Skip to main content

Britney Spears and Sister Jamie Lynn’s Relationship Through the Years

Jamie Lynn Spears has made it clear that there’s no bond like a sister bond. The younger sister of Britney Spears isn’t happy with speculation that she doesn’t support the pop princess amid her conservatorship battle and the #FreeBritney movement.

The “Toxic” singer’s sibling was born in 1991 and it didn’t take long for her to follow in Britney’s footsteps, portraying the younger version of her character Lucy in the 2002 movie Crossroads.

“I love my little sister and I am overprotective with her, and I don’t mind saying that,” Britney told Real Access at the time. “My sister is a handful. We are so different. It’s so funny — actually, she would be a lot better in this business than I am. Like her personality, she is Miss Diva. She is so full of herself, it’s so cute.”

As Britney’s career continued to skyrocket, Jamie Lynn became a star in her own right, appearing on Nickelodeon’s sketch series All That and later landing the starring role in Zoey 101.

“Having Britney as an example was crucial for me,” Jamie Lynn told The Hollywood Reporter in 2020. “Not only did my sister build me up, but she made me feel like I was the star when she was clearly the star. Britney was always really open and honest with me about the good and the bad that comes with this industry. And that’s what gave me the confidence to say no sometimes.”

By 2007, the sisters were both making headlines for personal reasons, with Jamie Lynn announcing she was pregnant at 16 years old. Britney, meanwhile, was placed under a conservatorship by dad Jamie Spears in 2008 following a public meltdown and a stint in a psychiatric ward. After making a career comeback, Britney announced plans to postpone and later cancel her second Las Vegas residency in 2019. She subsequently checked into treatment at a mental health facility.

Speculation about Britney continued to make headlines when she petitioned to make changes to her long-running conservatorship. One day before a July 2020 hearing, Jamie Lynn fired back at trolls who accused her of not caring about her sister’s mental health.

“You have no right to assume anything about my sister,” she replied via Instagram. “And I have no right to speak about HER health and personal matters. … She is a strong, badass, unstoppable woman, and that’s the only thing that is OBVIOUS.”

As the #FreeBritney moment gained more attention and Britney asked the court to remove her father from her conservatorship, Lance Bass revealed he checked in with Jamie Lynn for an update on the musician.

“I have talked to Jamie Lynn recently, which is why I feel so much better about this situation,” the ‘Nsync boybander told Entertainment Tonight in September 2020. “The one thing that I do know is, I know Jamie Lynn — if Jamie is OK with everything going on, I feel like she really has her sister’s back during all this. So I trust her to give us the real information.”

Several months later, Britney addressed the court for the first time in June 2021 and made several bombshell claims about the “abusive” conservatorship, revealing that she felt “enslaved” to dad Jamie, has been medicated against her will and is unable to have children because she is not allowed to remove her IUD.

“It’s enough and it makes no sense at all,” Britney said in court. “I’m done. I want to sue my family, to be totally honest with you.”

As social media users called on Jamie Lynn to speak out, she broke her silence in an emotional video via Instagram.

”I think it’s extremely clear that since the day I was born I’ve only loved and adored and supported my sister. I mean, this is my freaking big sister before any of this bulls—t,” Jamie Lynn began. “I don’t care if she wants to run away to the rainforest and have a zillion babies in the middle of nowhere, or if she wants to come back and dominate the world the way she has so many times before. I have nothing to gain or lose either way. This situation does not affect me because I am only her sister who is only concerned about her happiness.”

She continued: “Maybe I didn’t support her the way the public would like me to with a hashtag on a public platform, but I can assure you I’ve supported my sister long before there was a hashtag. And I’ll support her long after. Note that.”

Scroll through for a timeline of Britney and Jamie Lynn’s relationship through the years:


2002

Jamie Lynn was often by Britney’s side at events, including the Crossroads premiere in 2002.

"Truthfully, my childhood was so fun. Everything was new and everything was like Christmas because we were just from this small town and my sister had amazing success. It was so amazing to see my sister reach such heights,” Jamie Lynn told WFAA in 2016. "I think that with all that good, you don't expect the negative side. And I think, for me, it was just that I couldn't believe people can ever be so negative."

Lucy Nicholson/AP/Shutterstock
2007

News broke in late 2007 that Jamie Lynn was expecting her first child with then-boyfriend Casey Aldridge. She gave birth to daughter Maddie in June 2008.

“That was special, but it was also strange because she's always been the baby, and now the baby was having a baby,” Britney told OK! Magazine in 2008. “It was mind-boggling. I was shocked a little bit. But it was really cool, and she was happy. When she got to the hospital, we all thought it was going to be an all-day thing, and instead, the baby just sort of popped out. 'OK, we're happy now!'"

