Skip to main content

Demi Lovato Is Living Freely Since Coming Out as Non-Binary

Living their truth! Ever since Demi Lovato publicly disclosed that they identify as non-binary, they have continued to share glimpses at their journey.

“Today is a day I’m so happy to share more of my life with you all — I am proud to let you know that I identify as non-binary and will officially be changing my pronouns to they/them moving forward,” they wrote via Instagram in May 2021. “This has come after a lot of healing and self-reflective work. I’m still learning and coming into myself, and I don’t claim to be an expert or a spokesperson.”

At the time, Lovato admitted it took them a while to find a label that felt like it truly represented who they are.

“Since I’ve learned about gender identity more and learning about being nonbinary or gender nonconforming, I’ve used this time to really explore what feels right to me,” the ‘Skyscraper” singer explained during a June 2021 interview on Audacy Check In. “And after a year and a half of exploration, I realized it was time to let the world know that it feels weird to me when I get called a ‘she’ or a ‘her.’ I understand that people might have a hard time adjusting to it because it is something new, but I want to encourage people to keep trying and that I understand that it’s a process to get used to.”

The former Disney star, who previously came out as pansexual in March 2021, added that they have formed close bonds with their friends in the LGBTQIA+ community.

“I used to identify family as blood-related, and now my queer family has become more family than friends,” they explained on Audacy Check In. “And I feel like I now have two families. I have my blood relatives and then I have my queer family, and that family to me is the chosen family.”

Scroll down to find out everything Lovato has shared about identifying as non-binary:


Coming Out

Upon announcing that they are gender non-conforming, Lovato wanted to help others who identify outside the gender binary.

“I’m doing this for those out there that haven’t been able to share who they truly are with their loved ones. Please keep living in your truths and know I am sending so much love your way,” they wrote via Instagram in May 2021.

 

Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Learning More

The New Mexico native reflected on how their upbringing affected their relationship with their gender identity.

"Growing up in Dallas, Texas, in the South, being Christian, there were a lot of norms that were already pushed on to me when it came to sexuality and gender," Lovato told Jane Fonda during an interview for Fire Drill Friday in June 2021. "And I'm a very fluid person, I'm a very free spirited, open person."

Lovato explained that they initially weren't sure how to identify, but that they didn't want to make themselves "smaller for the patriarchy."

They added, "So, there's been moments in my life that have been very confusing to me, you know being 10 years old, attracted to women and not knowing what that meant as a Christian and being raised in the South where that's not very open. You know, it's harder there." 

Nina Prommer/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
Reflecting on the Experience

Lovato experienced an adjustment period after coming out — and so did their loved ones. 

"Sometimes I still mess up myself," they mentioned during an interview on Audacy Check In in June 2021. "My friends have had a little harder time [getting] used to it actually, just because I think your friends are the ones that you’re more likely to be like, ‘Bitch.’ And so, I’m like, 'Look, you can still call me bitch.'"

 

Rob Latour/Shutterstock
Making Progress

"I actually had come out to loved ones and friends, like, last year, but this year, I made it public," they shared during YouTube Pride 2021 in June. "I am grateful for the progress that my family members have made in using my pronouns, team members, friends."

For the singer, coming out to fans was a major step

"I felt it was really important for me to share that with the world," they explained. "I've been so open and honest with my truth to my fans. I felt holding it in any longer just didn't feel right, and I wanted to share that — my truth — with the world."

The positive reaction to their coming out has made the former X Factor judge feel even better about their journey.

"I love the conversation that it has begun to spark and I think that's really important. So I have officially changed my pronouns to they/them, and yeah, I feel better than ever," they concluded.

Scott Kirkland/FOX/Picturegroup/Shutterstock
Misgendering

Lovato addressed being misgendered in a July 2021 Instagram post in honor of Nonbinary Awareness Week. “I felt the need to post this because I often find that the change in pronouns can be confusing for some, and difficult to remember for others. It’s all about your intention,” they captioned the image. “It’s important to me that you try, but if you make a mistake, it’s okay 😊🙏🏼💞 remember that I love you, and to keep going.” 

The image showed white text on a black background. “If you misgender me — that’s okay 🙏 I accidentally misgender myself sometimes!” the singer, who publicly began using they/them pronouns two months prior, explained. “It’s a huge transition to change the pronouns I’ve used for myself my entire life. And it’s difficult to remember sometimes!”

The “Dancing With the Devil” performer added that as long as fans “keep trying to respect my truth,” then eventually, “the shift will come naturally.” They concluded by thanking everyone for actively trying to adjust to their pronouns, noting, “I’m just grateful for your effort in trying to remember what means so much to my healing process.”

Courtesy Demi Lovato/Instagram
The Engagement

Lovato opened up about the "dissolvement" of their engagement to Max Ehrich, which came to an end in September 2020. "I met someone and I got into this straight relationship, and that was great, but that led me to ignoring all the parts of myself that I didn't think were digestible for my partner at the time, who ended up becoming my fiancé," they told The 19th in August 2021.

Ending that relationship helped Lovato step fully into their identity. "I was able to stand on my own two feet without needing someone else to validate me or to make me feel accepted," they added. "And when I said goodbye to that relationship, I also said goodbye to everything that was holding me back from being my most authentic self."

Courtesy of Max Ehrich/Instagram
Lifelong Journey

Coming out as non-binary may not be the last stop on their journey, the singer told The 19th in August 2021. "There might be a time where I identify as trans. I don't know what this looks like for me. There might be a time where I identify as non-binary and gender-nonconforming my entire life," Lovato said. "Or maybe there's a period of time when I get older that I identify as a woman, I don't know what that looks like, but for me, in this moment right now, this is how I identify."

Diggzy/Shutterstock


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/3wlzncc

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Beyonce Praises Meghan Markle for Her ‘Courage’ After Tell-All Interview

Ladies get into formation! Beyoncé showed her support for Meghan Markle after the duchess’ tell-all interview aired on Sunday, March 7. Stars React to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Bombshell Interview Read article “Thank you, Meghan for your courage and leadership,” Beyoncé, 39, wrote via her website on Tuesday, March 9, alongside a photo of the pair at the Lion King premiere in 2019. “ We are all strengthened and inspired by you .” Beyoncé previously paid tribute to the philanthropist, 39, when she and Jay-Z accepted the Brit Award for Best International Group in February 2019. During their speech, the couple stood in front of a portrait of Markle wearing a crown and pearl necklaces . The video was also a nod to the duo’s “APES—T” music video, in which the Mona Lisa was positioned behind them. Meghan Markle meets Beyonce Knowles and her husband, Jay-Z, as she attends the European premiere of the film The Lion King in London on July 14, 2019. Shutterstock “In hono