Skip to main content

Jonah Hill's Ups and Downs Through the Years

Finding his happiness. In addition to embarking on new creative career endeavors over the years, Jonah Hill has been on a journey of self-discovery in order to find personal and professional happiness.

I came up in goofy comedies and was this kind of, like, curly-haired, overweight kid, and everyone had their own opinion on what I should be, how they could speak to me, how they could treat me,” the Superbad star confessed during an October 2018 appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show. “I became famous in my late teens and then spent most of my young adult life listening to people say that I was fat and gross and unattractive, and it’s only in the last four years writing and directing my movie Mid90s that I’ve started to understand how much that hurt and got into my head.”

He continued: “I’m under construction like we all are, you know what I mean? We’re all just trying to figure it out.”

Two years later, Hill opened up about how his body image and the way people viewed him impacted his confidence and sense of style. “I think the biggest shift in my personal style was that I always had an interest in personal style and fashion, but I was always a bigger guy,” he told GQ in November 2020. “It’s really hard when you’re overweight to dress a certain way, because clothes aren’t made for people who are overweight to have style. So, I think it surprises people. Even now, I’ll overhear someone discussing my place in the fashion world or whatever, and people are like, ‘That guy? The schlubby guy from Superbad?'”

Hill wasn’t just being pigeonholed in terms of expressing his personal style — he was also struggling to break out of being typecast in comedic roles. “When I started to do dramas as an actor, people were like, ‘Stay in your lane, dude, stay in your lane.’ And I bucked against that, even at a young age. … And then when people started writing about my fashion sense, same kind of thing,” the 22 Jump Street star explained. “And then I’m just like, ‘Wait, how many times do I have to tell myself I can’t do something? I’ve done all these things that I was told that I couldn’t do. Just keep going, just go on the journey of being into the s–t you’re into.'”

After years of grappling with his self-image, Hill revealed that he has finally reached a point where he’s not afraid of what others think about him. “I think, as you grow as a person and as an artist, of course you have a better sense of self,” he told the outlet. “The idea was realizing, whether I was big or small, that I really can define my own personal style. I think that’s a dope wave that’s happening right now in culture, too.”

As the Knocked Up actor’s perception of himself shifted, so did his goals. “Work s—t comes easy to me,” he told GQ Style in August 2021. “I want to be happy. I literally want to be happy. That is the mission of my life, that I work hard at.”

Keep scrolling to see Hill’s ups and downs over the years:


