Skip to main content

Beyonce, Kim Kardashian, Obama and More Demand Justice for George Floyd

Celebrities have been using their social media platforms to raise awareness and demand justice after the death of George Floyd.

The 46-year-old died in Minneapolis on May 25 after police officer Derek Chauvin pressed a knee into his neck for eight minutes and 46 seconds. Chauvin, 44, did not move even as Floyd repeatedly groaned, cried and said, “Please, the knee in my neck, I can’t breathe.”

Bystanders captured the incident on video and urged Chauvin and fellow officers Thomas K. Lane, Tou Thao and J. Alexander Kueng to “let him breathe.” After Floyd went silent and stopped moving on the ground, the bystanders repeatedly asked police to check his pulse, with one wondering, “Did they f–king kill him?” Another local pointed out that Floyd, who was being taken into custody for allegedly attempting to use a counterfeit $20 bill at a deli, was “not resisting arrest or nothing.”

The Minneapolis Police Department fired Chauvin, who is white, and the three other arresting officers on May 26 as the FBI began a civil rights investigation. Chauvin was later arrested and charged second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter, while Lane, Thao and Kueng were charged with aiding and abetting murder.

The medical examiner classified Floyd’s death as a homicide on June 1, saying he “experienced a cardiopulmonary arrest while being restrained by law enforcement officer(s).” The North Carolina native also suffered from heart disease, hypertension and the coronavirus and had fentanyl in his system when he died, although none of those factors were listed under his cause of death. A separate autopsy commissioned for Floyd’s family also ruled his death a homicide.

Scroll down to see the #JusticeForGeorgeFloyd tributes that celebrities including Beyoncé, Kim Kardashian, Barack Obama and Rihanna have shared on social media.

For more information, visit Blacklivesmatter.com.


Elton John

The "Tiny Dancer" singer said that he thinks "the system is rigged against Black people from the word ‘go,’" in an interview with Katie Couric as part of TIME's 100 Talks on June 25. "It amplifies that the world has to change," he explained. "It has to change the way it is about the planet and it has to change the way people think about Black lives. We have lived through Black people getting killed before, but this, I think is a real turning point and it has to happen. We have to make sure it happens."

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Sarah Jessica Parker

On June 9, the Sex and the City alum shared an emotional message to Instagram after Floyd’s funeral in Texas. “Today Mr. Floyd is laid to rest. However this historic march toward justice and equality, this unstoppable movement in his name and countless others’ is alive and its collective heartbeat far stronger than the fear that resists this inevitable and long overdue change,” her statement read. 

Broadimage/Shutterstock
Paul McCartney

"I know many of us want to know just what we can be doing to help. None of us have all the answers and there is no quick fix but we need change," the musician tweeted on June 5. "We all need to work together to overcome racism in any form. We need to learn more, listen more, talk more, educate ourselves and, above all, take action."

 

He then revealed The Beatles refused to play for a segregated audience in Jacksonville, Florida, in 1964. "It felt wrong. We said 'We're not doing that!' and the concert we did do was to their first non-segregated audience," McCartney wrote. "We then made sure this was in our contract. To us it seemed like common sense. I feel sick and angry that here we are almost 60 years later and the world is in shock at the horrific scenes of the senseless murder of George Floyd at the hands of police racism, along with the countless others that came before."

 

The icon continued: "All of us here support and stand alongside all those who are protesting and raising their voices at this time. I want justice for George Floyd's family, I want justice for all those who have died and suffered. Saying nothing is not an option."

 

Shutterstock
Ringo Starr

Starr retweeted McCartney's message, adding, "As my brother Paul said The Beatles always stood for equal rights&justice and I’ve never stopped working for peace&love ever since. #blacklivesmatter,#peaceispossible - I send my peace love&continuous support to everyone marching & speaking up for justice & a better world."

 

Shutterstock
Leonardo DiCaprio

On June 4, the Oscar winner pledged via Instagram to help achieve equality. “I commit to listen, learn and take action. I am dedicated to end the disenfranchisement of Black America, that has been present for too long,” he wrote. “I will support those individuals, organizations and coalitions that are committed to bring about long-term change.”

DiCaprio said that he would “be donating personally” to Color of Change, Fair Fight Action, The NAACP and Equal Justice Initiative.

