Skip to main content

Chrissy Teigen’s Sobriety Journey: Everything She’s Said About Getting Clean

Putting in the work. Chrissy Teigen has been vocal about her ups and downs while dealing with her sobriety, beginning in 2017 when she first cut out alcohol — and again in 2020 when she recommitted to being sober.

The Cravings: All Together author told Cosmopolitan in August 2017 that she was “point blank, just drinking too much” when she chose to ditch alcohol.

“Nobody really brought it up to me,” Teigen explained at the time, noting that she has a history of alcohol abuse in her family. “They just assumed that it was OK because I always felt OK the next morning [after drinking a lot]. I knew in my heart it wasn’t right.”

The Utah native, who is married to John Legend, recalled her excess drinking making her become “very short with people” from time to time.

“People think it’s cutesy and fun to go on these boozy brunches, but there’s more to it. I’ve never once been like, ‘I’m sure glad I had that boozy brunch!’” she added, noting that she decided to stop drinking after having a “really, really wonderful” time in Bali while completely sober.

In the years that followed, Teigen started to drink again, but after receiving a book on her 35th birthday in November 2020 titled Quit Like a Woman, she recommitted to a sober life.

The following month, the mother of two, who shares daughter Luna and son Miles, with Legend, confirmed that she was four weeks sober.

Since then, Teigen has celebrated different milestones on her journey, including hitting her 50 days sober marker in September 2021.

“I still dunno if I’ll never drink again but I do know it no longer serves me in ANY way,” she wrote via Instagram at the time. “I don’t get more fun, I don’t dance, I don’t get relaxed. I get sick, fall asleep and wake up sick, having missed what was probably a fun night.”

Two months later, the businesswoman reflected on Thanksgivings past while celebrating her first holiday sober.

“I used to start my thanksgiving prep with a shot of cafe patron (COFFEE TEQUILA) and I’d pretty much take another every couple of hours,” she wrote via Instagram in November 2021, adding that she finally got to “enjoy” watching her family have fun while cooking and feasting.

Scroll down to see what Teigen has said regarding her sobriety journey over the years:


Cutting Back
“I got used to being in hair and makeup and having a glass of wine,” Teigen told Cosmopolitan in August 2017, noting that she needed to reduce her alcohol intake. “Then that glass of wine would carry over into me having one before the awards show. And then a bunch at the awards show. And then I felt bad for making kind of an ass of myself to people that I really respected.” The model explained that she made the choice herself, revealing there is a history of alcohol abuse in her family. “I used to think it was kind of nutty to have to go totally sober,” she said. “But now I get it. I don’t want to be that person. … I have to fix myself.” Anthony Harvey/Shutterstock
4 Weeks Sober
The Chrissy’s Court star revealed in December 2020 that she was again sober. After sharing a goofy video of herself dancing in a swimsuit via Instagram, one fan jokingly commented, “I need whatever drugs you’re on!!” Teigen replied, “4 weeks sober,” alongside a string of heart emojis and praying hands emojis. Courtesy of Chrissy Teigen/Instagram
The Book That Inspired the Change
The mother of two credited writer Holly Whitaker’s book, Quit Like a Woman, for inspiring her to make a change in her life. She noted via her Instagram Story in December 2020 that she received the book on her 35th birthday one month prior, which is when everything clicked. “I got this book from my doctor and friend,” she wrote. “I was done with making an ass of myself in front of people (I’m still embarrassed), tired of day drinking and feeling like s--t by 6, not being able to sleep.” Teigen continued: “I have been sober ever since. And even if you can’t see yourself doing or just plain don’t want to, it’s still an incredible read.” Janet Mayer/startraksphoto.com
The Loss of Her Son Jack
Teigen revealed in February 2021 that the September 2020 loss of her son Jack following pregnancy complications brought clarity to other aspects of her life. “Being Thai and being raised in a house that was very open about loss, I think it was really helpful because … it was a transformative thing for me,” the Cravings author told Ellen DeGeneres at the time. “In a way, [my late son, Jack], really saved me. I don’t think I would have discovered therapy and then sobriety and this path of really feeling good about myself and feeling like a new person.” Andrew H. Walker/Shutterstock
The Thrill of Italy
The Lip Sync Battle commentator detailed her first “sober trip” to Italy in August 2021. “We haven’t done something like this for soooo long, it made us feel young again!” she wrote via Instagram after the whirlwind getaway before thanking Unicef Italia and Luisaviaroma for having her and Legend and giving Zuhair Murad, Lorraine Schwartz and Jimmy Choo a shout-out for styling her for the event. “But really thanks for making me feel so pretty and helping me along in my quest to have my first sober Italian getaway,” Teigen continued. “I hate the word sober by the way, it’s so rehab/medical. Anyhow, honestly it was so so trippy being sober at something you typically would have been wasted at. That paired with all the crazy hot young models and club dudes and seeing your young self over and over, oh man it was crazy.” She concluded: “We had so much fun. I didn’t do anything I’d regret and I’m glad I’ll get to remember it all!!” Courtesy of Chrissy Teigen/Instagram
50-Day Marker
“Today is my 50-day sobriety streak,” she wrote via Instagram in September 2021. “It should be nearly a year but I had a few (wine) hiccups in the road. This is my longest streak yet!” Andrew H. Walker/Shutterstock
Thanksgiving High
“The first time I have ever been able to enjoy everyone enjoying dinner!!” Teigen wrote via Instagram in November 2021 alongside photos of her family’s Thanksgiving feast. “I didn’t even make any crucial recipe errors this year! toot toot goes the horn! anyhoo hope you had a beautiful holiday. grateful for you and your love 💗.” Courtesy of Chrissy Teigen/Instagram


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/3xq2Qnr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Baseball Legend Hank Aaron and More Stars We’ve Lost in 2021

It’s never easy to say goodbye. Scroll down to see Us Weekly ‘s tribute to the celebrities who died in 2021. Angie Jakusz The Survivor alum died in New Orleans following a long battle with cancer on January 8. She was 40. “Angie was an incredibly passionate person with an extraordinary lust for life,” her loved ones wrote in an obituary published via Nola.com. “Whether she was sewing, painting, drawing, doing nail art or makeup, costuming, reading, snorkeling, scuba diving, traveling or just raising hell, she did it lovingly and with laser precision. She was a founding member of the New Orleans Noise Coalition and had been a contestant on season 10 of Survivor.” Monty Brinton/CBS Joanne Rogers The musician, the widow of Fred Rogers , died in Pittsburgh on January 14. She was 92. No cause of death was given at the time. "Fred Rogers Productions is deeply saddened by the passing of Joanne Rogers. The loving partner of Fred Rogers for more than 50 years, she continued their