Skip to main content

Paris Hilton, Miley Cyrus, More Celebs Support the #FreeBritney Movement

Since April 2019, Britney Spears’ fans have been flooding social media with the hashtag #FreeBritney in hopes of uncovering the truth about the Princess of Pop’s conservatorship.

Spears was placed under the legal guardianship in February 2008 after she suffered a public breakdown amid her divorce from Kevin Federline, with whom she shares sons Preston and Jayden. Her father, Jamie Spears, has been the main conservator of Britney’s person and her estate, but attorney Andrew Wallet and licensed fiduciary Jodi Montgomery have also had roles in the case.

Wallet abruptly resigned as co-conservator in March 2019, two months after the “Toxic” singer announced that she was going on an indefinite work hiatus. Britney subsequently spent a month in a mental health facility. That September, Jamie temporarily relinquished his powers to Montgomery, citing “personal health reasons.” Wallet took legal steps to return to his role in August 2020 but ultimately was not brought back.

Montgomery’s stint is set to end in August 2021, but Britney stated in court documents in August 2020 that she is “strongly opposed to having [Jamie] return.” She asked that Montgomery continue as the conservator of her person and that a “qualified corporate fiduciary” replace her dad’s control of her estate.

“With Jodi in the mix, Britney’s been more driven and hopeful and continues to take steps in the right direction,” a source exclusively told Us Weekly at the time, adding that the Grammy winner is “ready to take back control after 12 years.”

In September 2020, Britney publicly addressed the #FreeBritney campaign for the first time in a landmark court filing slamming Jamie’s request to close her conservatorship hearings to the public.

“Britney herself is vehemently opposed to this effort by her father to keep her legal struggle hidden away in the closet as a family secret,” her attorney, Samuel D. Ingham III, said in court documents obtained by Us.

Ingham also blasted Jamie for saying in an August 2020 interview with Page Six that #FreeBritney is “a joke” made up by “all these conspiracy theorists.” In the same interview, the former building contractor denied stealing money from his daughter’s estate, saying, “I have to report every nickel and dime spent to the court every year.”

With the premiere of the “Framing Britney Spears” episode of FX and Hulu’s The New York Times Presents series in February 2021, countless celebrities took to social media to call for Britney to have more freedom and to publicly apologize for the way she was treated by the public in the mid-aughts.

Britney broke her silence over her decade-long conservatorship in June 2021 during a court hearing, calling the conservatorship “abusive” and claiming that her father “loved the control” he had over her.

“I just want my life back. It’s been 13 years and it’s enough,” she said at the time. “It’s enough and it makes no sense at all … I’m done. I want to sue my family, to be totally honest with you.”

Scroll down to see which stars have supported #FreeBritney over the years.


Dolly Parton

"I think she is a wonderful artist and I think she's a wonderful girl and I only wish her the best," the country legend said during a July 2021 appearance on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen. "I understand all those crazy things. I went through a lot of that myself through a big lawsuit in my early days with Porter Wagoner trying to get out on my own, so I understand where she’s coming from and how she feels. So I hope that all turns out the way that it should."

Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock
*NSYNC

The ‘90s-era boy band’s official account tweeted, “Also… #FreeBritney” in July 2021 one day after former member Lance Bass revealed he was “definitely” an avid supporter of the movement though they haven’t been in touch lately.

“I haven’t spoken to her for years. We’ve been kept away from each other for quite a while,” Bass claimed on “Heather Dubrow’s World” podcast. “I don’t know exactly what she needs but I do know that she, to me — [from] what I see — is sane enough to pick her own people.”

Boston Herald/Shutterstock
Ariana Grande

After the "Hold It Against Me" singer shared the video of her doing cartwheels and horseback riding after a July 2021 court hearing granted her the right to choose her own attorney for her conservatorship case, Grande reposted the clip on her Instagram Story with the caption, “Free Britney.”

Grande also commented on Spears' post, writing, "You are so very loved and supported."

Gregory Pace/Shutterstock
John Oliver

“I cannot stress this enough: Leave Britney alone!” the Last Week Tonight With John Oliver host said in a March 2021 episode. “Not only has she been through a lot, she’s a stone-cold legend. She’s the definitional diva of the 2000s. And I guarantee you, there is not a human being on Earth who doesn’t perk up when that violin hook from ‘Toxic’ comes on. … Put some motherf--king respect on her name.”