Maria Laura Antonelli/AGF/Shutterstock
Meghan Markle

“What is happening in our country and in our state and in our hometown of L.A. has been absolutely devastating,” the Duchess of Sussex told the class of 2020 at her alma mater Immaculate Heart High School during a surprise commencement speech on June 3. “I wasn’t sure what I could say to you. I wanted to say the right thing. And I was really nervous that I wouldn’t or that it would get picked apart, and I realized — the only wrong thing to say is to say nothing. Because George Floyd’s life mattered and Breonna Taylor’s life mattered and Philando Castile’s life mattered and Tamir Rice’s life mattered, and so did so many other people whose names we know and whose names we do not know.”

Nick Jonas and Priyanka Chopra Jonas

“@priyankachopra & I have heavy hearts ... The reality of the inequalities in this country, and around the world, are glaring. Systemic racism, bigotry and exclusion has gone on for far too long, and remaining silent not only reinforces it, but it allows it to continue,” the “Jealous” singer wrote via Instagram on June 3. “The time to take action is NOW. It’s no longer enough to say ‘I’m not racist’. We must all do the work to be ANTI racist and stand with the black community. In our first step towards our continued efforts to help fight this fight, Pri and I have donated to the @eji_org & @aclu_nationwide. We stand with you and we love you. #BlackLivesMatter #JusticeForGeorgeFloyd.”

Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Kevin Jonas and Danielle Jonas

“We understand that we will never understand, however we will stand,” the Jonas Brothers member wrote via Instagram on June 3. “As a parent, you spend each and every day worrying about the welfare of your children, doing your best to prepare them for the world. It completely breaks our hearts to think of the fears that parents in the black community have to face, and the difficult conversations they must have with their children. No matter who you are or where you come from, we must take action to stop racism. It’s time for systemic change and that change needs to happen NOW. We have donated to the @naacp_ldf and @eji_org and we will continue to stand in this fight until something changes! If you are able we hope you can contribute to the cause as well.”

Evan Agostini/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Zayn Malik

“What is happening right now is exactly what happens when you leave a wound untreated and act obliviously in its constant presence,” the former One Direction member wrote via Instagram on June 2. “This uprising has escalated due to the racism, ignorance, and arrogance that burdens America and the world. I am deeply saddened by every act of discrimination and can not stay silent.”

Andrew H Walker/Shutterstock
Ellen DeGeneres

“I have always stood for equality. I have always wanted to be the voice for people who felt like they didn’t have a voice because I know what that feels like. Maybe you don’t agree with how it’s coming out, but you have to understand it. Then we can heal it,” the talk show host said in an Instagram video on June 1. “People have gotten away with murder and that’s what's happening. We’ve got to see fairness and justice for all because, right now, this is not a fair world. We have a long way to go to even get close to being fair. If you don’t understand this, then you’ve never felt like you weren’t heard or you weren’t equal. But if you’ve ever felt that, magnify it and see what’s happening. Let’s send a whole bunch of love out there and try to find some peace and some communication in this.”

NINA PROMMER/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
Kendall Jenner

“To everyone reading this and to myself: keep researching, reading, and educating yourself on how we can become better allies,” the model wrote via Instagram on June 1. “I’ve been doing a lot of thinking these past few days and my heart has been so heavy. I’m angry and hurt just like so many. I will never personally understand the fear and pain that the black community go through on a daily basis, but i know that nobody should have to live in constant fear. I acknowledge my white privilege and promise I will continue to educate myself on how I can help. raging on platforms can not be all that we do in order to repair the system, we need to take real action, off of social media. this is a time to have those uncomfortable conversations with people and mainly with ourselves. we must also make sure we are ready to vote when the time comes to elect the right people into office. the one truth that will always ring loudest is that BLACK LIVES MATTER. rest peacefully George Floyd and all victims of this horrible injustice.”

Swan Gallet/WWD/Shutterstock
Katy Perry

“I try to live my life to answer the question, ‘How can I be of service?’ I have spent the last few days watching, listening and reflecting about how to utilize my privilege and platform,” the American Idol judge wrote via Instagram on June 2. “I hope that #BlackoutTuesday gives us all (especially in the music industry) an opportunity to take what we’re learning and put it into action on Wednesday, and every day going forward. … This soon to be mother is going to work hard to make damn sure this world is a more just place for every child. #BlackLivesMatter.”

