Skip to main content

Mod Sun Breaks Silence on His Split From Avril Lavigne

Finding love in the studio! After Avril Lavigne and Mod Sun collaborated on a single, fans quickly picked up on the chemistry between the musicians.

In December 2020, Lavigne teased that she was working on a new album that would include Mod Sun, Travis Barker and more. One month later, Lavigne and Mod Sun released the song “Flames,” which appeared on the rapper’s album Internet Killed the Rockstar.

At the time, a source exclusively told Us Weekly that the pair were “seeing each other” after forming a connection through music. Mod Sun later revealed that they were introduced through their mutual friend Machine Gun Kelly.

“We linked up through just talking about music,” the Minnesota native told Metro in February 2021, noting how starstruck he was when the Grammy Award nominee showed interest in his work. “It’s hard to even say because it’s f–king Avril Lavigne but she was like, ‘I really like your song, I really like your music,’ and she was like, ‘Send me some other stuff that you’re working on,’”

Although Mod Sun was initially nervous to ask Lavigne to work with him, the “Complicated” performer ended up as the only collaboration on the album.

“All of a sudden she comes through and I understood the song better after she sang it. I understood why this is a great song. Sometimes as an artist you don’t really know,” Mod Sun added. “It’s really hard to be, like, ‘This is the song that’s gonna make it, or this is the song that’s gonna blow up,’ You might think in your head that you have the idea of what’s gonna work every time, but most of the time you have no idea what you’re making when you’re making it.”

The Canada native, for her part, admitted that she tried to resist her connection with Mod Sun when they first met because of her past relationships. Lavigne was previously married to Deryck Whibley from 2006 to 2010. She was also married to Chad Kroeger from 2013 to 2015.

“Honestly, I really believed in love. And then I went through the wringer with it,” she told Nylon in December 2021. “Then I finally got back up on my feet and had a relationship just to get f–ked over again. I was just like, ‘I can’t believe that I’ve been hurt or mistreated by this many people. I need a break from relationships.”

Lavigne wasn’t looking for love when she started to grow closer to her now-boyfriend.

“I feel like I’ve had the wind knocked out of me over and over. I’m f–king sick of it. I need to take care of me right now.’ So I bought a house, and I wasn’t waiting for a guy to start a future with. I was like, ‘I’m doing this for me now. I’m the only person, I’m the only one I can rely on,'” she added, noting that she originally put in the “most” effort to not act on her feelings for Mod Sun.

Scroll on to relive the romance between Lavigne and Mod Sun:


