Skip to main content

JoJo Recalls Being Put on an Extreme '500-Calorie' Diet as a Teenager

Standing tall. JoJo reflected on a rough period in her life where she felt that “the way that she looked” was the reason her record label wasn’t releasing her new music, despite already having two successful albums — JoJo in 2004 and The High Road in 2006 — under her belt.

Hollywood's Most Extreme Diets

“When I was 18 I remember being sat down in the Blackground [Records] office and the president of the label being like, ‘We just want you to look as healthy as possible,'” JoJo, 29, recalled in a recent interview with Uproxx. “And I was like, ‘I’m actually the picture of health. I look like a healthy girl who eats and is active. I don’t think this is about my health. I think that you want me to be really skinny.’ He’s like, ‘No, I wouldn’t say that.'”

She added, “I ended up working with a nutritionist who had me on a 500-calorie diet a day. I was taking these injections that make you have no appetite. I was like, ‘Let me see how thin I could become because maybe then they will put out an album. Maybe I’m so disgusting that nobody wants to see me in the video and they can’t even look at me.’ That’s really what I thought.”

The “Leave (Get Out)” singer explained that her insecurities led her to abuse drugs and alcohol to feel “pretty” and “worthy,” which eventually spiraled out of control.

“I felt that how I was must have been not enough. Must have been dissatisfying,” JoJo said. “There were definitely nights that I stumbled out of clubs and that I blacked out. I was just completely reckless, did not care. I needed to be buzzed to feel okay. I would go to the edge, stand on my tiptoes on the edge and then come back. I should be dead.”

Stars Who Revealed They Got Sober
JoJo-Recalls-Being-Put-on-an-Extreme-'500-Calorie'-Diet-as-a-Teenager
JoJo attends the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards. Jim Smeal/BEI/Shutterstock

The “Too Little, Too Late” songstress shared that she stopped abusing substances because of her father, Joel Levesque, who passed away from drug addiction complications in 2015.

“I would’ve ended up like my dad, just going to sleep one day and not waking up. Because life is hard,” JoJo said.

She decided to take legal action against Blackground Records and was officially released from her contract in 2014. JoJo noted that she “didn’t get any money” or “any damages” from the case but was happy just to be “able to sign another record contract.”

Stars Who Have Bared Their Souls About Their Struggles

JoJo went on to re-record her first two albums owned by Blackground and launched her own record label through Warner Records, which will release her latest album, Good to Know, in the spring.

“This journey has been a journey of learning how to love myself,” JoJo said. “I feel really lucky, really, really grateful for the longevity that I have and for the resilience that I do have. But I work on it every day. I want to create a life for myself and I want to create a legacy.”

If you or someone you know is struggling with substance abuse, contact theSubstance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) National Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357).

Listen on Spotify to Us Weekly's Hot Hollywood as each week the editors of Us break down the hottest entertainment news stories!

from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/392MbsT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Beyonce Praises Meghan Markle for Her ‘Courage’ After Tell-All Interview

Ladies get into formation! Beyoncé showed her support for Meghan Markle after the duchess’ tell-all interview aired on Sunday, March 7. Stars React to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Bombshell Interview Read article “Thank you, Meghan for your courage and leadership,” Beyoncé, 39, wrote via her website on Tuesday, March 9, alongside a photo of the pair at the Lion King premiere in 2019. “ We are all strengthened and inspired by you .” Beyoncé previously paid tribute to the philanthropist, 39, when she and Jay-Z accepted the Brit Award for Best International Group in February 2019. During their speech, the couple stood in front of a portrait of Markle wearing a crown and pearl necklaces . The video was also a nod to the duo’s “APES—T” music video, in which the Mona Lisa was positioned behind them. Meghan Markle meets Beyonce Knowles and her husband, Jay-Z, as she attends the European premiere of the film The Lion King in London on July 14, 2019. Shutterstock “In hono