Skip to main content

Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen: A Timeline of Their Relationship

Tom Brady and Gisele Bündchen may look like the picture-perfect couple, but the NFL pro and the model aren’t afraid to admit that their relationship has gone through ups and downs.

“I’m blessed to find this life partner that we all kind of seek at different times in our life,” the former New England Patriots quarterback told Access Hollywood in May 2016. “We found each other at the right time. We’ve been through a lot of ups and downs together, and in so many ways, that’s kind of built our relationship so strong.”

While Brady noted the pair, who wed in 2009, have faced “challenges,” he added that they are always there for each other.

“It’s great to have that rock that you can always lean on that can support you in different ways that you need to,” he explained at the time.

The Lessons: My Path to a Meaningful Life author, who shares son Benjamin and daughter Vivian with the athlete, revealed the key to her long-lasting romance with Brady in January 2020.

“I think the important part is to have fully present moments with everybody,” she told The Observer. “I think that leads to fulfillment, because they don’t have half of you, they have all of you in that moment and then they get recharged.”

Four months later, a source exclusively told Us Weekly that the couple of 11 years have “gotten even closer over the years by being open and honest with one another and by committing to each other and prioritizing their family.”

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback, who is also father to son John from his previous relationship with Bridget Moynahan, tries to keep his personal life private, but often gushes about his wife on social media.

Brady quoted a portion of Stevie Wonder’s “You Are the Sunshine of My Life” on Bündchen’s 40th birthday in July 2020, adding: “‘You are the sunshine of my life. That’s why I’ll always be around. You are the apple of my eye. Forever you’ll stay in my heart’ ❤ ❤ .”

Scroll down to revisit Brady and Bündchen’s relationship.


