Skip to main content

Kelsea Ballerini Recalls Telling Morgan Evans Not to Come to 2021 CMTs

Kelsea Ballerini and Morgan Evans’ romance began with a meet-cute worthy of a rom-com and they made fans swoon for years until their 2022 split.

The “Peter Pan” singer found her man through music — after cohosting an award show in his native Australia in 2016. Tequila shots after a successful show is what ultimately sealed the deal for the pair and on their wedding day in December 2017, the couple toasted with tequila alongside their guests in Mexico.

The duo’s romance hasn’t been without its hiccups, however, with Ballerini previously joking that Evans burned the pancakes while asking her to marry him in December 2016.

“Loving him has been the greatest gift of my life. And now I get to do it for life,” she wrote via Instagram at the time after trolling the “Love Is Real” crooner for his kitchen proposal.

When Evans released his Things That We Drink To album in October 2018, he revealed that a lot of the songs paid homage to his relationship with the “Half of My Hometown” singer.

“It’s my story. It’s leaving behind everything and everyone you know to chase down a Country Music dream on the other side of the world. It’s the excitement of the unknown, its the fun, it’s the loneliness & it’s the struggle,” he wrote via Instagram at the time. “Its losing someone and finding the strength to keep your head up and make them proud. It’s meeting a girl, falling hopelessly, and marrying the love of your life.”

The “Hole in the Bottle” songstress later revealed that she had an “instant connection” with Evans, which played a part in their whirlwind romance.

“I’ve always loved the idea of relationships and love and all that, but I wasn’t sure I wanted to do the marriage thing,” Ballerini told Access Hollywood in August 2020. “My parents got divorced so I was kind of always really aware of that. As soon as I met him, he was just careful with the way that I love. And I always felt very safe loving him.”

Three years into their marriage, Evans gushed over his wife via Instagram. “Best 3 years of my life. Luckiest guy in the world. Happy Anniversary baby,” he wrote alongside a cozy couple snap in December 2020.

Nearly one year later, the “Day Drunk” crooner praised Ballerini for bringing out the “artist and poet” in him in celebration of her birthday in September 2021. The “I Quit Drinking” singer then returned the favor by pointing out a sweet gesture her husband did on her special day.

“It’s the running through a restaurant with a dozen roses today for me 😍,” she replied.

Less than one year later, however, news broke that Ballerini filed for divorce.

“Friends, I’ve always tried my best to share my life with you in a real and vulnerable way, while also protecting layers of my personal life as they unfold. This is now public record so I wanted you to hear from me directly that I am going through a divorce,” the “Heartfirst” singer wrote via Instagram Stories. “This deeply difficult decision is the result of a journey of love, growth, and effort that ultimately has come to an end. It’s hard to find the words here … but I feel extremely grateful for the years of marriage to Morgan and hopeful for the next seasons.”

Scroll down to relive Ballerini and Evans’ sweetest relationship moments:


