Skip to main content

Breaking Down Olivia Rodrigo, Joshua Bassett and Sabrina Carpenter’s Triangle

Disney drama! Us Weekly is breaking down Olivia Rodrigo’s alleged feud with High School Musical: The Musical — The Series costar Joshua Bassett and Sabrina Carpenter, amid their music faceoff.

The Bizaardvark alum, 17, made headlines in January 2021 after releasing her debut single, “Driver’s License.” The hit song resonated with Rodrigo’s fans, including Taylor Swift, but it also caused some to think that it was about the rumored drama between her, Bassett, 20, and Carpenter, 21.

Eagle-eyed fans pointed out that Rodrigo changed the lyrics from her 2020 teaser track from “brunette” to “blonde,” seemingly referencing the Girl Meets World alum in one verse.

“And you’re probably with that blonde girl / Who always made me doubt / She’s so much older than me / She’s everything I’m insecure about,” the Grace Stirs Up Success star sings, hinting at Carpenter’s hair color and the fact that she is three years older than her.

Rodrigo’s track came six months after Bassett released the song, “Anyone Else,” in July 2020, which appeared to be about her. “How am I supposed to think about anything else? / How am I to go on keeping this to myself? / I am done pretending I want anyone else / Anyone else, anyone else,” Bassett sings. He later confirmed that the track was written about falling for a friend who was unavailable.

In her song, Rodrigo, sings, “I just can’t imagine how you could be so OK now that I’m gone / Guess you didn’t mean what you wrote in that song about me.”

Although the costars have never addressed whether they were ever romantically involved, fans believe that Rodrigo and Bassett were an item in 2020. The Stuck in the Middle alum, however, seemed to move on with Carpenter in June 2020, after the pair were spotted at a protest together in L.A.

Rodrigo has yet to identify who inspired her new track, but both Bassett and Carpenter have since dropped songs of their own, hinting that they are in fact the source of inspiration for “Driver’s License.”

Bassett’s January 2021 release, titled, “Lie, Lie, Lie,” came out on January 14, one week after Rodrigo’s song hit the airwaves.

“I wrote ‘Lie, Lie, Lie’ after I found out a friend had been lying about me behind my back for a long time,” the Oceanside, California, native wrote via his Instagram Stories at the time. “It always sucks to hear that someone you thought you could trust would throw you under the bus when it benefits them.”

He added: “It happens to all of us, and I think all you can do is seek out people that build you up rather than tear you down.”

The following week, the Clouds actress shared what appeared to be her side of the story, in the January 22 release of “Skin.”

“Maybe we could’ve been friends / If I met you in another life,” Carpenter sings at one point in the track. She later seemingly referenced Rodrigo’s title, with the lyric, “Don’t drive yourself insane.”

Scroll down to see everything that has unfolded between the Disney Channel stars amid their alleged feud.


More Than Friends?

Fans claimed that the costars dated in 2020, but neither Rodrigo nor Bassett have confirmed whether they were more than friends.

Walt Disney Pictures/Kobal/Shutterstock
New Romance

Bassett has been linked to Carpenter since June 2020, when they were spotted at a Black Lives Matter protest in Los Angeles. The pair have not publicly confirmed their romance but shared videos on TikTok wearing matching Halloween costumes in October 2020.

Shutterstock (2)
Forbidden Love

The Stuck in the Middle alum released his “Anyone Else” album in July 2020. In the title track, he sings about loving someone who is already in a relationship. He later spoke about the inspiration behind the song, telling Broadway World that he wrote it after realizing “that I was hopelessly falling in love with a close friend … who was in a relationship with someone else.”

Letting It Out

After the Bizaardvark alum released her song “Driver’s License” in January 2021, fans speculated that it was about her rumored feud with Bassett and his new flame, Carpenter. “And you’re probably with that blonde girl / Who always made me doubt / She’s so much older than me / She’s everything I’m insecure about,” she sings in one verse.

Eagle-eyed fans pointed out that in her teaser of the single, released via Instagram in 2020, the lyrics were about a “brunette,” but was changed on the final version to “blonde,” seemingly hinting at Carpenter. Rodrigo also sang, “Guess you didn’t mean what you wrote in that song about me,” which some listeners think was referring to Bassett’s “Anyone Else” track.

