Skip to main content

JoJo Siwa Celebrates 1 Year of Being Out: 'I've Felt More Love Than Ever'

JoJo Siwa has never been happier since coming out and going public with now-ex-girlfriend Kylie Prew before their October 2021 split.

The former Dance Moms star revealed in January 2021 that she is a member of the LGBTQ+ community. At the time, Siwa uploaded a photo in which she was wearing a black t-shirt that read, “Best. Gay. Cousin. Ever.”

After coming out, the Nickelodeon star received support from her celebrity friends, including Kim Kardashian, Kerry Washington and Jamie Lynn Spears, among others. She also hosted an Instagram Live that was flooded with positive comments from her millions of followers.

“Personally, I have never, ever, ever been this happy before and it feels really awesome,” Siwa told viewers. “I’ve been happy for a little bit now. It’s just so, so, so awesome.”

Shortly after coming out, the “Kid in a Candy Store” songstress appeared on a February 2021 episode of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon and revealed that she had “the most amazing, wonderful, perfect, most beautiful girlfriend in the whole world” at the time.

While speaking with host Jimmy Fallon, the singer explained that “10 minutes before” she was “crying” on the phone with Prew. “She’s like, ‘What’s wrong with you?’ And I was like, ‘I’m just so happy because now I get to share what makes me the happiest with the world, and it makes my heart so happy,’” she recalled.

At the time, Siwa kept her significant other’s identity under wraps, but eventually shared that the Florida teen was the one who had stolen her heart. The duo met on a cruise ship and eventually went from being best friends to something more.

“We were just hanging out and then I was like, ‘Woah, this girl is fun,’” Siwa said during an interview with J-14 in December 2020 about the first time they met. “I was like ‘You are insane, and I love you to death.’ So, I met my best friend last year on Christmas Eve, actually.”

However, Us Weekly confirmed in October 2021 that the J Team star and Prew had called it quits on their romance after less than one year of dating.

“We officially broke up the morning that I did the Prince Charming number on Dancing With the Stars,” Siwa exclusively told Us one month later. “It’s been a few weeks and it’s been tough, but we’re getting through it. … We’re going to go back to being friends.”

Since coming out, the YouTube star has continued to speak openly about her sexuality and refuses to let the haters get her down.

“People are going to say it’s not normal, but nothing is normal,” Siwa said in a January Instagram Live. “Literally not one thing about anybody is normal and it’s OK not to be normal, it’s OK to be a little different, it’s OK to be a little weird, strange, different. That’s something we should never, ever be afraid of. That’s something we should be proud of. … I’m the happiest I’ve ever been, that’s what matters.”

Scroll through the gallery below to see what Siwa has said about coming out and her relationship:


1st Anniversary
In January 2022, the teen star reflected on how her life has changed since coming out publicly one year prior. "In the last 365 days I’ve felt more love than ever. A year ago today I posted this picture and shared with the world that I was gay🌈," she wrote via Instagram. "I get asked a lot 'was coming out scary for you' … and the answer is yes of course, anything that’s different about you is scary, however … it’s what makes me … me. so I had no fear with sharing it with the world❤️."The DWTS alum added that she believed she was "put on this earth to be a role model for kids," and coming out doesn't change that mission. "Letting all the kids of the world know that loving everyone for who they are no matter what is something that I will always believe in and always share❤️ please never forget that no matter who you are, what you look like, who you LOVE that you are absolutely perfect,” she concluded. “Thank you for showing me the most love throughout this year and throughout my entire life. I love you all❤️🙏🏼🏳️‍🌈." Courtesy of JoJo Siwa/Instagram
The Happiest Ever
In January 2021, Siwa came out as a member of the LGBTQ+ community. “My cousin got me a new shirt,” she captioned a social media post of her wearing a top that read, “Best. Gay. Cousin. Ever.” Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Putting a Label on It
JoJo addressed labeling her sexuality during an Instagram Live in January 2021. “The reason I’m not going to say this answer is because I don’t really know this answer. I think humans are awesome, I think humans are really incredible people,” the musician explained. “Right now, I’m super-duper happy and I want to share everything with the world, but I also want to keep things in my life private until they are ready to be public. Right now, what matters is that you guys know that no matter who you love, that it’s OK.” AFF-USA/Shutterstock
Introducing Her Girlfriend
When celebrating their one-month anniversary in February 2021, Siwa introduced her girlfriend to the world. “After being my best friend for over a year … I got to start calling this exceptional human my girlfriend,” she wrote on Instagram about Prew. “Since then, I’ve been the happiest I have ever been! She seriously is the most loving, supportive, happiest, protective and just the most beautiful perfect person in the world. And I get to call her mine!” Courtesy of JoJo Siwa/Instagram
Doing Long Distance
Since Siwa lives in California and Prew lives in Florida, the duo have a long-distance relationship. The “D.R.E.A.M.” songstress addressed this on Instagram. “Reading comments on my last post and you guys were confused about why I was crying on my last Story,” Siwa shared in April 2021. “I just want to clarify, nothing happened, we just are long distance, and we had to say goodbye today and I’m sad.” Courtesy of JoJo Siwa/Instagram
Icon Status
Since coming out, fans have called Siwa a “gay icon,” which she thinks is “the biggest honor.” "About a year ago, I started having all these music meetings just for fun, just getting my head where I want to go,” she told Entertainment Weekly in June 2021. “And I told the producers, 'I want to create gay pop, and I want to have a concert for the girls and for the gays.' Turns out a year later, I am very much so gay." Courtesy of JoJo Siwa/Instagram
Celebrating Pride Month
Siwa and Prew had a romantic date night during June 2021 to celebrate their five-month anniversary. “It’s time to celebrate being who you are and LOVING who YOU wanna LOVE!!” Siwa shared via Instagram. “It really has been the best 5 months of my life truly being exactly who I am and finding love has been the best part of it all. I love this human so much. I’m so happy.” Courtesy of JoJo Siwa/Instagram


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/3iK1nTw

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Beyonce Praises Meghan Markle for Her ‘Courage’ After Tell-All Interview

Ladies get into formation! Beyoncé showed her support for Meghan Markle after the duchess’ tell-all interview aired on Sunday, March 7. Stars React to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Bombshell Interview Read article “Thank you, Meghan for your courage and leadership,” Beyoncé, 39, wrote via her website on Tuesday, March 9, alongside a photo of the pair at the Lion King premiere in 2019. “ We are all strengthened and inspired by you .” Beyoncé previously paid tribute to the philanthropist, 39, when she and Jay-Z accepted the Brit Award for Best International Group in February 2019. During their speech, the couple stood in front of a portrait of Markle wearing a crown and pearl necklaces . The video was also a nod to the duo’s “APES—T” music video, in which the Mona Lisa was positioned behind them. Meghan Markle meets Beyonce Knowles and her husband, Jay-Z, as she attends the European premiere of the film The Lion King in London on July 14, 2019. Shutterstock “In hono