January 2021
The twosome cowrote the single "Flames" and appeared in a music video for the song together. Courtesy MODSUN/YouTube
February 2021
Mod Sun recalled having to "build" up the courage to ask the "Sk8er Boi" singer to work together. "I actually sent her Flames, I want to say maybe two months ago at the most. That’s how this all happened, was that quickly," he told Metro in February 2021. "I sent it to her and she was like 'Wow, I really love this song.' and I didn’t have the guts immediately to be like 'So, you wanna sing on it?'" He continued: "I finally got the guts to ask her, and I was like 'Yo, there’s no one else on my album — I want so badly for you to be on my album as the only person that appears besides myself on it, and you said you really liked that Flames song.'" That same month, Mod Sun got Lavigne's name tattooed on his neck. Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock
March 2021
The couple were spotted out on a double date with Kelly and his now-fiancée, Megan Fox. iamKevinWong.com/MEGA; MEGA
September 2021
"I’m so lucky, I love this girl so much😍 internet killed the rockstar tour starts today! come see me + my band," Mod Sun captioned a sweet Instagram post with pics of the pair. "I love my life + I’m so grateful to have all of you on this journey with me. I’m literally living my dreams." Courtesy Mod Sun/Instagram
September 2021
"Happy birthday to my soulmate, the love of my life, my favorite person in the world…..my angel. To the most radiant + graceful woman I’ve ever laid eyes on, you have made my dreams come true in so many ways," Mod Sun gushed about his girlfriend in a birthday tribute via Instagram. "You are my calm in the chaos + my shelter from the storm. You are elegance + rock n roll wrapped up in one body. I was born without you, dying to find you, I’ll always remind you….I love you with all my heart @avrillavigne + the best is yet to come. Happy birthday my little icon 💚." Courtesy Mod Sun/Instagram
December 2021
The pop punk songstress opened up about how "hilarious" it was that she found love while working on music inspired by past heartbreak, telling Nylon, "It was like, 'OK, don't tell me you love me unless you mean it. Because I don't want to get f--ked up again.'" MediaPunch/Shutterstock
March 2022
During an appearance on The Kelly Clarkson Show, Lavigne recalled how she formed a connection with Mod Sun. "I went into the studio and literally was like, 'Here is where I am at. I am over love. I'm jaded on love right now,'" she shared in March 2022. "So I wrote that song 'Love Sux' and that set the tone for this album. And then a couple of days later, I had a boyfriend. I'm literally never single."   The Kelly Clarkson Show/YouTube
March 2022
“I mean, he's a really incredible songwriter and like [when] we met, I loved his song ‘Karma.’ I was like, ‘Who did you write this with and who produced it?’” the “Complicated” songstress exclusively told Us of working with Mod Sun on her Love Sux album. “And he was like, ‘John Feldmann.’ And so we got together to work because I was a fan of his music and he introduced me to John Feldmann and then the three of us just like wrote so many songs and had so much fun together.” RHTY/starmaxinc.com/Shutterstock
April 2022
The twosome attended the 64th annual Grammys together. David Fisher/Shutterstock
April 2022
The couple took to social media to announce their engagement. "Oui! Je t’aime pour toujours 🤍💍🥂Dimanche. 27. Mars. 2022," Lavigne captioned a post with photos from the special moment in Paris, France. Mod Sun, for his part, gushed about how he knew his now-fiancée was The One as soon as they met. "Together forever til our days are done. I had a dream where I proposed in Paris," he wrote via Instagram at the time. "You’re too beautiful for my words to describe. I grabbed your hand + took one last breath ... I said 'will you marry me?' + she said 'yes'. I love you Avril ❤️." Courtesy of Mod Sun/Instagram
September 2022
"You changed the world Avril never forget. You are that mother f--king princess. You make me better I must confess. I'd whisper 'I love you' with my last breath," the rapper wrote via Instagram as Lavigne turned 38. "There's so many words I wanna say, To my stunningly gorgeous fiancée, I'll leave it at this til we runaway…. Baby I wish you a happy birthday." Courtesy of Mod Sun/Instagram
February 2023
Us confirmed that Lavigne and Mod Sun had called off their engagement. “Avril and Mod Sun have been on and off for the past two months, but are no longer together as a couple,” a source exclusively told Us at the time. Meanwhile, Mod Sun’s rep claimed that the pair had been together days prior, saying in a statement, “They were together and engaged 3 days ago when Mod left for tour so if anything has changed that’s news to him." Image Press Agency/NurPhoto/Shutterstock
February 2023
"In 1 week my entire life completely changed," Mod Sun captioned an Instagram post. "I just know there's a plan for it all. I'll keep my head up + always listen my heart, even when it feels broken." He added: "Being surrounded by love every night on tour has been an absolute blessing. I have the best friends in the entire world, thanks for always having my back. See you on stage." Courtesy of Mod Sun/Instagram


from Celebrity News: Latest Celeb News & Pictures - Us Weekly https://ift.tt/YcnMHrj

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Baseball Legend Hank Aaron and More Stars We’ve Lost in 2021

It’s never easy to say goodbye. Scroll down to see Us Weekly ‘s tribute to the celebrities who died in 2021. Angie Jakusz The Survivor alum died in New Orleans following a long battle with cancer on January 8. She was 40. “Angie was an incredibly passionate person with an extraordinary lust for life,” her loved ones wrote in an obituary published via Nola.com. “Whether she was sewing, painting, drawing, doing nail art or makeup, costuming, reading, snorkeling, scuba diving, traveling or just raising hell, she did it lovingly and with laser precision. She was a founding member of the New Orleans Noise Coalition and had been a contestant on season 10 of Survivor.” Monty Brinton/CBS Joanne Rogers The musician, the widow of Fred Rogers , died in Pittsburgh on January 14. She was 92. No cause of death was given at the time. "Fred Rogers Productions is deeply saddened by the passing of Joanne Rogers. The loving partner of Fred Rogers for more than 50 years, she continued their