December 2006
After meeting through friends in 2006, Brady and Bündchen started seeing each other that December.  “I knew right way — the first time I saw him,” she recalled to Vogue in 2009 about Brady. “We met through a friend. The moment I saw him, he smiled and I was like, ‘That is the most beautiful, charismatic smile I’ve ever seen!’ We sat and talked for three hours. I had to go home for Christmas, but I didn’t want to leave. You know that feeling of, like, you can’t get enough? From the first day we met, we’ve never spent one day without speaking to each other.” David X. Prutting/Patrick McMullan/Getty Images
February 2007
The twosome faced their first public relationship roadblock in February 2007 after news broke the football player was expecting a child with his ex-girlfriend Bridget Moynahan. (Brady and Moynahan dated from 2004 to 2006.) The former Victoria’s Secret Angel opened up about the difficult time in her 2018 memoir, Lessons: My Path to a Meaningful Life. “Two months into our relationship, Tom told me that his ex-girlfriend was pregnant. The very next day, the news was everywhere and I felt my world had been turned upside down,” Bündchen wrote, noting that Moynahan’s pregnancy “wasn’t an easy time” for her. Christopher Peterson/Getty Images
August 2007
Brady became a father in August 2007 after Moynahan gave birth to his eldest son, John Edward Thomas Moynahan.  “[He made] my heart expand in ways I didn’t know was possible,” Bündchen wrote in her memoir about her “bonus child.”  Randy Brooke/WireImage/Getty Images
January 2009
After two years of dating, Brady and Bündchen got engaged in January 2009. Chance Yeh/Patrick McMullan/Getty Images
February 2009
Following a brief engagement, Brady and Bündchen tied the knot in Santa Monica in February 2009. "We planned it in like 10 days, and it was perfect," the athlete recalled to GQ that November. "We went back to the house and I barbecued aged New York strips. We had champagne, a cake, some ice cream. It was a great night. I think you always have this idea that weddings need to be 200 people and you invite everybody, and I'm all for it if people want to do that, but I think there was really something special about just having our parents there." Timothy A. Clary/AFP/Getty Images
April 2009
Two months into their marriage, the duo threw a second wedding in Costa Rica. "The thing about it is, the day's for you," Brady told GQ in November 2009 about the couple’s decision to only invite family to their weddings. "It's nothing personal against anybody, but it's not about them. It's about what you and your wife need for that day." Randy Brooke/Getty Images
December 2009
Brady and Bündchen welcomed their first child together, a son named Benjamin, in December 2009.  Lars Niki/Corbis/Getty Images
December 2012
Three years later, the Brady family grew again. The Brazilian model gave birth to their daughter, Vivian, in December 2012. John Tlumacki/The Boston Globe/Getty Images
February 2012
Bündchen made headlines in February 2012 after she defended Brady following the Patriots loss to the New York Giants during Super Bowl XLVI.  "My husband cannot f—king throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. I can't believe they dropped the ball so many times,” she yelled at the time. Weeks later, the couple put on a united front while on vacation in Costa Rica with Brady’s then-teammate Wes Welker.  John Tlumacki/The Boston Globe/Getty Images
September 2015
A source told Us in September 2015 that things were “very tense” between Brady and Bündchen after deflategate, an NFL controversy revolving around accusations that Brady ordered the deflating of footballs in the AFC Championship Game in the 2014-2015 NFL playoffs.  Brady addressed the marriage troubles later that month. “We’re in a great place," he told a Boston radio station at the time. "I’ll just say that." Gary Gershoff/WireImage/Getty Images
September 2016
A year after the divorce rumors, Brady and Bündchen packed on the PDA on the red carpet and during an Italian getaway in September 2016. Jamie Squire/Getty Images
October 2018
Bündchen admitted in her 2018 memoir that the pair struggled after welcoming their first child together.  “You’re overwhelmed and tired when you’re not the nicest partner,” she wrote about parenting. “When someone you love is happy, it makes you happy. Or if they’re sad, it makes you sad. You suffer with them and you have joy with them.” Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images
January 2019
Bündchen jumped for joy in January 2019 after the Patriots defeated the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship game and earned Brady’s ninth trip to the Super Bowl.  "I first want to say hi to my wife, I love you so much,” Brady said during his post-game interview. Bündchen shared the clip on her Instagram Story and replied, “Love you, baby.”  James Devaney/GC Images/Getty Images
February 2019