March 2016
The musicians met cohosting Australia's Country Music Channel Awards. The pair’s romance began after Ballerini asked Evans to take a shot once the show ended, which led to their first kiss the same night. Evan Agostini/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
December 2016
The duo got engaged on Christmas day, less than one year after they started dating. Courtesy of Kelsea Ballerini/Instagram
December 2017
Nearly one year after their romantic proposal, the couple said “I do” in front of family and friends in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Broadimage/Shutterstock
August 2018
“Today, my guy’s song is the number one song in country music. I’ll spare you the sap, but to watch his journey with this song the last few years has made my heart explode from happiness,” the Tennessee native wrote via Instagram after Evans’ “Kiss Somebody” soar to the top of the charts. “You did it, babe. #KissSomebody #Actuallyjustkissme.” Jim Ruymen/UPI/Shutterstock
October 2018
The twosome collaborated on Evans’ “Dance With Me” after the Australian singer previously sang backup vocals on his wife’s Unapologetically album. Frank Micelotta/Picturegroup/Shutterstock
June 2019
The couple hit the CMT Awards together in coordinated white outfits. imageSPACE/Shutterstock
November 2019
The twosome walked the carpet at the 2019 CMA Awards — but Ballerini later revealed they weren’t on good terms at the time. During an appearance on the “Call Her Daddy” podcast in February 2023 after their split, Ballerini said she “had to show up” with Evans after sleeping on the couch the night prior so people “don’t ask questions” about their marriage. She reflected on seeing the photos of the pair “walking the carpet with bags under our eyes.” In her song "Blindsided," Ballerini referenced the awards show and her emotional performance of "Homecoming Queen." “Like that one time in 2019, before that big show, we had a big fight,” she sings. “I slept on the couch and then the next night you put on your suit/ I put on a smile and sang about how it's OK to cry, dying inside.” Shutterstock
October 2020
“During this whole process, Morgan and I always kind of said we’re never gonna write together because, I don’t know, we just respect each other so much as songwriters,” Ballerini exclusively told Us Weekly of rerecording her self-titled album as an acoustic record amid the COVID-19 crisis. “I was worried that I’d get in the room and be like, ‘Oh, it’s weird that I’m writing a love song about you, with you.’ Like, I just thought I’d be so in my head about it. But we ended up starting to write together the last few months and it’s been so much fun.” Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock
October 2020
“Yesterday we moved out of our first place together. Almost 3 years of marriage in there. So many great memories,” Evans wrote via Instagram in honor of the couple’s move from an apartment in downtown Nashville into their first home in the suburbs. “Grateful for everyone! We look mega sleepy in the photo, cause we took it at 5am as we left for the airport, but it had to be done. Onto the next adventure.” Courtesy of Morgan Evans/Instagram
December 2020
“In our third year of marriage we were quarantined ... and we got better at Mario Kart, communicating, making dinner, and being best friends,” Ballerini wrote via Instagram. “Happy anniversary.” Courtesy of Kelsea Ballerini/Instagram
December 2020
“Blurry, merry, and very chilly. Sending love to you and your families this Christmas and wishing you a feeling of joy and magic that we all desperately need this season,” the “Miss Me More” singer wrote alongside an Instagram photo with her husband on Christmas. “And may your dogs not always look at you with disapproving judgmental glares...” Courtesy of Kelsea Ballerini/Instagram
January 2021
The lovebirds went to the Great Smokey Mountains in Tennessee to “reset” after the ups and downs of 2020. Courtesy of Kelsea Ballerini/Instagram
April 2021
The “Dibs” singer shared a series of cozy photos with Evans in honor of his 36th birthday, calling him “my guy.” The snaps included the couple jet skiing, boating, eating popcorn at the movies and enjoying ice cream. Courtesy of Kelsea Ballerini/Instagram
June 2021
Ballerini attended the CMT Awards without Evans. “2021, I host the CMT Awards and he just wasn’t there. I was like, ‘You cannot come.’ It was so bad,” Ballerini said on “Call Her Daddy” two years later. “I had to work and I had to show up and I knew that if he was there — we were in and out of separation and just not good — and I was like, ‘I don’t want to fake it.’" Shutterstock
August 2021
Evans wore a shirt with his wife’s face on it to kick off the Jonas Brothers’ Remember This tour, which featured Ballerini as the special guest, in Las Vegas. “So glad I got to see the first weekend of her tour, the show is out of control great and I can’t wait to see a bunch more!!!” he captioned a cheeky photo with his love. Courtesy of Morgan Evans/Instagram
September 2021
“You can’t take the country (or the glitter) outta my girl 🤠,” the “We Dream” crooner captioned a snap of the pair wearing matching cowboy hats in Connecticut just days after Ballerini’s 28th birthday. Courtesy of Kelsea Ballerini/Instagram
October 2021
The pair goofed off on a trip to Virginia Beach, Virginia, riding around the beach town on a peddle cab. Courtesy of Morgan Evans/Instagram
March 2022
Ballerini slayed the ACM Awards red carpet in a Saint Laurent black gown while her husband donned a matching black suit. The Tennessee native later took the stage with Dolly Parton for a duet. Eric Jamison/AP/Shutterstock