AFF-USA/Shutterstock
Adele

“George Floyd’s murder has sent shockwaves around the world, there are countless others that haven’t,” the “Hello” singer wrote via Instagram on June 1. “Protests and marches are happening all over the globe simultaneously and only gaining momentum. So be righteously angered but be focused! Keep listening, keep asking and keep learning! It’s important we don’t get disheartened, hijacked or manipulated right now. This is about systematic racism, this is about police violence and it’s about inequality. And this isn’t only about America! Racism is alive and well everywhere. I wholeheartedly stand in solidarity with the fight for freedom, liberation and justice.”

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Russell Wilson

“My heart hurts. Pain. Frustration. Outrage. Sadness,” the Seattle Seahawks player tweeted on June 1. “I remember my dad and grandfather telling me vivid stories of the 50s and 60s regarding the brutal acts of violence inflicted upon blacks. It seems that we have been thrust back to those horrific events all over again in 2020. … The video of George Floyd broke my heart. Seeing someone’s life being taken so cruelly makes us want to rage and lash out. But then I ask myself, what would George Floyd want? He told us. He just wanted his mother. He wanted his life. He simply wanted to breathe.”

He added, “We can make a change. WE MUST MAKE A CHANGE. BLACK LIVES MATTER. God loves color. He loves us all. He loves you. He loves me.”

Chelsea Lauren/WWD/Shutterstock
Britney Spears

“What the world needs now is love ….. my heart breaks for my friends in the black community …. and for everything going on in our country. Right now I think we all should do what we can to listen …. learn … do better …. and use our voices for good,” the Princess of Pop wrote via Instagram on June 1. “To start I will be participating in #BlackoutTuesday tomorrow ….. I won’t be posting on social media and I ask you all to do the same. We should use the time away from our devices to focus on what we can do to make the world a better place …. for ALL of us !!!!! PS if you’d like to help …. text FLOYD to 55156 and donate to organizations like #BlackLivesMatter if you are able to. God Bless You ALL !!!! #TheShowMustBePaused.”

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Brendon Urie

“I am complicit. i have been complicit for too long. i am realizing more and more each day how harmful my silence has been and how important it is to share my thoughts and feelings,” the Panic! at the Disco frontman wrote via Instagram on June 1. “I keep waking up angry. and i know as a cisgendered white male that my opinion holds a massive amount of privilege. i hope to engage that privilege for the benefit of the oppressed. i am disgusted when i think of how i’ve let my privilege keep me safe while other human beings suffer and are murdered.”

He continued, “I will no longer be complicit. i will no longer stand-by inactive and silent. i can’t. we can’t afford to keep looking away from our brothers and sister. i hear you. i mourn with you. i stand with you.”

Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock
Lorde

The singer attended a protest in support of Black Lives Matter in Auckland, New Zealand.

“I’ve been following this week’s events in the States from New Zealand. I also attended the peaceful protest in Auckland today to support the Black Lives Matter movement,” she wrote to her fans in an email. “One of the things I find most frustrating about social media is performative activism, predominantly by white celebrities (like me). It’s hard to strike a balance between self-serving social media displays and true action. But part of being an ally is knowing when to speak and when to listen, and I know that white silence right now is more damaging than someone’s wack protest selfie.”

She concluded with a message to her black fans: “I’m so sorry this is your reality, that you haven’t had a choice but to be defined by this, to give it your energy. I’m aware of that tax on you. I hope white people you know are doing what they can to ease your load. And I really, really hope systems will change to better protect you.”

Stephen Lovekin/Shutterstock
Kacey Musgraves

“It’s been hard to find the words to adequately convey how outraged and sad I am,” the “Rainbow” songstress tweeted on June 1. “WHITE PEOPLE HAVE HAD IT SO F--KING WRONG SINCE THE BEGINNING and I will do whatever I can I help break the DISGUSTING, damaging cycle racism and systemic privilege causes. I will not be a bystander.”

Gregory Pace/Shutterstock
Jane Fonda

“Because we’re white, we have had privilege,” the Grace and Frankie star said on CNN on June 1. “Even the poorest of us have had privilege. And we need to recognize that, and we have to understand what it is that keeps racism in place — the policies, redlining, banking policies, mortgage policies. All of the things that are really making it very, very difficult for black people to lift themselves up. The policies have to be changed, and then white people have to understand the history that has led to this and we have to try to change within ourselves.”

Stewart Cook/Shutterstock
Michael Jordan

The NBA legend took to Instagram to encourage “peaceful expressions against injustice and demand accountability” amid the nationwide protests.