Brady and Bündchen celebrated their 10-year wedding anniversary with sweet Instagram tributes on February 26, 2019. “Ten years ago, I didn’t realize how much I could love you and the family we created together,” the NFL star captioned a throwback wedding photo. “My heart is so full and I am so blessed! I know our journey has not been easy, but the challenges we have overcome have made our bond stronger and our love grow deeper. Thank you for loving me, for supporting my dreams, and for nurturing our family in the way that only you could. You are my rock, my love and my light! I love you and I love our family!”  Bündchen, for her part, wrote that she couldn’t “believe” the pair have been married for 10 years.  “There is nothing that I love more in this world than you and our family,” the model penned alongside three photos of the twosome through the years. “Thank you for being on this journey with me and for doing the work that it takes to make it so special. May we continue growing together, walking side by side supporting and loving one another for many many years to come.” George Pimentel/Getty Images
July 2019
Mamai!” Brady wrote in honor of his wife’s 39th birthday on July 20, 2019 via Instagram. “You are the light that illuminates our days!!! We love you so much!!” he added in the Brazilian model’s native Portuguese. Courtesy Gisele Bündchen/Instagram
August 2019
“Happy birthday love of my lifeeey! Life is so much better because we can share it with you!” the author wrote via Instagram on Brady’s birthday in August. “Thank you for being our rock, and the avocado to my toast ! We love you! ❤️❤️❤️❤️.” Courtesy Gisele Bündchen/Instagram
September 2019
The six-time Super Bowl champion opened up about his relationship with the Lessons: My Path to a Meaningful Life author to Men’s Health for its September 2019 cover story admitting that Bündchen isn’t “really into sports.” “She’s like a kite flying in the sky and kind of tethering her,” he explained. “Sometimes I have to hold on hard. But she knows I’m always there for her.” Shutterstock
November 2019
The mother of two shared a sweet photo of herself and her decade-long husband embracing in November and revealed that if it wasn’t for Brady the Boston winters would get to her. “My friends always ask me as a brazilian how do I survive the New England cold. I have a really cozy @tombrady blanket. ❤️,” she wrote at the time. Shutterstock
December 2019
According to Brady the key to a successful relationship with his longtime love is “CCC.” During the series premiere of E!’s In the Room in December 2019, the quarterback explained it means, “Clear, current communication.” He continued: “Clear, like, ‘This is exactly how I’m feeling.’ And current, not like, ‘This happened six months ago.’ And you communicate about it. I think that’s helped us a lot.” “It’s not like because I’m a football player, her life is going to stop,” Brady told E!’s Jason Kennedy at the time about his marriage to the supermodel. “The challenging part for us is we are very ambitious people. A lot of the times, I’m going one direction and she’s going in the other. It’s ships passing in the night. I’m going to football, and she’s got things she’s doing, and oh, by the way, the kids.” Shutterstock
February 2020
The couple each shared a sweet photo for Valentine’s Day in 2020. On it, Brady wrote, “My forever Valentine ❤️,” while Bündchen captioned hers, “My forever Valentine.Te amo! Wishing you all a happy Valentine’s Day ❤️❤️❤️.” The two continued to gush about each other in the comments. The California native wrote, “Te amo muito 😍. But you already know that” on his wife’s photo. The Brazil native added, “What a cutie I have ❤️😍” in response to her husband’s post. Courtesy Tom Brady/Instagram
February 2020
“I can’t believe it's been 11 years since we devoured this delicious cake after we came home from our wedding. Happy anniversary love of my lifey!!! Thank you for making life so sweet!” the model wrote via Instagram on the couple’s 11th wedding anniversary on February 26, 2020. The California native also shared a photo in honor of the pair’s anniversary, writing, “You have always been the one to hold us up and you love us the way no one else can. And we love you so much in return. Happy Anniversary Love of my Life 😍😍😍.” Courtesy Tom Brady/Instagram
April 2020
Brady admitted he needed to “check” himself in order to get his marriage with Bündchen back on track. “There was a couple years ago, she didn’t feel I was doing my part for the family,” he explained on The Howard Stern Show. “She felt like I would play football all season and she would take care of the house, and then all the sudden when the season would end, that I’d be like, ‘Great, let me get into all my other business activities. Let me get into my football training.’ And she’s sitting there going, ‘Well, when are you going to do things for the house? When are you going to take the kids to school and do that?’” The Tampa Bay Buccaneers player revealed that he made a “big transition” to resolve their issues, adding, “She wasn’t satisfied with our marriage. So I needed to make a change in that.” Charles Sykes/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
April 2020
The NFL pro celebrated Easter by sharing a pic of the couple kissing along. The photo was accompanied by a sweet message about what’s most important to him. “This Easter has been a truly unique one,” he wrote via Instagram. “I was thinking this morning of how the busyness of my life often keeps me from recognizing the most simple and joyful moments over the course of a year. Like this one; being surrounded by my family, sharing a beautiful sunset and realizing these moments are the ones that matter the most to me. Blessings from our family to yours!” Matt Baron/Shutterstock
May 2020
