Skip to main content

Celebrities React to ‘Ellen’ Allegations

Adding their two cents. Scooter Braun, Brad Garrett, James Woods and more celebrities weighed in on Ellen DeGeneres amid allegations that her talk show fostered a toxic work environment.

BuzzFeed News reported in July that 10 former staffers of The Ellen DeGeneres Show alleged they faced racism, fear and intimidation behind the scenes of the Emmy-winning series.

“That ‘be kind’ bulls–t only happens when the cameras are on. It’s all for show,” one former employee told the outlet. “I know they give money to people and help them out, but it’s for show.”

While the ex-employees agreed that the behavior was due to the executive producers and senior staffers, they believe the Finding Dory star, 62, should have intervened.

“If she wants to have her own show and have her name on the show title, she needs to be more involved to see what’s going on,” another former staffer told BuzzFeed. “I think the executive producers surround her and tell her, ‘Things are going great, everybody’s happy,’ and she just believes that, but it’s her responsibility to go beyond that.”

DeGeneres addressed the allegations and apologized to her staff in a lengthy letter on July 30.

“On day one of our show, I told everyone in our first meeting that The Ellen DeGeneres Show would be a place of happiness – no one would ever raise their voice, and everyone would be treated with respect,” she wrote in a letter obtained by Us Weekly. “Obviously, something changed, and I am disappointed to learn that this has not been the case. And for that, I am sorry. Anyone who knows me knows it’s the opposite of what I believe and what I hoped for our show.”

Hours later, BuzzFeed News published a second report that alleged sexual misconduct by the show’s head writer and executive producer Kevin Leman, executive producer Ed Glavin and co-executive producer Jonathan Norman. Leman, 42, and Norman have denied the allegations. Glavin hasn’t publicly addressed the claims yet but Variety reported that he plans to step down from his role on the show.

In May, DeGeneres also faced an onslaught of allegations that she has a track record of being mean to staffers and guests of the show off-camera.

A source told Us at the time, “She thought this was all just sour grapes from a few haters. But it’s not a passing thing — the hits just keep coming.

Despite the backlash, the Daytime Emmy winner received some support. Braun, 39, sent DeGeneres words of encouragement via Twitter on Friday, calling her a “kind, thoughtful, courageous human being.”

Other stars such as Garrett, 60, backed the claims against the Ellen’s Game of Games host saying that it’s “common knowledge” that she treats people “horribly.”

Scroll down to see celebrities’ reactions to DeGeneres’ allegations.


Rosie O’Donnell

The former View cohost expressed her feelings about the controversy on August 26. “You can’t fake your essence,” she said during an episode of the “Busy Philipps Is Doing Her Best” podcast. “That’s why I have compassion for Ellen, right? I have compassion, even though, you know, I hear the stories and I understand. I think she has some social awkwardness.” 

Broadimage/Shutterstock
Octavia Spencer

The Oscar winner weighed in on the claims about DeGeneres' allegedly "toxic" workplace by sending "love and support" to those involved. "All of my interactions with everyone from the show including ELLEN were supportive and fun!" she wrote via Instagram on August 12. "In that spirit I am praying all involved get the love and support they need." After a "lively debate" broke out in the comments section, Spencer amended her statement. "I also believe that all of the voices of her employees need to be heard. Past and present," she wrote. "Speaking truth to power is the only way change happens. My truth is everyone was kind to me. From the PAs to the producers. So yeah! I want all of those people to feel valued and heard. And no, people are NOT always kind to talent! #AllVoicesNeedToBeHeard #beyekindonetoanother."

Magnus Sundholm/Shutterstock
Andy Richter

The longtime Conan personality chimed in after comedian Ashley Nicole Black called out the "widely accepted" trend of "toxic workplaces" in the entertainment industry. "There's toxicity tolerated by higher-ups in every industry," Richter tweeted on August 5. "But few of those workplaces are controlled by a manager who's entire brand is being 'nice.'"

