes a person abusive,” he said, alleging that he “would have killed her” if he stayed in Germany with the actress. Evan Agostini/Invision/AP/Shutterstock; David Fisher/Shutterstock
October 2015
LaBeouf was arrested in Austin, Texas, and booked for misdemeanor public intoxication. He was later released from jail. AP/Shutterstock
September 2016
LaBeouf revealed that he was nearly one-year sober. “I had people tell me it was going to [ruin my career],” he recalled to Variety. “People I respected — dudes I wanted to work with — just looked me in the eyes and said, ‘Life’s too short for this s—t.’ I’m still earning my way back. I’m happy working.”  Later that year, he starred in the well-received American Honey. Invision/AP/Shutterstock
October 2016
LaBeouf tied the knot with Goth in an Elvis Presley-themed Las Vegas wedding. James Shaw/Shutterstock
July 2017
The former child star was arrested in Savannah, Georgia, for disorderly conduct, public drunkenness and obstruction of justice. He pleaded no contest to the disorderly conduct charge and was found guilty of obstruction of justice. He was sentenced to one year of probation and ordered to pay a $1,000 fine and attend therapy for anger management and substance abuse. AP/Shutterstock
September 2018
Us confirmed that LaBeouf and Goth filed for divorce and he moved on with his Honey Boy costar FKA twigs. His rep told Us in September 2018 that the split was “amicable.”   He sparked reconciliation rumors with Goth in March 2020 when they were spotted wearing their wedding rings and showing PDA. Lionel Hahn/January Images/Shutterstock Danny Moloshok/Invision/AP/Shutterstock; Andy Kropa/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
October 2019
The Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps actor opened up about his PTSD diagnosis. “I just thought I was an alcoholic, like, a true-blue drunk and I needed to deal with that,” he said on The Hollywood Reporter’s “Awards Chatter” podcast of attending court-ordered rehab. “I knew it was an issue but didn’t know there was this extra whole other thing that was hindering my ability to have any peace in my life and my ability to deal with people.” Vianney Le Caer/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
November 2019
LaBeouf wrote and starred in Honey Boy, penning the script while in rehab and portraying a character based on his father. Earlier that year, he appeared in The Peanut Butter Falcon. Both roles garnered praise from critics. Automatik/Amazon/Sony/Kobal/Shutterstock
October 2020
The California native was charged with petty theft and battery after allegedly assaulting a man in Los Angeles in June 2020. Willy Sanjuan/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
December 2020
FKA twigs filed a lawsuit against LaBeouf, claiming that he abused her multiple times and knowingly gave her a sexually transmitted disease during their yearlong relationship. She accused him of sexual battery, assault and infliction of emotional distress. Another of his exes, Karolyn Pho, also alleged he abused her.   The Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle actor said in a statement that “many of these allegations are not true” but he admitted to being “abusive” for “years.” He noted that he was currently sober as well as in a 12-step program and therapy. David Fisher/Shutterstock; Shutterstock
November 2021
Goth and LaBeouf made headlines in fall 2021 when she was spotted out and about in California with a growing baby bump. Snorlax / MEGA
March 2022
The on-again, off-again couple welcomed their first child in early 2022. LaBeouf later confirmed that they welcomed a baby girl, named Isabel, in an email he shared with Variety. "I have a little girl, Isabel; she is five months old and just beginning to develop the last half of her laugh; it’s AMAZING. Mia, my wife & I have found each other again & are journeying toward a healthy family with love and mutual respect." Snorlax / MEGA
August 2022
Shortly after Olivia Wilde told Variety that she fired LaBeouf from her film Don't Worry Darling, he shared an email with the outlet refuting her version of events. "I am a little confused about the narrative that I was fired," he wrote in an open letter to the director. "You and I both know the reasons for my exit. I quit your film because your actors & I couldn’t find time to rehearse. ... Firing me never took place, Olivia. And while I fully understand the attractiveness of pushing that story because of the current social landscape, the social currency that brings. It is not the truth." Snorlax / MEGA
August 2022
After spending nearly two years out of the spotlight, the former Disney Channel star opened up about experiencing suicidal ideation as a result of his multiple controversies and lawsuits. “At this point I’m nuclear. Nobody wants to talk to me, including my mother. The manager’s not calling. The agent’s not calling. I’m not connected to the business anymore,” he explained in an interview with Bishop Robert Barron. “I didn’t want to be alive anymore when all this happened. Shame like I had never experienced before — the kind of shame that you forget how to breathe." LaBeouf explained that playing the Catholic saint Padre Pio helped him find faith and address his mental health struggles. “But I was also in this deep desire to hold on,” he added, noting he found his faith during research for the film. “The reach-out had happened. I was already there, I had nowhere to go. ... I know now that God was using my ego to draw me to Him. Drawing me away from worldly desires. It was all happening simultaneously." Tom Nook / MEGA TheMegaAgency.com +1 888 505 634


from Celebrity News: Latest Celeb News & Pictures - Us Weekly https://ift.tt/v9lD8se

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Baseball Legend Hank Aaron and More Stars We’ve Lost in 2021

It’s never easy to say goodbye. Scroll down to see Us Weekly ‘s tribute to the celebrities who died in 2021. Angie Jakusz The Survivor alum died in New Orleans following a long battle with cancer on January 8. She was 40. “Angie was an incredibly passionate person with an extraordinary lust for life,” her loved ones wrote in an obituary published via Nola.com. “Whether she was sewing, painting, drawing, doing nail art or makeup, costuming, reading, snorkeling, scuba diving, traveling or just raising hell, she did it lovingly and with laser precision. She was a founding member of the New Orleans Noise Coalition and had been a contestant on season 10 of Survivor.” Monty Brinton/CBS Joanne Rogers The musician, the widow of Fred Rogers , died in Pittsburgh on January 14. She was 92. No cause of death was given at the time. "Fred Rogers Productions is deeply saddened by the passing of Joanne Rogers. The loving partner of Fred Rogers for more than 50 years, she continued their