Alex Berliner/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Ashley Benson

“I don’t want to overstep by saying ‘#FreeBritney,’ but honestly, I believe that entirely,” the Pretty Little Liars alum said on the “This Is Paris” podcast in March 2021. “I feel like she’s just put into a position where she has no freedom and she’s kind of under the control of others, and it’s really so upsetting.”

Shutterstock
Will.i.am

“The treatment of women goes way beyond the music industry. It’s society and the lack of true support and lifting up of the female. Britney has endured some pretty harsh treatment from her own, and she’s an amazing person, and her heart is pure,’” the Black Eyed Peas member, who collaborated with Britney on 2012’s “Scream & Shout” and coproduced her 2013 album, Britney Jean, told Metro in March 2021. “Everyone’s had some downfalls and some choices that they’ve made personally, but she’s awesome.”

He continued, “Because she’s such a machine, she was a machine to her family. ... There’s this weird cloud around her that doesn’t truly believe in her, and when you trust that cloud, maybe that’s part of the reason why Britney is the way she is, is because that cloud around her, she trusts the people that are responsible for that cloud.”

Joanne Davidson/Shutterstock
Kim Kardashian

“So I finally watched the Britney Spears documentary this week and it made me feel a lot of empathy for her,” the reality star wrote via her Instagram Stories in March 2021. “No matter how public someone’s life may seem, no one deserves to be treated with such cruelty or judgement for entertainment.”

CraSH/imageSPACE/Shutterstock
Garcelle Beauvais

“She was such a young girl living in a fishbowl,” the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills star said on Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen in March 2021. “I felt sorry for her.”

Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock
Jon Bon Jovi

“I feel terrible for the poor kid,” the Bon Jovi frontman said on SiriusXM’s Radio Andy in March 2021. “She was a girl, so [the public] took advantage of that. She was manipulated. And then also when, like, Justin Timberlake breaks up with her, he’s getting slaps on the back and she’s being chastised. That’s heartbreaking stuff. Forget the conservatorship.”

 

Drew Gurian/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Chloe Grace Moretz

“I hope that documentary and the conversation around the #FreeBritney movement allows her to have more autonomy in her life and hopefully take control over her own decisions,” the Carrie star said on Watch What Happens Live in February 2021.

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Josh Groban

“I’m all for [#FreeBritney]. I’m big on the hashtag,” the “You Raise Me Up” singer said on Watch What Happens Live in February 2021. “It’s always good to reflect, and it looks like it’s a step in the right direction, right? Something happened in the court that was in her favor. And I think it’s an excellent thing for journalists to go back and revisit times in our pop culture where we all could’ve thought differently, done better.”

Stephen Lovekin/Shutterstock
Mara Wilson

“The way people talked about Britney Spears was terrifying to me then, and it still is now,” the Mrs. Doubtfire star wrote a New York Times op-ed in February 2021. “Her story is a striking example of a phenomenon I’ve witnessed for years: Our culture builds these girls up just to destroy them. Fortunately people are becoming aware of what we did to Ms. Spears and starting to apologize to her. But we’re still living with the scars.”

RINGO CHIU/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
John Mayer

The “Gravity” crooner opened up about how watching “Framing Britney Spears” struck a chord with him. “I almost cried five times during that,” he said while guest cohosting SiriusXM’s Andy Cohen Live in February 2021. “There’s a debate as to whether the times in and of themselves kind of encased this behavior. Like, it’s hard to go back into the sap and cut into it because it is sort of suspended in amber, some of this stuff. But, to see the sadness in this human being. … I was on the edge of tears five times because if you understand what this business/industry/lifestyle does to a person, to go through this and come out the other side OK is to have infinite grace for those who struggle with it.”

Milla Cochran/startraksphoto.com
Pete Davidson

“[My mom and I] were watching that Britney Spears documentary, but I had to turn it off when I realized my mom has, like, way more of a case to take over my finances than Britney’s dad ever did,” the comedian joked on Saturday Night Live in February 2021. “I was like, ‘Wait, she could do that and she hasn’t? Doesn’t she love me?’ All Britney Spears did was shave her head. I got a life-size tattoo of the Tootsie Pop owl.”

Will Heath/NBC
Howard Stern

The radio host, who once called Britney a “train wreck,” said on The Howard Stern Show in February 2021, “I think I’m #FreeBritney now. I think I’m full-on #FreeBritney.”

