Skip to main content

Everything 'Bachelorette' Winner Zac Clark Has Said About His Sobriety

In his own words. Zac Clark has been candid about his battle with addiction since appearing on The Bachelorette.

The New Jersey native opened up to lead Tayshia Adams about his sobriety during their one-on-one date, which aired on a December 2020 episode of the series.

“I had a brain tumor. The next morning, I’m, like, in surgery. Crazy, life-altering experience,” he said. “As a result of the surgery, I was introduced to pain medication and drugs.”

Clark also spoke about how his substance abuse struggles affected his first marriage to Jennifer Stanley-George, telling Adams that she left him after he got a DUI.

“She did nothing wrong. It’s important to say. But at that point like I’m drinking, doing drugs, and just partying,” he said. “For the next kind of, like, eight months, it got pretty gnarly.”

Stanley-George, for her part, broke her silence during an interview with Us Weekly.

“He said [on the show], ‘I left after a DUI’ — I don’t even remember him getting a DUI honestly,” she told Us. “He lied to me about it for years. Our entire relationship he lied to me about his drug use. I mean, I didn’t know. I was very naive.”

Stanley-George added that Clark is a “different person” in 2020 than he was during their brief marriage. (The twosome wed in 2009 and separated in January 2011. Their divorce was finalized in 2012.)

“He needed to do [get clean] for himself, not for me,” she told Us. “And I think at that point, if we had stayed together, he would have been doing it for me.”

After the finale, Zac exclusively told Us that he had no regrets about being so open on the reality show.

“It’s who I am, you know, so I’m very comfortable with that part of my life,” he said. “And I think there’s been a lot of questions about that. And for me, it was important to let Tayshia know who I am to my core, and if she wasn’t going to be OK with that, then we [would have] just went our separate ways. But that’s not what happened. She was very open-minded and understanding. And for me, as a whole, like, there’s this whole thing around addiction and mental illness — a stigma. And I don’t even like that word because I feel like it does exactly what we’re trying not to do, which, hopefully, you know, people can see that. I went on this journey, and here I am, and, you know, I live a really blessed life.”

Clark cofounded Release Recovery, an addiction recovery program in Westchester, New York, in 2017. Scroll through for more about his battle with addiction:


His DUI

“I was in a bad way, scary,” Clark told Adams on the series about his arrest. “It was, like, touch and go. Moments of like, ‘I’m not sure if I’m gonna make it to tomorrow.’”

Courtesy of Zac Clark/Instagram
The Story of Rhonda

In December 2020, Clark recalled meeting his “angel” Rhonda Jackson nearly a decade earlier in August 2011.

“Rhonda didn’t know me, didn’t care what I looked like and didn’t judge me. She just knew that I needed help as I tried to cash a forged check so I could get some quick money and keep getting high. Rather than call the cops, Rhonda called my dad (whose name was on the check as the account owner). 3 days prior, I had stolen a handful of checks from my father’s desk and left without a word to anyone,” he wrote via Instagram. “For days, my family looked for me but no luck. Rhonda’s call not only told my father that I was still alive but where I could be found. He rushed down to the bank just in time before I disappeared back to the streets. Two days later I was in treatment getting help and the rest is history.”

 

Courtesy of Zac Clark/Instagram
His Dad’s Support

Clark’s dad shared his side of the story during a deleted scene on the hometown dates of The Bachelorette.

“I remember every detail about that day. It’s embedded in my mind. Phone rings and it’s the lady from Pennsauken police that they had arrested you and I said, ‘Can you hold him?’” Dough Clark recalled. “And I got in the car and it was the longest ride, which is only 10 minutes. But, for me, it was the longest ride because I was so afraid. That’s where we were with you in that point in time. And I’ll never forget this as long as I live: I looked at you, and I said, ‘It’s time to go home.’”

Zac called the moment “the beginning of a rebirth.”

He explained: “When you put your arm on my arm, when you said, ‘Son, we’re going home,’ and here I am strung out on every drug under the sun — and you put your arm on my arm and said, ‘Son, we’re going home,’ I said nothing,” he said. “But I [felt] something leave me. It’s like that moment of clarity or whatever it is. That’s a day I’ll never forget.”

 

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Tayshia’s Reaction

“She didn’t have any direct, I think, experience with it but she definitely had an open mind and she asked all the right questions. Like, early on, she said, ‘Can I drink and then kiss you?’ She’s a sweetheart,” Clark said on the “Whine Down” podcast in January 2021. “It was one of the things that I was most attracted to in her is that — not only with me, but with all the guys there — she was able to take on a lot of s–t and hold space for us.”

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Not Drinking on the Show

While there was speculation that Clark was drinking on the ABC series, he revealed on the “Clickbait” podcast in December 2020 that he hasn’t touched drugs or alcohol since August 2011.

“No, there was no drinking on the show,” he said. “And I gotta say, you know, everyone who worked on the show, anytime there was a toast, there was someone with [sparkling] apple cider [for me].”

 

Craig Sjodin/ABC
Tayshia’s Support

Clark revealed on “Clickbait” that he knew Adams was serious about him when she opted not to drink during one rose ceremony.

“The guy came out with the tray of champagne and there was four champagnes and one apple cider and she looks at him and she goes, ‘No, I’m drinking apple cider with him tonight,’” he said. “And I said, ‘What?!’ She made the guy go back, get an apple cider while all these people are waiting. So, she was on team Clarky that day, and that’s when I knew.”

Courtesy of Zac Clark/Instagram
Proud of His Progress

“I’m really proud of who I am and it’s a huge part of me. [Recovery] allows me to live the badass, next-level life that I get to live,” he said on “Whine Down” in January 2021.

Courtesy of Zac Clark/Instagram


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/3sXsLQA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Beyonce Praises Meghan Markle for Her ‘Courage’ After Tell-All Interview

Ladies get into formation! Beyoncé showed her support for Meghan Markle after the duchess’ tell-all interview aired on Sunday, March 7. Stars React to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Bombshell Interview Read article “Thank you, Meghan for your courage and leadership,” Beyoncé, 39, wrote via her website on Tuesday, March 9, alongside a photo of the pair at the Lion King premiere in 2019. “ We are all strengthened and inspired by you .” Beyoncé previously paid tribute to the philanthropist, 39, when she and Jay-Z accepted the Brit Award for Best International Group in February 2019. During their speech, the couple stood in front of a portrait of Markle wearing a crown and pearl necklaces . The video was also a nod to the duo’s “APES—T” music video, in which the Mona Lisa was positioned behind them. Meghan Markle meets Beyonce Knowles and her husband, Jay-Z, as she attends the European premiere of the film The Lion King in London on July 14, 2019. Shutterstock “In hono