Shutterstock
2014

Britney was by her sister’s side on her wedding day when Jamie Lynn married Jamie Watson in New Orleans in March 2014.

Shutterstock
2016

Along with brother Bryan, Britney surprised Jamie Lynn during her debut at the Grand Ole Opry in 2016. “Thanks to the Opry for letting me introduce this beautiful young lady who is my heart and my soul,” the Grammy winner said on stage. “Not only is she beautiful and extremely talented, but she’s my little sister: Jamie Lynn Spears!”

Jamie Lynn got emotional at the time. “I can’t believe that my whole family kept this secret from me,” she said. “Well, now I’m gonna try to sing some songs for y’all.”

Courtesy Britney Spears/Instagram
2017

Not long after the Opry surprise, Jamie Lynn returned the favor and shocked Britney by taking the stage at the 2017 Radio Disney Music Awards to present her big sister with the first-ever Icon Award and joined Kelsea Ballerini, Sofia Carson and Hailee Steinfeld’s performance tribute during “Till the World Ends.”

“What a pleasant surprise, my goodness!” Britney said at the time. "I want to thank Radio Disney so much for giving me their first-ever Icon Award. What can I say? This is such an honor! Your support throughout my career has meant so much to me.”

 

Shutterstock (2)
2019

Jamie Lynn made her first public statement about Britney’s mental health in years after news broke that the “Perfume” songstress was in treatment.

"10 years ago, who was there?? I have been here long before anyone else, and I'll be here long after," Jamie Lynn captioned an Instagram video of herself yelling at the paparazzi a decade prior. "I love my sister with everything I have. So, anyone or anything that speaks to the contrary can GTFOH with all the comments about what you don't understand. Do not come for me or the ones I love anymore. You can move the 'blank' outta here with all that, just like this other lady who was running her mouth."

 

Shutterstock (2)
2020

Jamie Lynn told Entertainment Tonight in May 2020 that Britney was able to spend some time in Louisiana amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"Britney was like, 'I want to come home, I don't want to be by myself out here,' because all of her family's pretty much here. So she was able to come home for almost two weeks or so. She was here for my birthday and for [my daughter] Ivey's birthday,” she explained. “We're all just trying to abide by the rules and do what we're supposed to do. Having our family has been the biggest blessing, too. I mean, we're driving each other absolutely insane, about things you wouldn't normally get mad about, but at the end of the day, at least we have each other, you know? That's been really fortunate."

Shutterstock (2)
2020

Us confirmed in August 2020 that Jamie Lynn was named the trustee of Britney’s SJB Revocable Trust. According to court documents, Britney’s then-co-conservators Andrew Wallet and dad Jamie amended the trust in 2018.

Shutterstock (2)
2021

After an episode of The New York Times Presents titled "Framing Britney Spears" made waves in February 2021, Jamie Lynn encouraged everyone to “do better” when it comes to mental health. She also shared a quote via Instagram which read, "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always.”  

Shutterstock
2021

Days after Britney’s bombshell virtual court appearance, Jamie Lynn made it clear that she has her sister’s back.

“I’m not my family. I’m my own person. I’m speaking for myself. I’m so proud of her for using her voice. I’m so proud of her for requesting new council like I told her to do many years ago,” the former child actress said. “If ending the conservatorship or flying to Mars or whatever else she wants to do [will make her happy] — I support that, 100 percent. Because I support my sister. I love my sister. Always have, always will. As long as she’s happy. Let’s keep praying. That’s all.”

Jamie Lynn’s husband, Jamie, meanwhile spoke to the New York Post at the time: “I can assure you her family loves her and wants the best for her. I wouldn’t be around people who weren’t. Who wouldn’t want to be in support of Britney?”

 

Shutterstock (2)


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/3jmS0JH

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Baseball Legend Hank Aaron and More Stars We’ve Lost in 2021

It’s never easy to say goodbye. Scroll down to see Us Weekly ‘s tribute to the celebrities who died in 2021. Angie Jakusz The Survivor alum died in New Orleans following a long battle with cancer on January 8. She was 40. “Angie was an incredibly passionate person with an extraordinary lust for life,” her loved ones wrote in an obituary published via Nola.com. “Whether she was sewing, painting, drawing, doing nail art or makeup, costuming, reading, snorkeling, scuba diving, traveling or just raising hell, she did it lovingly and with laser precision. She was a founding member of the New Orleans Noise Coalition and had been a contestant on season 10 of Survivor.” Monty Brinton/CBS Joanne Rogers The musician, the widow of Fred Rogers , died in Pittsburgh on January 14. She was 92. No cause of death was given at the time. "Fred Rogers Productions is deeply saddened by the passing of Joanne Rogers. The loving partner of Fred Rogers for more than 50 years, she continued their