Skip to main content

Reese Witherspoon and Jim Toth’s Relationship Timeline

Marriage looks good on them! Reese Witherspoon and husband Jim Toth have kept their relationship relatively low-key in the decade since they tied the knot.

The actress and the talent agent began dating in 2010 and became engaged soon after. They married in 2011 and welcomed son Tennessee the following year.

Witherspoon opened up about her first impression of Toth upon meeting him at a friend’s house. “It happened out of the blue,” she recalled in her February 2012 Elle cover story. “This really drunk guy was hitting on me, making such an idiot of himself, yelling at me. He was like, [slurring, scowling, pointing finger in her face] ‘You don’t know me.’ And I was like, ‘Yeah, I know. I don’t know you!’”

The Pennsylvania native stepped in to help the Oscar winner, which sparked their romance. “Jim came over and said, ‘Please excuse my friend. He’s just broken up with someone.’ Jim was a really good friend, pulling him out of that situation,” she gushed. “That’s just kind of who he is, a really good person.”

Witherspoon hinted in the May 2011 issue of Elle UK that she was not expecting to find her forever with Toth. “It’s an exciting feeling. [Somebody saying,] ‘You’re The One,’” she told the magazine. “And it’s a surprise. You know, I’m surprised when people who aren’t related to me see my movies. And you’re surprised somebody wants to be with you because, boy, I’ve got a lot of quirks and wrinkles.”

Prior to her relationship with Toth, the Big Little Lies alum was married to Ryan Phillippe from 1999 to 2008. The exes are parents of daughter Ava and son Deacon.

“I was so, so young. I was, like, ridiculously young,” Witherspoon, who was 23 at the time that she wed her Cruel Intentions costar, told Elle UK of her first marriage. “I learned a lot, though. It was an excellent opportunity for me to really find out what it means to be a partner and to be in a marriage and it’s not anything that I thought it was.”

After the Legally Blonde star made things official with Toth, Phillippe had only well-wishes for the twosome. “I’m very happy for both Reese and Jim,” he told the New York Daily News following their wedding. “I wish nothing but the best for the mother of my children.”

Scroll through the gallery below to revisit Witherspoon and Toth’s love story!


January 2010

The Morning Show star began seeing Toth in January 2010 after her December 2009 split from Jake Gyllenhaal, whom she dated following her divorce from Phillippe. They went public with their romance in March 2010.

BDG/Shutterstock
December 2010

Witherspoon’s rep confirmed exclusively to Us Weekly that the two were engaged, adding that they were “extremely happy.” 

BDG/Shutterstock
March 2011

The Wild actress and Toth tied the knot at her ranch in Ojai, California, on March 26, 2011. “He’s a very confident guy who takes care of her,” one source told Us at the time, while a second insider said: “[Reese] really wants to be married and have that security with someone. They feel like they’ve hit the jackpot in this relationship!” 

Michael Wright/WENN.com Newscom/Mega
September 2011

Witherspoon raved about Toth’s bond with Ava and Deacon shortly after their nuptials. “I got lucky. I did. I got very lucky. He’s so wonderful with the children. I’m very blessed,” she told Marie Claire. “Somebody close to me once said, ‘Oh, no man will ever accept your children.’ And I just thought it was the most horrifying thing someone has ever said to me in my entire life. And until I got remarried, I don’t think I realized how stressed I was. I feel so much relief. I don’t think I realized how stressed I was being a single parent. It was really, really stressful. It’s not easy on anybody. It’s really traumatic.”  

Courtesy of Reese Witherspoon/Instagram
September 2012

The Emmy winner gave birth to her first child with Toth on September 27, 2012. “Reese Witherspoon and husband Jim Toth welcomed Tennessee James into their family today,” her rep told Us at the time. “Both mom and baby are healthy and the entire family is thrilled.”  

Courtesy of Reese Witherspoon/Instagram
April 2013

Witherspoon and Toth were arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct and DUI, respectively. She pleaded no contest and was ordered to pay a fine. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to community service, one year of probation and an alcohol education program.  

“I clearly had one drink too many and I am deeply embarrassed about the things I said,” she told Us in an April 2013 statement. “It was definitely a scary situation and I was frightened for my husband, but that is no excuse. I was disrespectful to the officer who was just doing his job. The words I used that night definitely do not reflect who I am. I have nothing but respect for the police and I’m very sorry for my behavior.” 

John Shearer/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
September 2014

The Little Fires Everywhere alum joked about how she keeps the spark alive in her marriage. “Our date nights are mainly helping our kids with homework,” she told Us in September 2014. “And then, going to sleep.” 

Broadimage/Shutterstock
February 2016

Witherspoon shared a note Toth wrote her via Instagram that read, “Happy Valentine’s Day, beautiful! I love you! Jim.” In the caption, she gushed, “Love my sweet husband!”

Courtesy of Reese Witherspoon/Instagram
January 2017

The Draper James founder gave a glimpse at a private moment with her husband as they got ready for the Golden Globe Awards. “Happy #NationalSpousesDay to this handsome fella. #TBT,” she wrote.  

Courtesy of Reese Witherspoon/Instagram
January 2018

Witherspoon and Toth hung out with her pal and frequent costar Laura Dern. “FEEL THE DERN #fridaynight,” the Walk the Line actress quipped via Instagram. 

Courtesy of Reese Witherspoon/Instagram
March 2019

The pair showed off their ‘70s-inspired attire alongside Tennessee. “Saturday Night Disco vibes (one of us has an early bedtime) #disco #letsdance,” she wrote.  

Courtesy of Reese Witherspoon/Instagram
June 2019

Witherspoon documented her “date night in Paris” with Toth.

Courtesy of Reese Witherspoon/Instagram
July 2020

“Happy Birthday to my amazing hubby, Jim!!” the Sweet Home Alabama star raved. “Everything you do, you put in 1000%! Whether he’s training for a triathlon, giving back to his community, supporting his friends, or loving his family, he gives his whole heart to so many people everyday! I [love] you so much, JT! #youmake50lookgood.” 

Courtesy of Reese Witherspoon/Instagram
February 2021

Witherspoon marked Valentine’s Day with Toth. “Love my Valentine,” she wrote. “#11years of love & laughter.” 

Courtesy of Reese Witherspoon/Instagram


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/2PAraRK

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Baseball Legend Hank Aaron and More Stars We’ve Lost in 2021

It’s never easy to say goodbye. Scroll down to see Us Weekly ‘s tribute to the celebrities who died in 2021. Angie Jakusz The Survivor alum died in New Orleans following a long battle with cancer on January 8. She was 40. “Angie was an incredibly passionate person with an extraordinary lust for life,” her loved ones wrote in an obituary published via Nola.com. “Whether she was sewing, painting, drawing, doing nail art or makeup, costuming, reading, snorkeling, scuba diving, traveling or just raising hell, she did it lovingly and with laser precision. She was a founding member of the New Orleans Noise Coalition and had been a contestant on season 10 of Survivor.” Monty Brinton/CBS Joanne Rogers The musician, the widow of Fred Rogers , died in Pittsburgh on January 14. She was 92. No cause of death was given at the time. "Fred Rogers Productions is deeply saddened by the passing of Joanne Rogers. The loving partner of Fred Rogers for more than 50 years, she continued their