Shutterstock
Jay Leno

“I don’t discard a 40-year friendship on hearsay,” the former Tonight Show host tweeted on August 4. “The Ellen I know has raised over $125 million dollars for charity and has always been a kind and decent person. I fully support her. Jay Leno.”

Paul Drinkwater/Nbc Tv/Kobal/Shutterstock
Ashton Kutcher

“I haven’t spoken with @TheEllenShow and can only speak from my own experience. She & her team have only treated me & my team w/ respect & kindness,” the That ‘70s Show alum tweeted on August 4. “She never pandered to celebrity which I always saw as a refreshing honesty. When things aren’t right she handles it and fixes.”

Rob Latour/Shutterstock
Alec Baldwin

“In the entertainment business, sometimes people can go too far in pursuit of a creative or commercial goal. Or people who work for you may do so,” the Saturday Night Live star tweeted on August 4. “Having stated that, @TheEllenShow has always been kind to me. So...there’s that.”

Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
DJ Tony Okungbowa

“I have been getting calls asking me about the Ellen Degeneres Show and I would like to address the time I spent there. I was on air talent from 2003-2006 and from 2007 -2013,” DeGeneres’ former DJ wrote via Instagram on August 4. “While I am grateful for the opportunity it afforded me, I did experience and feel the toxicity of the environment and I stand with my former colleagues in their quest to create a healthier and more inclusive workplace as the show moves forward.”

Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Kevin Hart

“It’s crazy to see my friend go thru what she’s going thru publicly. I have known Ellen for years and I can honestly say that she’s one of the dopest people on the f--king planet,” the comedian wrote via Instagram on August 4. “She has treated my family and my team with love and respect from day 1. The internet has become a crazy world of negativity .... We are falling in love with people’s downfall. It’s honestly sad … When did we get here?” 

Hart continued, “I stand by the ones that I know and that I love. Looking forward to the future where we get back to loving one another .... this hate s--t has to stop. Hopefully it goes out of style soon .... This post is not meant to disregard the feelings of others and their experiences .... It’s simply to show what my experiences have been with my friend. Love you for life Ellen.” 

DeGeneres previously stood up for Hart in 2019 when he faced backlash when his old homophobic tweets resurfaced. The issue ultimately led to him stepping down from hosting the Oscars that year.

Stewart Cook/Shutterstock
Diane Keaton

In an all-caps Instagram statement, Keaton rallied behind DeGeneres amid the controversy surrounding her daytime series. “I always enjoyed my visits to The Ellen Show. I’ve seen how the audience exudes happiness and gratitude,” she wrote on August 4. “She gives back to many, including me.”

Jim Smeal/Shutterstock
Katy Perry

“I know I can’t speak for anyone else’s experience besides my own but I want to acknowledge that I have only ever had positive takeaways from my time with Ellen & on the @theellenshow,” the “Smile” singer tweeted on August 4. “I think we all have witnessed the light & continual fight for equality that she has brought to the world through her platform for decades. Sending you love & a hug, friend @TheEllenShow.”

JAMES ROSS/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
Kris Jenner

After Portia de Rossi declared that she was standing by her wife amid the drama and thanked fans for their kindness in an Instagram post on August 3, the Keeping Up With the Kardashians star showed her support with a "like."

Ryan Miller/Shutterstock
Jerry O’Connell

On August 3, the Kangaroo Jack actor made sure his followers knew where he stood on the Ellen show drama. "Love Ellen and Portia. Always have. Always will," he wrote via Instagram, reposting an image shared by de Rossi earlier that day that read, "I Stand By Ellen" across a blue background.

In an interview with Entertainment Tonight, he elaborated. "I've known Ellen and Portia for almost three decades now and I saw that Portia Instagrammed out, 'All of our friends, we need your support right now.' And I felt compelled to [repost] it," O'Connell said. "I'm not gonna let Instagram comments and Twitter comments tell me who can and can't be my friends, I just wanted Ellen and Portia to know that I love them very much."

He continued: "Of course I believe all victims, I believe all stories, and obviously something has to change in that work environment. But I do love Portia and Ellen. I do. And it's gonna take a lot to change my love for them."