"I am deeply saddened, truly pained and plain angry. I see and feel everyone's pain, outrage and frustration. I stand with those who are calling out the ingrained racism and violence toward people of color in our country. We have had enough,” Jordan wrote on May 31. “I don’t ave the answers, but our collective voices show strength and the inability to be divided by others. We must listen to each other, show compassion and empathy and never turn our backs on senseless brutality."

Revelli-Beaumont/Sipa/Shutterstock
Jay-Z

“After our very earnest conversation, thank you to [Minnesota] Governor [Tim] Walz for doing what’s right and calling in Attorney General Keith Ellison to take over the George Floyd case,” the rapper said in a statement shared on Roc Nation’s Twitter account on May 31. “Earlier today, Governor Walz mentioned having a human conversation with me - a dad and a black man in pain. Yes, I am human, a father and a black man in pain and I am not the only one. Now I, along with an entire country in pain, call upon AG Ellison to do the right thing and prosecute all those responsible for the murder of George Floyd to the fullest extent of the law. This is just a first step. I am more determined to fight for justice than any fight my would-be oppressors may have. I prevail on every politician, prosecutor and officer in the country to have the courage to do what it is right. Have the courage to look at us as humans, dads, brothers, sisters and mothers in pain and look at yourselves.”

Greg Allen/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Blake Lively

“We’ve never had to worry about preparing our kids for different rules of law or what might happen if we’re pulled over in the car. We don’t know what it’s like to experience that life day in and day out. We can’t imagine that kind of fear and anger. We’re ashamed that in the past we’ve allowed ourselves to be uninformed about how deeply rooted systemic racism is,” the Gossip Girl alum, who shares three daughters with husband Ryan Reynolds, wrote via Instagram on May 31, noting that the couple recently contributed $200,000 to the NAACP Legal Defense Fund.

“We’ve been teaching our children differently than the way our parents taught us,” Lively continued. “We want to educate ourselves about other people’s experiences and talk to our kids about everything, all of it… especially our own complicity. … We’re committed to raising our kids so they never grow up feeding this insane pattern and so they’ll do their best to never inflict pain on another being consciously or unconsciously. It’s the least we can do to honor not just George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and Eric Garner, but all the black men and women who have been killed when a camera wasn’t rolling.”

Stephen Lovekin/Shutterstock
Celine Dion

“It’s hard to find the words… The tragedy, the injustice breaks my heart. I can’t even begin to imagine what George Floyd’s family is going through,” the “My Heart Will Go On” singer tweeted on May 31. “As so many have already said, it’s not enough to be non-racist, we must be anti-racist. Change is long overdue. Racism and brutality must end. It’s everyone’s problem, everyone’s fight. And I pray that together we can find peace.”

David Fisher/Shutterstock
Thomas Rhett

“As the father of a black daughter and also two white daughters- I have struggled with what to say today,” the country singer, who adopted Willa from Uganda and also shares Ada and Lennon with wife Lauren Akins, wrote via Instagram on May 31. “We have navigated forms of racism directly and while there is mostly overwhelming support and love for our family, sometimes there is just the opposite. Because of that fear, it can be a lot easier to choose silence, but today I’m choosing to speak.”

He continued, “I have no clue what it feels like to be profiled by authorities, treated negatively or have my life threatened because of the color of my skin. When I witnessed the horrific murder of George and think about the mistreatment of other black men and women in America, I am heartbroken and angry. I get scared when I think about my daughters and what kind of world they will be growing up in and how my JOB as a father is to show them how to lead with love in the face of hate. To know their worth and value as not only women but human beings. … I stand with you, I stand with George and his family and all those who have faced racism. I stand with my wife and my daughters. We will be fighting this fight for the rest of our lives. Rest In Peace, George. We are not letting this go.”

Greg Allen/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Lauren Akins

“I have been nervous to post anything in the past and even now because of how some people believe that I as a white mother am undeserving or incapable of raising a black daughter. I believe that shaming comes from people who choose to see only my white skin and her brown skin and refuse to see our hearts and love for each other,” Rhett’s wife wrote on her Instagram page on May 31. “That shaming has created such anxiety in me that I am afraid to share my heart on social media. But as her mother, I want her to be VERY sure that I am HER mother who stands up not only for her, but for every single person who shares her beautiful brown skin. I want to be her mother who raises her to know what it means to have brown skin and to be proud of it.”

She added, “I do believe I’m being disobedient to God if I don’t speak up against injustice and fight for change. I believe if I stay silent I am betraying my brothers and sisters. I believe if I stay silent I am betraying my daughter. I believe if I stay silent I am betraying the heart of God. Don’t stay silent. Fight. Use the most powerful weapon of all: love.”