Kristin Callahan/Shutterstock
Olivia Newton-John

“I feel for her,” the Grease star said on the “Gawndy & Maz Catch Up” podcast in February 2021. Her daughter, Chloe Lattanzi, added, “I’m completely #FreeBritney. … I hope Britney gets her freedom.”

Ken McKay/ITV/Shutterstock
Charlie Puth

“Britney Spears’ music was my first exposure to POP music. Her impact was/is profound and it always baffled me as to why people were so brutal to her when she was down,” the “Attention” crooner tweeted in February 2021. “It’s great the world is more sensitive to mental health now, but upsetting it took this long in Britney’s case.”

Jason Merritt/Radarpics/Shutterstock
Meghan McCain

“I am always rooting for her comeback,” the View cohost said during a segment about “Framing Britney Spears” in February 2021. “I’ve actually been following the #FreeBritney story for a while. … It’s really compelling. The story is about her conservatorship. And basically, to sum it down, we’re supposed to believe that this is a woman who is competent enough to be a judge on The X Factor, to perform in sold-out shows that I saw personally, [to] be an incredible performer, do endorsement deals, do all these things that a competent person can do, but she’s not allowed to have control over her own finances. She’s not allowed to go to Target and spend her own money.”

Andrew Morales/Shutterstock
Sunny Hostin

“We were all watching a woman, a young woman, a girl, in pain and doing nothing about it,” the lawyer said on The View in February 2021. “We are all complicit — and especially complicit, in my view, is the legal system because if you look at this conservatorship, which she has been under for 12 years, almost 13 years at this point, that legal device is supposed to be for someone who is incapable of handling their own life, their own finances. And as Meghan mentioned, this is a woman who seems to be able to perform, who seems to be able to raise her children, who seems to be able to function quite well, yet she can’t seem to be able to handle her own finances? That is not what that conservatorship is supposed to be about.”

MJ Photos/Shutterstock
Sam Asghari

"I have always wanted nothing but the best for my better half and will continue to support her following her dreams and creating the future she wants and deserves," the actor and personal trainer, who has been dating Britney since 2016, said in a statement to People in February 2021. "I am thankful for all of the love and support she is receiving from her fans all over the world, and I am looking forward to a normal, amazing future together."

MediaPunch/Shutterstock
Tamron Hall

After tuning in to "Framing Britney Spears," the talk show host tweeted in February 2021 that it would be "an understatement to call it heartbreaking."

Patrick Lewis/Starpix/Shutterstock
Amanda Kloots

"I watched this the other night, and I was shocked," the dancer said on The Talk in February 2021. "I don't think the interviews that you see on this ['Framing Britney Spears'] documentary would even be allowed today. You wouldn't be able to say what these people are asking her and telling her, and it is so sad. ... I think that Diane Sawyer does owe her an apology [over their 2003 interview]. I think the whole world owes her an apology."

Courtesy of Amanda Kloots/Instagram
Fortune Feimster

"I watched the NYT doc on Britney Spears and it is SO messed up that they aren't letting this very successful adult woman be in charge of her own life," the Last Comic Standing alum tweeted in February 2021. "She's made it very clear she does not want her dad to have any part of her finances and life decisions. That should be enough."

Willy Sanjuan/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Christian Siriano

"Ughg [sic] I just want to help @britneyspears so much!" the fashion designer tweeted in February 2021. "Just have to figure out how I wonder??"

Andrew H. Walker/Shutterstock
Bette Midler

"#FreeBritney," the Tony winner tweeted in February 2021.

Gregory Pace/Shutterstock
Valerie Bertinelli

After calling "Framing Britney Spears" a "gut punch" in a February 2021 tweet, the Hot in Cleveland alum listed Jamie, Federline and Britney's ex-boyfriend Justin Timberlake as some of the "many horrible men/leeches" in the pop star's life.

Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Lukas Gage

"Britney deserves better," the Euphoria star tweeted in February 2021. "To the people that made merch off her having a psychotic episode you're hackey and suck.. However, in the same year she bounced back w/ an iconic album that still dilates my pupils to this day: Blackout #FreeBritney."

Stewart Cook/Shutterstock
Heather Matarazzo

"The rage and sadness I felt watching #FramingBritneySpears last night traveled with me into my dreams," the Princess Diaries star tweeted in February 2021. "I woke up wanting to burn everything down and be her friend. #FreeBritney."