No Name Drop

“I totally understand people’s curiosity with the specifics of who the song’s about and what it’s about, but to me, that’s really the least important part of the song,” Rodrigo told Billboard in January 2021 about who inspired her hit single. “It’s resonating with people because of how emotional it is, and I think everything else is not important.”

Walt Disney Pictures/Kobal/Shutterstock
The Lying Game

“I know what you say about me / I hope that it makes you happy / You can’t seem to get me off your mind (Get me off your mind),” Bassett sings in his January 2021 track, “Lie, Lie, Lie,” seemingly reacting to Rodrigo’s song. “Oh, I know you’re lying through your teeth / You told them the lies that you told me / I’ve had enough of it this time (Had enough this time).” The musician also released a corresponding music video on January 14, showing him driving alone in a car, in what appears to be a nod to his costar’s song.

Shutterstock
Clapping Back

The Girl Meets World alum released her own song, “Skin,” in January 2021, seemingly about the alleged feud between her and Rodrigo over Bassett. “I’m not asking you to let it go / You been tellin’ your side / So I’ll be tellin’ mine,” Carpenter sings, noting in the chorus, “You can try / To get under my, under my, under my skin / While he’s on mine / Yeah, all on my, all on my, all on my skin / I wish you knew that еven you / Can’t get under my skin if I don’t let you in.”

In another line, the Adventures in Babysitting star sings that “maybe ‘blonde’ was the only rhyme,” allegedly pointing to being called a “blonde girl” in Rodrigo’s track.

Singing Her Praises

“Been stuck in my head since I heard it,” Bassett wrote on his Instagram Story in January 2021, praising Carpenter’s new song. “Congratulations @sabrinacarpenter on ‘Skin,’ the new label, & all that’s to come.”

Shutterstock (2)
Singing the Cares Away

Hours after the Horns actress dropped “Skin,” Rodrigo posted a video of herself on her Instagram Story singing Taylor Swift’s “…Ready for It?” while in her car. The Disney star sang the verse, “I see nothing better I keep him forever / Like a vendetta-ta / I-I-I see how this is gonna go / Touch me and you'll never be alone / I-Island breeze and lights down low / No one has to know,” which seemed to hint at the back and forth drama between the three stars.

Courtesy Olivia Rodrigo/Instagram
Clearing the Air

Carpenter shut down rumors that she "wrote a diss track" about Rodrigo in a January 2021 Instagram post about the release of "Skin." She also called "Drivers License" a "magnificent" song. "['Skin'] isn’t calling out one single person,” she insisted. “Some lines address a specific situation, while other lines address plenty of other experiences I’ve had this past year.. it also shows that many things have actually gotten under my skin.. and I’m still learning to not give other people so much power over my feelings."

Shutterstock (2)
Adding Fuel to the Fire

Bassett released “Only a Matter of Time” on January 28, which he revealed was written in the summer of 2020, around the same time that he first started seeing Carpenter after his alleged fallout with Rodrigo. In the song, he talks about drama and a back-and-forth relationship, seemingly hinting at his own love triangle. “It’s only a matter of time / An eye for an eye / You’ll go blind / And when did you stop being kind? / You twisted your words like a knife,” he sings in the chorus. “I’m sure that you’re hurting inside / Why would you make your pain mine? / Making me pay me for your crimes.”

YouTube


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/2LX1woD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Beyonce Praises Meghan Markle for Her ‘Courage’ After Tell-All Interview

Ladies get into formation! Beyoncé showed her support for Meghan Markle after the duchess’ tell-all interview aired on Sunday, March 7. Stars React to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Bombshell Interview Read article “Thank you, Meghan for your courage and leadership,” Beyoncé, 39, wrote via her website on Tuesday, March 9, alongside a photo of the pair at the Lion King premiere in 2019. “ We are all strengthened and inspired by you .” Beyoncé previously paid tribute to the philanthropist, 39, when she and Jay-Z accepted the Brit Award for Best International Group in February 2019. During their speech, the couple stood in front of a portrait of Markle wearing a crown and pearl necklaces . The video was also a nod to the duo’s “APES—T” music video, in which the Mona Lisa was positioned behind them. Meghan Markle meets Beyonce Knowles and her husband, Jay-Z, as she attends the European premiere of the film The Lion King in London on July 14, 2019. Shutterstock “In hono