Stephen Lovekin/Shutterstock
Samantha Ronson

"Unpopular opinion: I've worked for @TheEllenShow as a dj, for her parties, for years and she has ALWAYS been respectful and kind to me," the DJ tweeted on August 3, defending the Finding Nemo star's reputation.

Erik Pendzich/Shutterstock
Nacho Figueras

"I have been patiently waiting for someone with more authority than me to speak up about what a great human being @theellenshow is,” the polo player wrote via Instagram on August 2. "I have been very lucky to be on that show many times and I can tell you that it is a very well run machine, everyone was super nice, not just to me but to each other and anyone involved. I have seen Ellen act not just in her show but in public appearances in theaters where she is nice to absolutely everyone, the guy serving the coffee, the person in the elevator, the security guy and the owner of the venue. Everyone loves her because that is who she is. She makes the world a better place for millions of people everyday and we cannot hit her because something may have not been perfect. No one is perfect, and we cannot control everything."

He added, "So I stand for you my friend and I challenge all the amazing people that know you and call you a friend to say who you are. The world has become a very dangerous place because it seems that we cannot make anything right. If I am going to be criticized for defending someone that I think deserves to be defended then so be it. We are all so scared to say what we really think and it seems that we are only relevant if we say whatever the trending social media topic is. So... We love Ellen right? @jenniferaniston @jlo @michelleobama @pink @seanhayes @ladygaga @katyperry @justintimberlake and whoever else should be on this list which is really long."

Courtesy of Ignacio Figueras/Instagram
Scooter Braun

“People love to take shots. They love to see people fall. How quickly so many forget. How easy it is to stay quiet when it doesn’t effect [sic] them,” the music manager tweeted on July 31. “@TheEllenShow is a kind, thoughtful, courageous human being who stands for what is right and highlights on her show the best of us.”

He added, “She has helped change the views for equality all around the country and the world. She doesn’t do what is popular she does what is right. Her story shows us that. Today I’m sending love to her. I know first hand how much she helps others both when we are all watching and when we are not. @theellenshow thank you for all you do and keep your head held high.”

Shutterstock
Brad Garrett

“Sorry but it comes from the top ⁦@TheEllenShow,” the Everybody Loves Raymond alum tweeted on July 31. “[I] know more than one [person] who were [sic] treated horribly by her.⁩ Common knowledge.”

Shutterstock
Lea Thompson

"True story. It is," the Back to the Future star tweeted on July 31 in response to Garrett's claim that DeGeneres' bad behavior is "common knowledge."

Shutterstock
Andy Lassner

The Ellen DeGeneres Show executive producer said on July 30 that the show isn't in jeopardy after a fan told him they hoped he could "find employment quickly" if the show "goes off the air."

Lassner replied, "Nobody is going off the air."

Shutterstock
James Woods

"Awww. The Left eats another of its own. #CancelCultureCannibalism," the Once Upon a Time in America star tweeted on August 1.

Shutterstock


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/31dfXII

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Baseball Legend Hank Aaron and More Stars We’ve Lost in 2021

It’s never easy to say goodbye. Scroll down to see Us Weekly ‘s tribute to the celebrities who died in 2021. Angie Jakusz The Survivor alum died in New Orleans following a long battle with cancer on January 8. She was 40. “Angie was an incredibly passionate person with an extraordinary lust for life,” her loved ones wrote in an obituary published via Nola.com. “Whether she was sewing, painting, drawing, doing nail art or makeup, costuming, reading, snorkeling, scuba diving, traveling or just raising hell, she did it lovingly and with laser precision. She was a founding member of the New Orleans Noise Coalition and had been a contestant on season 10 of Survivor.” Monty Brinton/CBS Joanne Rogers The musician, the widow of Fred Rogers , died in Pittsburgh on January 14. She was 92. No cause of death was given at the time. "Fred Rogers Productions is deeply saddened by the passing of Joanne Rogers. The loving partner of Fred Rogers for more than 50 years, she continued their