Evan Agostini/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Kris Jenner

"Sunday for me has always been a day of reflection, when I think about the past week, its learnings, its challenges and its blessings," the momager wrote via Instagram on May 31. "The murder of George Floyd is heartbreaking and infuriating, and today I reflect not only on this senseless killing, but also on the indignity and injustice that black men, women and children are facing today, and have faced for many decades in this country. Our nation has failed to love, protect and fight for the rights of black Americans, and we must come together today, now, in this moment. We must have peace and we must have unity. We must have change."

She concluded, "I encourage you to reflect today on how you can use your voice and your privilege to help those who deserve the equality, respect and justice that they have been stripped of and denied for far too long. I will be doing the very same. Let’s come together and demand deep and significant change."

Ryan Miller/Shutterstock
Khloé Kardashian

The KUWTK star posted a note via Instagram on May 31, writing that "words feel empty, or somehow not enough, but I can't sit silently." Kardashian, who shares daughter True with ex-boyfriend and NBA star Tristan Thompson, wrote that she is "angry, heartbroken and disgusted by the murder of George Floyd. We have seen this too many times. Black people have been discriminated against, victimized and murdered for too long, and have shown superhuman resiliency in the face of constant adversity. It is incomprehensible to me that it's 2020 and people continue to restrict, stereotype, damage and oppress people of color, and that racism is a constant reality."

Kardashian added that it broke her heart "to think about parents having to teach their children how to stay alive. No father should fear for his son's safety every time he steps foot out the door every morning. No mother should live in fear like that, and as I think about my own daughter, my future children, and all of our children, I know that we have to create a better future for them. One filled with love, light, and compassion, not one filled with hatred and ignorance, and I vow to continue to teach my daughter every single day, and with every opportunity I get, to have love for others, regardless of the color of their skin, their sexuality, or their religious beliefs. People are not born racist, they are taught these beliefs, and we must do our part to stop this cycle and put an end to racism in this country."

She vowed to "speak up, and speak out against discrimination, fearlessly and louder than ever before" and "will vote for those who stand for equality and justice, and against racism, bigotry and corruption."

The Revenge Body host then asked her followers to "do what you can to make your voice heard and to show compassion, educate yourself and teach others. Sign petitions, text and call, talk to your friends and family about what's going on, protest, demonstrate, cry, scream and shout!"

Shutterstock
Nick Viall

The former Bachelor star posted on May 31 about the use of the phrase "all lives matter," sharing a post that said it is "a form of gaslighting" and "a way of making black and POC question their reality to keep your 'power' or status quo. It's easier to keep our eyes covered then [sic] deal with our own discomfort & guilt." He added, "Challenge yourselves to better understand the world through the eyes of people who are different than you."

Shutterstock
Peter Weber and Kelley Flanagan

"In today’s day and age, it is so sad that racism is still an issue," the former Bachelor lead wrote via Instagram on May 31 alongside a photo of protesters carrying a Black Lives Matter sign. "What happened to George Floyd is unacceptable and anyone that was involved in taking his life needs to be held accountable. We need to do better. The pain that is being felt across the nation breaks my heart. I believe the best way we can honor George Floyd's memory is through peaceful protesting to help create the change we need. I pray we can all come together in a trying time like this and not become more divided."

Weber's girlfriend shared a picture of protesters holding up photos of Floyd and wrote, "My heart breaks for George Floyd and his family. What happened is unacceptable. We need to be better. I’m saddened by this situation and I hope we can all come together as human beings and eradicate the racism that exists in this country."

Courtesy Peter Weber/Cameo
Vanessa Bryant

Bryant posted a photo via Instagram of her late husband, Kobe Bryant, wearing an “I Can’t Breathe” shirt. “My husband wore this shirt years ago and yet here we are again,” Vanessa wrote on May 31. “Life is so fragile. Life is so unpredictable. Life is too short. Let’s share and embrace the beautiful qualities and similarities we all share as people. Drive out hate. Teach respect and love for all at home and school. Spread LOVE. Fight for change- register to VOTE. Do not use innocent lives lost as an excuse to loot. BE AN EXAMPLE OF THE CHANGE WE WANT TO SEE. #BLACKLIVESMATTER.”