MediaPunch/Shutterstock
Leah McSweeney

"I highly recommend watching the @nytimes doc Framing Britney Spears about her ongoing conservatorship battle on @hulu," the Real Housewives of New York City star wrote via Instagram in February 2021. "Watching the clips of her being scrutinized by misogynistic interviewers (including females), chased by paps while holding her baby, being chewed up and spit out by the sick media. Anyone with a soul would've been crushed by this. It's the soulless people who can handle this without being affected. @britneyspears ILYSM I hope you tell your story one day. #freebritney."

Courtesy of Leah McSweeney/Instagram
Hayley Williams

“The Framing Britney Spears doc holy f--k,” the Paramore lead singer tweeted in February 2021. “No artist today would have to endure the literal torture that media/society/utter misogynists inflicted upon her. the mental health awareness conversation, culturally, could never be where it is without the awful price she has paid.”

Sara Jaye Weiss/Shutterstock
Khloe Kardashian

The Keeping Up With the Kardashians star wrote in an Instagram comment in February 2021 that she was “praying for queen Britney,” calling the situation “so so so sad.”

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Sarah Jessica Parker

The Sex and the City alum tweeted the hashtag in February 2021.

Charles Sykes/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Kacey Musgraves

“Everyone should watch the NY Times documentary on @britneyspears that just came out,” the country singer wrote via her Instagram Stories in February 2021. “Never has one person been so used and abandoned by every facet around her. My heart goes out to her. She has always been such an inspiration to me my whole kid/teen life. Wish she could get a re-do.”

Stephen Lovekin/Shutterstock
Andy Cohen

“Good morning! have a great day! And: #FreeBritney,” the Watch What Happens Live host wrote via Twitter in February 2021.

Evan Agostini/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Mariah Carey

When Cohen likened #FreeBritney to the “Hero” singer’s own history with mental health issues on Watch What Happens Live in October 2020, she responded, “I don’t feel comfortable commenting on anybody else’s personal situation, particularly when it seems so intense, so I would just send love.”

Evan Agostini/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Christina Milian

The "Dip It Low" singer shared her support for Britney in September 2020, posting the #FreeBritney hashtag on her Instagram Stories while working out to the Crossroads star's 2011 hit "Till the World Ends."

"I miss Britney Spears," she said. "I'm gonna need some hits right now. Bring it on, I'm ready. I need some hits to work out to. You too, [producer] Max Martin."

Courtesy Christina Milian/Instagram
Paris Hilton

“I just love her so much. I feel like if you are an adult, you should be able to live your life and not be controlled,” the socialite said of her longtime friend on SiriusXM’s Andy Cohen Live in September 2020. “I think maybe that stems from me being controlled so much, so I can understand how that would feel, and I can’t imagine right now if that was still happening to me. After just working your whole life and working so hard, she’s this icon, and I just feel like she has no control of her life whatsoever, and I just don’t think that’s fair.”

Broadimage/Shutterstock
Miley Cyrus

“Britney, like anyone else, should have the freedom to live the life that’s most authentic to her,” the “Wrecking Ball” singer said of her “SMS (Bangerz)” collaborator during an iHeartRadio Canada interview in August 2020.

Cyrus also spoke out after the premiere of “Framing Britney Spears,” saying, “We love Britney!” on stage during her pre-Super Bowl LV performance in February 2021.

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Cher

“She Worked Hard,Was The Golden Goose,Made Lots Of [Money],Got Sick,Now She’s The CASH COW,” the legendary entertainer tweeted in August 2020. “Does anyone Who’s Making [Money] Off Her Being Sick,Want Her Well!? Someone Who Doesn’t Want Anything From Her Should Look Into Her Dr. … Everyone in Vegas heard Stories.”

Almost a year later, the “Believe” singer showed her support for Britney again.

“When #FreeBritney is FINALLY FREE, I’m Taking her to San Tropez & We’ll Eat Ice Cream To Her Hearts Content,” she tweeted in July 2021.

Anthony Harvey/Shutterstock
Lance Bass

“Obviously she’s got some problems. I don’t know what she’s going through. I don’t know exactly what her diagnoses are, but online these videos are definitely out of character for her. This is kind of a new thing,” the former ’NSync member said on his podcast, “The Daily Popcast,” in August 2020. “She feels very happy and wants to do these videos. I don’t see any danger in it. I think they’re kind of fun and positive. I would be more worried if she disappeared from social media.”