April 2022
The “Peter Pan” songstress gushed over her husband ahead of the CMT Music Awards, which she cohosted with Anthony Mackie and Kane Brown. During an appearance on E! News’ Daily Pop, Ballerini revealed that Evans is always by her side — or backstage — when she emcees an event.“When I’m wearing that many hats [he has to be there]. He’s very steady, he’s very calm, and I’m like the Energizer bunny,” the Tennessee native explained. “I’m like always like, ‘Ah, what’s next?’ He’s very good at keeping me steady. Especially on a night like Monday, it’s gonna be needed.” Mark Humphrey/AP/Shutterstock
April 2022
After testing positive for COVID-19 days prior to cohosting the CMT Music Awards, Ballerini helped run the show from her and Evans’ home. While Evans didn’t appear on camera during the show, he did pose for photos with his wife on their makeshift red carpet, which was located on their driveway. “My kinda carpet ✌️ @cmt #cmtawards,” the Aussie singer captioned a series of photos via social media, including one of him drinking a hard kombucha while wearing shorts and a T-shirt on the pink carpet. Evans didn’t put on shoes for the snaps, as opposed to Ballerini who wore a white Michael Kors suit. Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock
July 2022
“We don’t [write together]," Ballerini shared on Jimmy Kimmel Live! about working solo on her music. “You know, because we do the same thing all the time so we already bring it home. Imagine, like, them coming home and you’re, like, ‘Hey, like this hook? You want to write it?’ It’s just too much.”  She added: “We both show each other everything. We’re pretty brutal. So I can only show him something if I’m like, ‘I know I love this, so even if he thinks it sucks, I’m still going to hang my hat on it.’ But I think you have to have that with anyone in your inner circle. You need that brutal honesty to you know, to know if it’s good or not.” Jamie Schramm/Country Music
August 2022
Ballerini filed for divorce on August 26, which was also listed as the date of separation, per court documents obtained by Us. She asked her fans for support on August 29. “With very active schedules coming up, please be mindful that we are both fragile, actively healing, and showing up the best we can,” she wrote via Instagram Stories. Evans, for his part, spoke out about the end of their marriage later that day. "I am very sad to confirm that after almost 5 years of marriage, Kelsea and I are parting ways. I wish it were otherwise but sadly it is not," he shared via social media. Courtesy Kelsea Ballerini/Instagram
October 2022
After releasing his new song "Over For You," Evans opened up about how he was inspired by his personal life. "I recorded this vocal on the same day we wrote the song,” he shared in a press release for the single. "It was a difficult time in my life and writing this helped me process a lot of what I was going through." Evans added: "I’d like to thank everyone that has reached out the last few weeks, both those with messages of support and those sharing their own stories." Shutterstock (2)
November 2022
Ballerini detailed her emotional last day in her marriage to Evans during an appearance at the Grand Ole Opry. "The truth is that this morning I started my day at the courthouse finalizing my divorce,” she told the crowd. “And then getting nominated for a Grammy, and then getting the keys to my dream home, and now standing in the circle of the Opry." The “Peter Pan” songstress added: "And s--t, if that ain't country music, I don't know what is." Matt Baron/BEI/Shutterstock
February 2023
Ballerini dropped a six-song EP titled Rolling Up the Welcome Mat with telling lyrics, seemingly slamming Evans’ breakup anthem “Over For You.” “And now you’re saying that you’re lost / And that’s lost on me,” the lyrics read. “Years of sitting across from me in therapy / I know the truth is hard to hear, but it wasn’t hard to find / Baby, were you blindsided or were you just blind?” Shutterstock (2)
February 2023
After she dropped Rolling Out the Welcome Mat and went on “Call Her Daddy,” Evans slammed his ex. “It’s really sad for me to see this person, who I spent so much of my life with, and loved with all my heart, saying things that aren’t reality and that leave out what really happened,” he wrote via Instagram. “She knows I’m not the type of guy to speak on those things publicly. If this is what she needs to heal, I hope it helps.” River/MEGA; Stephen Lovekin/Shutterstock


from Celebrity News: Latest Celeb News & Pictures - Us Weekly https://ift.tt/g912Kxm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Baseball Legend Hank Aaron and More Stars We’ve Lost in 2021

It’s never easy to say goodbye. Scroll down to see Us Weekly ‘s tribute to the celebrities who died in 2021. Angie Jakusz The Survivor alum died in New Orleans following a long battle with cancer on January 8. She was 40. “Angie was an incredibly passionate person with an extraordinary lust for life,” her loved ones wrote in an obituary published via Nola.com. “Whether she was sewing, painting, drawing, doing nail art or makeup, costuming, reading, snorkeling, scuba diving, traveling or just raising hell, she did it lovingly and with laser precision. She was a founding member of the New Orleans Noise Coalition and had been a contestant on season 10 of Survivor.” Monty Brinton/CBS Joanne Rogers The musician, the widow of Fred Rogers , died in Pittsburgh on January 14. She was 92. No cause of death was given at the time. "Fred Rogers Productions is deeply saddened by the passing of Joanne Rogers. The loving partner of Fred Rogers for more than 50 years, she continued their