A source told Us exclusively that the couple put their family first amid the coronavirus pandemic. “With the quarantine, it’s a challenge for them like any other parents trying to stick to a normal routine in the household,” the insider revealed. “But this added time together is such a gift. They’re making the most of it during the off-season and prioritizing family time before training really kicks into high gear for Tom.”   Stephen Lovekin/BEI/Shutterstock
June 2020
The model gushed over the first photos of Brady in his Tampa Bay Buccaneers uniform. She commented via Instagram, “What a cutie!!!” Tampa Bay Buccaneers/ MEGA
July 2020
Brady celebrated his wife’s 40th birthday by posting a photo of Bündchen and their children. In the post’s caption, his sweet message featured lyrics from “You Are the Sunshine of My Life” by Stevie Wonder. “Happy 40th Birthday @gisele,” he wrote before adding, “‘You are the sunshine of my life. That’s why I’ll always be around. You are the apple of my eye. Forever you’ll stay in my heart’ ❤️ ❤️ .” Matt Baron/Shutterstock
August 2020
To honor Brady’s 43rd birthday, Bündchen posted a loving tribute for the athlete via Instagram. “Happy birthday love of my life! You are the best dad, the best partner and the best friend,” she wrote, sharing photos of the pair with their kids and of Brady by himself. “We are so lucky to have you in our lives and we are looking forward to all the adventures ahead. We love you so much!” ZUMA Press/MEGA
September 2020
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback revealed in September 2020 that having sex with his wife is not a part of his gameday ritual. “Oh man, that’s probably off the table. I wouldn’t say it’s probably never happened, but I don’t think that would be the moment,” he said on the “Armchair Expert” podcast at the time. “That wouldn’t be my pre-game warm-up.” Courtesy of Gisele Bündchen/Instagram
December 2020
“As the sun sets on 2020, I want to say thank you to my wife for the love and positive energy in always supporting my dreams,” Brady wrote via Instagram in December 2020 heading into the new year. “I am the blessed in so many ways, but @gisele you are my Numero Uno! Happy New Years to you all! Let’s make 2021 our best year yet! ❤️🙏🏼✨🥑🏈‼️” The supermodel commented on her husband’s sunset kissing photo, writing, “Awww te amo❤️ Let’s make 2021 our best year yet!” Courtesy Tom Brady/Instagram
January 2021
“We love and are so proud of you, papai!!!” Bündchen wrote via her Instagram Story in January 2021 alongside a screengrab of her husband following his NFC Championship win. “Oh, that's the way, uh-huh uh-huh I like it!!!!” she later tweeted in support of Brady going to the Super Bowl once again. “Yeeeeeah Super Bowl here we come!!!!!!” Courtesy Gisele Bundchen/Instagram
February 2021
After Brady won his seventh Super Bowl during his first year with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Bündchen celebrated her husband’s achievement via Instagram. “Congratulations my love! Over the years I have seen you overcome so much adversity, physically and emotionally. I can for sure say you are the most dedicated, focused and mentally tough person I have ever meet,” she captioned a photo of the couple posing with their kids after the game. “It has been a challenging year and watching you in a new environment, putting in the extra time to get to know and support your teammates, working with your new coaches with respect and grace, waking up extra early every day to deal with the bumps and bruises of playing football, never complaining, you just kept focusing on your goal to go out there and be the best leader you can be.”   She continued, “I am so proud of the man you are and I am so happy to see the smile on your face every time you get to go out there and throw that ball. Now, we are so happy that we get to have you home for a little while (well, at least until next season 😉) You have earned all your success! Te amo❤️.” ERIK S LESSER/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
February 2021
Bündchen referred to Brady as her “forever lovvvey” while sharing an adorable pic of her kissing his cheek on Valentine’s Day. The quarterback called the model is “Forever Valentine” in his own sweet Instagram tribute. Courtesy Tom Brady/Instagram
February 2021
Brady celebrated the couple’s 12th wedding anniversary by sharing a heartfelt message alongside a sweet photo of the duo with their children at Super Bowl LV. “Happy anniversary!! I couldn’t have imagined a better wife and partner than you @gisele when I said ‘I do’ 12 years ago,” he captioned the Instagram post. “I have had so much fun, happiness and joy seeing our family grow! You are the sweetest, most loving and determined person I know. You always do what’s right, and you are the best example for our kids of what a supportive loving partner is! How blessed am I?? Te amo.”     Sharing several photos of the lovebirds over the years via Instagram, Bündchen wrote: “Happy anniversary my love! I can’t believe it’s already been 12 years! We have gone trough so much and have grown so much together. There nothing that I love more then you and our family and there is no one that I rather share my life with then you! Te amo ❤️.” Courtesy Gisele Bundchen/Instagram
May 2021