MEGA; Shutterstock
Shawn Mendes

“I’ve been trying to find the right words for days. I feel sick to my stomach. Hearing the sound of his voice crying for help is bone chilling and it f--king breaks my heart,” the “In My Blood” singer wrote via Instagram on May 30. “I’m so sorry that this injustice keeps happening. I can’t imagine what life dealing with racism so constantly is like. As a white person, I not only recognize that this is a problem but that I am a part of the problem. That it has long due been time to not only ‘not accept’ racism, but to become anti-racist. That all of us that are in the majority, can’t sit idle any longer while the minority are suffering.”

He continued, “It’s time for ALL humans to demand change. This needs to be EVERYONES fight. We need to start to really listen to & help amplify black voices. To make their struggles known and to reject racism. It’s time to take action on that feeling in your heart that knows how wrong it is. This can NOT be the world our children of the future live in. The time for change is long overdue & we can’t rest until change is what we get. Please follow some of these resources to get more info on how you can take action: @colorofchange @thedreamdefenders @blklivesmatter @aclumn @mnfreedomfund.”

David Fisher/Shutterstock
Billie Eilish

The “Bad Guy” singer took to Instagram on May 30, writing, “If I hear one more white person say ‘All Lives Matter’ one more f—king time I’m gonna lose my f—king mind. Will you shut the f—k up? No one is saying your life doesn’t matter. No one is saying your life is not hard. No one is saying literally anything at all about you...... All you mfs do is find a way to make everything about yourself. This is not about you. Stop making everything about you. You are not in need. You are not in danger.”

She continued: “Society gives you privilege just for being white. You can be poor, you can be struggling, and still your skin color is giving you more privilege than you even realize. Nobody is saying that makes you better than anyone. It just lets you live your life without having to worry about surviving simply because of your skin color! You are privileged!”

Shutterstock
Chrishell Stause

The Selling Sunset star posted a quote to her Instagram on May 30 that read, “It is not enough to be quietly non-racist, now is the time to be vocally anti-racist.” 

She accompanied the statement with a caption. “America is in crisis right now. If you watched the video of George Floyd (or countless others) being murdered by police and your 1st instinct was to ask, Well what did he do? Was he resisting? Please recognize you are part of the problem so you can educate yourself to be part of the solution. Google systemic racism and look at the statistics. It’s undeniable and important to recognize your own privilege if any of those statistics are surprising to you. Understand that this post is not a place to talk about the importance of any other injustice you find relevant over racism,” she wrote.

“This is a post addressing racism and if you want to shift the focus to property damage or say all lives matter, think about why that would be your instinct. My goal is not to attack people that think this way. But I am hoping to get you to realize the problem in doing so. Many people who make racist judgements don’t consider themselves to be racist. It will never get better if we can’t identify the problem in our thinking and work to change it. Innocent people are being murdered and racism is crippling our country. It only gets better if the people not being oppressed help speak up for those who are.”

Shutterstock
Post Malone

“A platform is a terrible thing to waste, especially in times of heartache in our country and the entire world, and especially when someone has the ability to speak out,” the singer wrote via Instagram on May 30. “Over the past few months I have been trying to distance myself from social media for my mental health, and by doing this and letting others have more control over posts on my pages. That being said, I see frustrations over the blatant miss-use [sic] of my social media. Especially, when I have a voice to speak loudly, and so far have not. I would like to apologize for that. I watched the video, and when I saw it, my heart sank into my stomach. I am so appalled and so heartbroken. I cannot believe in this day violence like that is so commonplace and still happening.”

The “Circles” singer concluded with prayers. “I stand with George Floyd. I stand with everyone taking a stand. I stand on the side of love. The officers involved must be held accountable for what they did. This can’t continue to go on. I pray that everyone taking risks and making they’re voices heard in powerful and impactful ways, stays safe, and knows that they are making a difference. Please take care of yourselves in this time. With love, Austin.”

Shutterstock
Randall Emmett

The Hollywood producer posted a selfie in front of police officers on May 30. “Black Lives Matter, we will make change #blacklivesmatter,” he wrote. 

Shutterstock
Selena Gomez

The "Lose You to Love Me" singer shared a black-and-white photo of protesters with a Black Lives Matter sign via Instagram on May 30, writing: "I have spent the last 24 hours just trying to process this all. Nothing anyone says can take back what has happened. But we can and must all make sure to take action. Too many black lives have been taken from us for far too long. They deserve better. They deserve to be heard. We all need to do better and not sit in silence as this injustice continues."