2005
Audiences were first introduced to Hill thanks to a small but unforgettable role in The 40-Year-Old Virgin as a customer at Trish (Catherine Keener)'s store. YouTube
2007
Two years later, the California native became a leading man when he starred opposite Michael Cera and Christopher Mintz-Plasse in the raunchy teen comedy Superbad. "It’s still this beautiful thing. It’s so rad my nephews think it’s awesome that I’m in Superbad. Adam Sandler told me I’m his daughter’s favorite comedian because of Superbad," Hill told Vanity Fair in August 2022 about the film's lasting legacy. "When I hear my dad and his friends talk about college, I think that’s how my kids are gonna hear me and Michael talk about making Superbad." Melissa Moseley/Columbia/Sony/Kobal/Shutterstock
2011
Following roles in other successful comedies like Accepted, Knocked Up and This is the End, Hill lost a significant amount of weight in order to break away from being typecast as the "schlubby" funny guy. "It was just mostly diet," he told ABC News in 2012. "I wish there was some crazy thing that I did, like a pill or a genie or something. ... I went to see a nutritionist, and he told me what to eat to change my habits and stuff." Dave Allocca/Starpix/Shutterstock
2012
The Cyrus star earned his first Oscar nomination in 2012 for his performance as Oakland A's assistant general manager Peter Brand in the 2011 drama Moneyball.  Scott Rudin Productions/Kobal/Shutterstock
2014
Hill earned his second best supporting actor Oscar nomination in 2014 for his performance in The Wolf of Wall Street. He later revealed that he took a massive pay cut to play the role of Donnie, Jordan Belfort (Leonardo DiCaprio)'s right-hand man, just for the opportunity to work with director Martin Scorsese. "They gave me the lowest amount of money possible. That was their offer and I said, 'I will sign the paper tonight. Fax 'em the papers tonight,'" he told Howard Stern in 2014. "I would have done anything in the world. I would do it again in a second. This isn't about money. You should do things that you care about." Appian Way/Paramount/Kobal/Shutterstock
2017
Amid his professional success, the filmmaker dealt with a personal tragedy when his older brother, Jordan Feldstein, died at age 40 after suffering a heart attack. "It's painful," he explained during a 2018 interview with Howard Sternwhen asked about his brother's death. "I miss him and I love him and I wish he was here." Courtesy of Sharon Feldstein/Instagram
2018
The screenwriter made his directorial debut with the film Mid90s, a coming-of-age film inspired by his own childhood in the 1990s. He also wrote and produced the film, which was praised by critics. Tobin Yelland/Kobal/Shutterstock
2019
Us Weekly confirmed that Hill was engaged to content manager Gianna Santos in September 2019. “Oh, my God, I mean, he’s my best friend in the world, so I’m always excited for him,” his sister, Beanie Feldstein, gushed about the engagement to Us and other outlets in January 2020. Carlo/MEGA
2020
Just over one year after he popped the question, Us confirmed in October 2020 that Hill and Santos had called it quits. “The spark went in Jonah and Gianna’s relationship,” a source told Us at the time. Odette Martin/Shutterstock
2021
After shirtless photos of him surfaced online, Hill opened up about learning to accept his body in a candid Instagram post. “I don’t think I ever took my shirt off in a pool until I was in my mid 30s even in front of family and friends. Probably would have happened sooner if my childhood insecurities weren’t exacerbated by years of public mockery about my body by press and interviewers,” he wrote in February 2021. “So the idea that the media tries to play me by stalking me while surfing and printing photos like this and it can’t phase [sic] me anymore is dope. I’m 37 and finally love and accept myself. This isn’t a ‘good for me’ post. And it’s definitely not a ‘feel bad for me post.’ It’s for the kids who don’t take their shirt off at the pool. Have fun. You’re wonderful and awesome and perfect. All my love.” Willy Sanjuan/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
2021
The 21 Jump Street star revealed that he was in a relationship with surfer Sarah Brady in October 2021. “Grateful for you @Sarahhbrady,” he wrote in a since-deleted Instagram post at the time, adding a red heart emoji. Evan Agostini/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
2021
In October 2021, Hill asked his fans to stop keep their thoughts about his body — whether positive or negative — to themselves. "I know you mean well but I kindly ask that you not comment on my body," he wrote via Instagram at the time. "Good or bad I want to politely let you know it's not helpful and doesn't feel good. Much respect." Evan Agostini/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
2021
After taking a short break from the spotlight, Hill played a key role in Adam McKay's Oscar-nominated dramedy Don't Look Up, which was released on Netflix in December 2021. Netflix/Moviestore/Shutterstock
2022
The Maniac alum announced that he would no longer take part in press tours to promote his films after realizing that the attention had a negative effect on his mental health. "Through this journey of self-discovery within the film, I have come to the understanding that I have spent nearly 20 years experiencing anxiety attacks, which are exacerbated by media appearances and public-facing events," he wrote in an open letter, which was first published by Deadline in August 2022. “If I made myself sicker by going out there and promoting [my projects], I wouldn’t be acting true to myself or to the film." Manuel Romano/NurPhoto/Shutterstock


from Celebrity News: Latest Celeb News & Pictures - Us Weekly https://ift.tt/WFhsUSX

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Beyonce Praises Meghan Markle for Her ‘Courage’ After Tell-All Interview

Ladies get into formation! Beyoncé showed her support for Meghan Markle after the duchess’ tell-all interview aired on Sunday, March 7. Stars React to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Bombshell Interview Read article “Thank you, Meghan for your courage and leadership,” Beyoncé, 39, wrote via her website on Tuesday, March 9, alongside a photo of the pair at the Lion King premiere in 2019. “ We are all strengthened and inspired by you .” Beyoncé previously paid tribute to the philanthropist, 39, when she and Jay-Z accepted the Brit Award for Best International Group in February 2019. During their speech, the couple stood in front of a portrait of Markle wearing a crown and pearl necklaces . The video was also a nod to the duo’s “APES—T” music video, in which the Mona Lisa was positioned behind them. Meghan Markle meets Beyonce Knowles and her husband, Jay-Z, as she attends the European premiere of the film The Lion King in London on July 14, 2019. Shutterstock “In hono