"Happy Mother’s Day @gisele. You love us and support us like no other," Brady captioned a black and white photo of his wife and their children via Instagram in May 2021. "Have a special day!" John Angelillo/UPI/Shutterstock
June 2021
"Te amo, my forever valentine ❤️ Te amo, meu eterno namorado," the model wrote alongside a photo of the pair with a sunset behind them via Instagram in June 2021. Courtesy Gisele Bundchen/Instagram
July 2021
Brady celebrated his wife’s 41st birthday with a happy photo of the birthday girl holding their daughter, Vivian. “Happy Birthday 😍😍! This has been an incredible year and it’s hard to imagine loving you more today than I did a year ago, but I do!” the athlete shared via Instagram. “You love our family the way nobody else can and we all celebrate you on this day! Te amo Tanto meu amor da minha vida! ❤️❤️” Matt Baron/Shutterstock
August 2021
The supermodel commemorated her husband's 44th birthday with a sweet Instagram post including lyrics from the song "Can't Take My Eyes Off You," made famous by Frankie Valli. "Happy Birthday love of my life!" she added in her caption. "Thank you for sharing your life with me! Te amo @tombrady."  Matt Baron/Shutterstock
October 2021
Brady noted that his successful career has forced a tough conversation in his marriage since Bündchen put work on hold to raise the pair's kids. "It's a very difficult issue to reconcile without just saying, 'Hey, it's time to retire,'" he said on his "Let's Go" podcast. "And I think there's, you know, we're coming to the end here too, so I don't want to miss any of the kids' stuff."The athlete continued: "I think my wife has, you know, held down the house for a long time now, and I think there's things that she wants to accomplish. You know, she hasn't worked as much in the last 10, 12 years just raising our family and kind of committing to being in a life in Boston and then moving to Florida." Mark Humphrey/AP/Shutterstock
January 2022
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback revealed that he was taking Bündchen into account when thinking about stepping back from football. “My wife is my biggest supporter. It pains her to see me get hit out there,” Brady said on an episode of his “Let’s Go!” podcast. “She deserves what she needs from me as a husband and my kids deserve what they need from me as a dad.” Adding that he wanted to spend as much time with the supermodel and their children as possible, Brady addressed his next big career move. “I’m gonna spend some time with them and give them what they need, ’cause they’ve really been giving me what I need the last six months to do what I love to do,” he said, referring to the 2021-2022 NFL season. “I said this a few years ago, it’s what relationships are all about.  It’s not always what I want.  It’s what we want as a family.  And I’m gonna spend a lot of time with them and figure out in the future what’s next.” Chris O'Meara/AP/Shutterstock
February 2022
Brady paid tribute to his Bündchen while announcing his retirement from the NFL after 22 seasons, writing via Instagram, “To my wife, Gisele, and my children, Jack, Benny and Vivi. You are my inspiration. Our family is my greatest achievement.”The quarterback, who played for the New England Patriots for 20 years and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for two seasons, added: “I always came off the field and home to the most loving and supportive wife who has done EVERYTHING for our family to allow me to focus on my career. Her selflessness allowed me to reach new heights professionally, and I am beyond words what you mean to me and our family. Te amo amor da minha vida.”The mother of two replied to her husband’s post, writing, “What an incredible ride this has been! You know that we are always here to support you my love. Looking forward to what the future holds. Te amo.” ERIK S LESSER/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
February 2022
"13 years ago, we both said 'I do' ... and you have been the best thing that ever happened to my life," Brady wrote in an anniversary post via Instagram. "I love you more now than I ever could have imagined. You are the best mother and wife and supporter in the world and I am blessed to call you my wife. Te amo muito meu amor, happy anniversary @gisele." Stephen Lovekin/BEI/Shutterstock


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/1xOrSTR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Baseball Legend Hank Aaron and More Stars We’ve Lost in 2021

It’s never easy to say goodbye. Scroll down to see Us Weekly ‘s tribute to the celebrities who died in 2021. Angie Jakusz The Survivor alum died in New Orleans following a long battle with cancer on January 8. She was 40. “Angie was an incredibly passionate person with an extraordinary lust for life,” her loved ones wrote in an obituary published via Nola.com. “Whether she was sewing, painting, drawing, doing nail art or makeup, costuming, reading, snorkeling, scuba diving, traveling or just raising hell, she did it lovingly and with laser precision. She was a founding member of the New Orleans Noise Coalition and had been a contestant on season 10 of Survivor.” Monty Brinton/CBS Joanne Rogers The musician, the widow of Fred Rogers , died in Pittsburgh on January 14. She was 92. No cause of death was given at the time. "Fred Rogers Productions is deeply saddened by the passing of Joanne Rogers. The loving partner of Fred Rogers for more than 50 years, she continued their