Willy Sanjuan/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Kim Kardashian

“For years, with every horrific murder of an innocent black man, woman, or child, I have always tried to find the right words to express my condolences and outrage, but the privilege I am afforded by the color of my skin has often left me feeling like this is not a fight that I can truly take on my own. Not today, not anymore,” the Keeping Up With the Kardashians star tweeted on May 30. “Like so many of you, I am angry. I am more than angry. I am infuriated and I am disgusted. I am exhausted by the heartbreak I feel seeing mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers and children suffering because their loved one was murdered or locked away unjustly for being black. Even though I will never know the pain and suffering they have endured, or what it feels like to try to survive in a world plagued by systemic racism, I know I can use my own voice to help amplify those voices that have been muffled for too long.”

Shutterstock
Harry Styles

“I do things every day without fear, because I am privileged, and I am privileged every day because I am white,” the “Watermelon Sugar” singer wrote via Instagram on May 30. “Being not racist is not enough, we must be anti racist. Social change is enacted when a society mobilizes. I stand in solidarity with all of those protesting. I’m donating to help post bail for arrested organizers. Look inwards, educate yourself and others. LISTEN, READ, SHARE, DONATE and VOTE. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. BLACK LIVES MATTER.”

Shutterstock
Beyoncé

“We need justice for George Floyd. We all witnessed his murder in broad daylight. We’re broken and we’re disgusted. We cannot normalize this pain,” the Grammy winner said in an Instagram video on May 29. “I’m not only speaking to people of color. If you’re white, black, brown or anything in between, I’m sure you feel hopeless by the racism going on in America right now. No more senseless killings of human beings. No more seeing people of color as less than human. We can no longer look away. George was all of our family and humanity. He’s our family because he’s a fellow American. There have been too many times that we’ve seen these violent killings and no consequences. Yes, someone’s been charged, but justice is far from being achieved.”

Shutterstock
Barack Obama

“It’s natural to wish for life ‘to just get back to normal’ as a pandemic and economic crisis upend everything around us. But we have to remember that for millions of Americans, being treated differently on account of race is tragically, painfully, maddeningly ‘normal’ — whether it’s while dealing with the health care system, or interacting with the criminal justice system, or jogging down the street, or just watching birds in a park,” the former president tweeted on May 29. “This shouldn’t be ‘normal’ in 2020 America. It can’t be ‘normal.’ If we want our children to grow up in a nation that lives up to its highest ideals, we can and must be better.”

Shutterstock
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson

“Past few days I’ve been stunned trying make sense of George Floyd’s death,” the actor wrote via Instagram on May 29. “The video. The plea for breath. The callous response. The racism. The killing. This is our ongoing disease. I’ve had cops in my family. Good men. And there’s a cop code, granting you the authority to use force if your life is in danger. But when a man is handcuffed, on the ground, no longer a threat, with your brothers in arms standing around watching and he struggles to say, ‘please I can’t breathe’ when your knee is on his neck.. not his back, but his neck - cutting off his air. Cop code must become moral code. Ethics code. HUMANITY code. Knowing that if you don’t ease up, then that man is going to die. So when you decide to not ease up, your intention is to kill. And that’s what this was. … I’m so sorry to the Floyd family. My heart breaks for you. Let the process begin now.”

Shutterstock
Ariana Grande

“I ask my followers to please keep signing these petitions, making donations if u are able to, continue having conversations w family and friends about racism (overt and covert) and the senseless acts of murder that happen in this country far too often, please keep reading up, following accounts on here (i will recommend some!) to keep u updated and learning and sharing links and resources,” the Grammy winner wrote via Instagram on May 29. “Our black friends need us to show up and to be better and to be vocal. now more than ever. online. offline even more so.”

Shutterstock
Kylie Jenner

“Since watching the most devastating and completely heartbreaking video showing the murder of George Floyd earlier this week I haven’t been able to get his face and his words out of my mind,” the Kylie Cosmetics CEO wrote via Instagram on May 29. “I’ll never personally experience the pain and fear that many black people around the country go through every day but i know nobody should have to live in fear and nobody deserves a death like George Floyd and too many others. speaking up is long overdue for the rest of us. we’re currently dealing with two horrific pandemics in our country, and we can’t sit back and ignore the fact that racism is one of them. i fear for my daughter and i hope for a better future for her. my heart breaks for George Floyd’s family and friends. Don’t let his name be forgotten. keep sharing, keep watching, keep speaking out, because it’s the only way we can come together to help bring this much needed change and awareness. Rest In Peace, George Floyd.”