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Nicole ‘Snooki’ Polizzi

“#freebritney Love you Queen @britneyspears,” the Jersey Shore star captioned an Instagram photo of herself in an Oops!… I Did It Again tank top in July 2020.

Courtesy of Nicole ‘Snooki’ Polizzi/Instagram
Taryn Manning

“Britney I know you’re strong af and have your own brain and thought process. To me you look happy and like you’re having a blast!” the Orange Is the New Black alum wrote of her Crossroads costar via Instagram in July 2020. “Keep up the happy posts and your faith in Jesus Christ. How about instead of #freebritney we say #GodIsWatchingOverBritney. How about let’s give this wonderful woman the dignity she deserves and earned. Until you know the facts stop speculating and perpetuating the father of lies. We all know she’s under a type of control that’s unfair and things will be fixed. Have faith. Wish her well! Send good vibes of no fear! Please! #alldarknesscomestolight.”

Richard Foreman/Paramount/Zomba/Mtv/Kobal/Shutterstock
Tinashe

“I just love her so much.. want her to be happy/healthy. Need more information but I just want her to be well!” the R&B singer tweeted of her “Slumber Party” collaborator in August 2019. Eleven months later, she wrote in a since-deleted tweet, “#FreeBritney.”

YouTube
Cardi B

“Fame will really drive you insane. Not only will fame drive you insane, but it’s like, once you have money, everybody just wants to take it from you,” the “WAP” rapper told Entertainment Tonight in May 2019. “When you’re a celebrity, everyone wants to sue you, everyone wants a piece of the money that you work for. It’s very frustrating. Then you have, like, the whole world looking at you. No privacy, it’s crazy. I can’t imagine if you do it for such a long time like her.”

Broadimage/Shutterstock
Sharon Osbourne

“The one thing about Britney that’s always broken my heart about her is that she was working from a very, very young [age]. She was on Broadway at, like, 10 or something ridiculous, and she’s worked her entire life” the Osbournes alum said while cohosting The Talk in April 2019. “Nobody works for her for free. They work for her because they get a percentage of what she earns. So when there’s a lot of money involved, nothing would surprise me. … It’s time for her to have a life, and maybe her dad can find a job.”

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Eve

“I’ve always been a Britney fan,” the Talk cohost said during the same episode while wearing a #FreeBritney shirt. “I want her to be getting the help she’s getting, but not under duress. Hopefully this is putting the right eyeballs on it if, God forbid, anything wrong is happening. … We’re praying for her.”

Courtesy of CBS/The Talk
Missy Elliott

“Prayers for peace of mind,” the “Work It” rapper tweeted in July 2020 in response to a fan who posted a clip from Spears’ 2008 MTV documentary, Britney: For the Record.

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Rose McGowan

While paying tribute to the late Brittany Murphy via Instagram in July 2020, the Charmed alum added, “There’s another Britney on my mind today, too, one that is alive, one that can be saved from the leaches that are controlling and trafficking her. Free all the Britneys and all those who get hurt by the trauma of Hollywood values and toxic ‘rules.’ #FreeBritney.”

James Gourley/Shutterstock


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/35qMzmg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Baseball Legend Hank Aaron and More Stars We’ve Lost in 2021

It’s never easy to say goodbye. Scroll down to see Us Weekly ‘s tribute to the celebrities who died in 2021. Angie Jakusz The Survivor alum died in New Orleans following a long battle with cancer on January 8. She was 40. “Angie was an incredibly passionate person with an extraordinary lust for life,” her loved ones wrote in an obituary published via Nola.com. “Whether she was sewing, painting, drawing, doing nail art or makeup, costuming, reading, snorkeling, scuba diving, traveling or just raising hell, she did it lovingly and with laser precision. She was a founding member of the New Orleans Noise Coalition and had been a contestant on season 10 of Survivor.” Monty Brinton/CBS Joanne Rogers The musician, the widow of Fred Rogers , died in Pittsburgh on January 14. She was 92. No cause of death was given at the time. "Fred Rogers Productions is deeply saddened by the passing of Joanne Rogers. The loving partner of Fred Rogers for more than 50 years, she continued their