Shutterstock
Rihanna

“For the last few days, the magnitude of devastation, anger, sadness I’ve felt has been overwhelming to say the least!” the singer wrote via Instagram on May 29. “Watching my people get murdered and lynched day after day pushed me to a heavy place in my heart! To the point of staying away from socials, just to avoid hearing the blood curdling agony in George Floyd’s voice again, begging over and over for his life!!! The look of enticement, the pure joy and climax on the face of this bigot, murderer, thug, pig, bum, Derek Chauvin, haunts me!! I can’t shake this! I can’t get over an ambulance pulling up to an arrest, a paramedic checking a pulse without removing the very thing that’s hindering it! Is this that f--king normal??? If intentional MURDER is the fit consequence for ‘drugs’ or ‘resisting arrest’….then what’s the fit consequence for MURDER???!”

Shutterstock
Jamie Foxx

“This is the toughest time when things like this happen,” the Oscar winner said at a press conference in Minneapolis on May 29. “All I wanted to do was let you know that we’re not afraid to stand. We’re not afraid of the moment. … All we’re trying to do is ask questions of why.”

Shutterstock
Lady Gaga

“My heart breaks for George Floyd, his family and for the people in Minneapolis,” the pop star tweeted on May 28. “Murder is murder. Cops are also citizens, the same rules should apply to them. This is absolutely horrific and if the mayor and DA do not step up it sets a poor example for this entire country. And we all know this is not the first time the country has spoken up about this corrupt and unacceptable activity.”

Shutterstock
Reese Witherspoon

“Last night at dinner, my 7-year-old asked why all the grown ups were so upset. We spoke to him about what happened to George Floyd,” the Big Little Lies star wrote via Instagram on May 28. “Being a white mother trying to explain racism and bigotry to her white son, who did not understand why anyone would treat another human being that way, was heartbreaking. But not nearly as heartbreaking as being a victim of one of these senseless, violent, unconscionable crimes. Not nearly as heartbreaking as being one of the families who have experienced loss and harassment and discrimination daily. Not nearly as heartbreaking as being a mother who lives in fear of what will happen to her children in this world. … Please talk to your children about racism, privilege, bigotry and hate. If you aren’t talking to them, someone else is.”

Shutterstock
Justin Bieber

“THIS MUST STOP,” the singer wrote via Instagram on May 26. “This makes me absolutely sick. This makes me angry this man DIED. This makes me sad. Racism is evil We need to use our voice! Please people. I’m sorry GEORGE FLOYD.”

Shutterstock
Demi Lovato

“This is not okay. And it will not stop until everyone does their part. Especially white people,” the singer wrote via Instagram on May 26. “I said it recently and I’ll say it again, do not let your discomfort surrounding social issues prevent you from speaking up for those IN DANGER. And reality is, until this STOPS COMPLETELY - THE BLACK COMMUNITY WILL CONTINUE TO LIVE IN DANGER. DO YOUR PART. THIS INVOLVES YOU TOO. #GeorgeFloyd, I hope you RIP because it isn’t fair so many didn’t do their part to ensure you lived in peace.”

Shutterstock
Cardi B

“Enough is enough! What will it take ? A civil war ? A new president? Violent riots ? It’s tired ! I’m tired ! The country is tired !” the rapper wrote via Instagram on May 26 alongside a photo of Floyd. “You don’t put fear in people when you do this you just show how coward YOU ARE ! And how America is really not the land of the free !”

Shutterstock


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/2ApLvkQ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Baseball Legend Hank Aaron and More Stars We’ve Lost in 2021

It’s never easy to say goodbye. Scroll down to see Us Weekly ‘s tribute to the celebrities who died in 2021. Angie Jakusz The Survivor alum died in New Orleans following a long battle with cancer on January 8. She was 40. “Angie was an incredibly passionate person with an extraordinary lust for life,” her loved ones wrote in an obituary published via Nola.com. “Whether she was sewing, painting, drawing, doing nail art or makeup, costuming, reading, snorkeling, scuba diving, traveling or just raising hell, she did it lovingly and with laser precision. She was a founding member of the New Orleans Noise Coalition and had been a contestant on season 10 of Survivor.” Monty Brinton/CBS Joanne Rogers The musician, the widow of Fred Rogers , died in Pittsburgh on January 14. She was 92. No cause of death was given at the time. "Fred Rogers Productions is deeply saddened by the passing of Joanne Rogers. The loving partner of Fred Rogers for more than 50 years, she continued their