Skip to main content

Everything Ben Affleck Has Said About His Sobriety, Battle With Alcoholism

Growing all the time. Ben Affleck has been vocal about his sobriety throughout his career, starting with his openness about his family history and rehab stays.

Before the Dazed and Confused actor rose to fame in the early ‘90s, his parents divorced when he was just 12 years old. At the time, Affleck didn’t know that his father was an alcoholic, but he told Barbara Walters in 2012 that he recalled his dad drinking “a lot.” He explained: “He, you know, drank all day, every day and to his credit, he got sober ultimately.”

After starring in Good Will Hunting with his longtime friend Matt Damon, Affleck chose to stop drinking in 1997. “I just wanted to stop. I started regretting some things I did when I was drunk,” he told a reporter at the time via Fox News. “It’s funny to be obnoxious or out of control, but then it’s like, ‘I think I hurt that person’s feelings, ‘I made a fool of myself’ or ‘I didn’t want to kiss that girl.’ I have almost no inhibitions, so it’s dangerous for me.”

It wasn’t until 2001 that the Pearl Harbor actor sought treatment for his alcoholism. He has since been to rehab multiple times, including a stay in 2017 and 2018. Us Weekly confirmed that his August 2018 stay came after his ex-wife, Jennifer Garner, with whom he shares daughters Violet and Seraphina and son Samuel, staged an intervention with the help of a sober coach at his California home.

The Runner producer suffered another setback in October 2019, two months after celebrating one-year of sobriety. Affleck was photographed leaving a Halloween party intoxicated.

Four months later, Affleck spoke out about the incident and opened up about his family’s history of “alcoholism and mental illness” during a New York Times interview, saying, “The legacy of that is quite powerful and somethings hard to shake.”

The Deep Water actor explained that his father “didn’t really get sober” until he was 19, noting it wasn’t easy to diagnose himself as an alcoholic despite seeing it in his family.

“It took me a long time to fundamentally, deeply, without a hint of doubt, admit to myself that I am an alcoholic. The next drink will not be different,” he said in February 2020.

After his Halloween relapse, Affleck admitted that falling off the wagon “is embarrassing,” telling the outlet he wished it didn’t happen. “I really wish it wasn’t on the internet for my kids to see. Jen and I did our best to address it and be honest,” he added.

In January 2021, Affleck revealed during an episode of The Hollywood Reporter’s “Awards Chatter” podcast that he feels “really good” despite having sober slips here and there.

Scroll down to revisit Affleck’s most honest quotes about sobriety.


Party Life

The Daredevil actor completed a 30-day rehab program in Malibu, California in the summer of 2001. He later told The Hollywood Reporter in 2012 about that time in his life, saying, "I went to rehab for being 29 and partying too much and not having a lot of boundaries and to clear my head and try to get some idea of who I wanted to be. It was more a 'let me get myself straight' before it became a rite of passage."

Shutterstock
No Shame

“I have completed treatment for alcohol addiction; something I’ve dealt with in the past and will continue to confront,” Affleck wrote via Facebook in March 2017 after his second rehab stint. “I want to live life to the fullest and be the best father I can be. I want my kids to know there is no shame in getting help when you need it, and to be a source of strength for anyone out there who needs help but is afraid to take the first step.”

He added: “I’m lucky to have the love of my family and friends, including my co-parent, Jen, who has supported me and cared for our kids as I’ve done the work I set out to do. This was the first of many steps being taken towards a positive recovery.”

Shutterstock
Feeling Supported

Garner brought the Argo director to a 40-day treatment facility in August 2018 for his alcoholism struggles. “The support I have received from my family, colleagues and fans means more to me than I can say. It’s given me the strength and support to speak about my illness with others,” Affleck wrote via Instagram in October 2018 after completing his third rehab stay. “Battling any addiction is a lifelong and difficult struggle. Because of that, one is never really in or out of treatment. It is a full-time commitment. I am fighting for myself and my family.”

The Oscar winner continued: “As I’ve had to remind myself, if you have a problem, getting help is a sign of courage, not weakness or failure. With acceptance and humility, I continue to avail myself with the help of so many people and I am grateful to all those who are there for me. I hope down the road I can offer an example to others who are struggling.”

Shutterstock
Getting Candid

“Some people are sort of uncomfortable, [but] it doesn’t really bother me to talk about alcoholism and being an alcoholic,” the Triple Frontier star said on the Today show in March 2019. “It’s part of my life. It’s something that I deal with. It doesn’t have to sort of subsume my whole identity and be everything, but it is something that you know you have to work at.” Affleck acknowledged that he “had a problem” and has continued to seek help to overcome it. “I take some pride in that,” he added. “It’s about yourself, your life, your family and … we encounter these kinds of hurdles and we have to deal with them.”

NBC News/NBC’S TODAY
Taking Ownership

After celebrating one year of sobriety in August 2019, the Massachusetts native relapsed while attending a Halloween party in October 2019. The slip up was captured on film and Affleck was seen stumbling out of the bash while intoxicated. The actor owned up to his mistake the following day, telling photographers via the Daily Mail, “Well, you know, it happens. It’s a slip, but I’m not going to let it derail me.”

Snorlax/MEGA
Divorce Woes

The Good Will Hunting actor opened up in February 2020 about how his public divorce influenced his drinking habits. "People with compulsive behavior, and I am one, have this kind of basic discomfort all the time that they're trying to make go away. You're trying to make yourself feel better with eating or drinking or sex or gambling or shopping or whatever. But that ends up making your life worse," Affleck told the New York Times. "Then you do more of it to make that discomfort go away. Then the real pain starts. It becomes a vicious cycle you can't break. That's at least what happened to me."

He explained: "I drank relatively normally for a long time. What happened was that I started drinking more and more when my marriage was falling apart. This was 2015, 2016. My drinking, of course, created more marital problems."

Matt Baron/Shutterstock (2)
Halloween Horrors

The Gone Girl star reflected on his Halloween party relapse in October 2019 during an appearance on Good Morning America in February 2020. “I did watch some of it, although not the whole, whole thing. I know what it looks like to be drunk. I don’t need to watch any more of it,” Affleck said of the viral TMZ footage from his drunk outing.

Affleck said he took the sobriety slip as a sign that he needed to take a step back and be with family. “I took the last half of the year off. And I just got to be dad. Drive ‘em to school, pick ‘em up. Go to the swim meet That’s where the parenting happens — it’s in the cracks,” he said. “I have to be the man I wanna be at this point. I don’t have any more room for failure of that kind.” He added that he’s doing his “very, very best” to stay healthy.

Christopher Smith/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
For the Kids

"I really don't want my children to pay for my sins," Affeck told ABC News' Diane Sawyer in an emotional interview in February 2020. "Or to be afraid for me, which is one of that hard parts of being the child of an alcoholic. You think, 'What if my dad gets drunk? What if he does something stupid? What if he ends up on TMZ, and it's on my newsfeed and other kids see it?'"

GMA
Character Connection

Affleck revealed in March 2020 that he was trying to “bring some personal experience” to his character Jack Cunningham in the film The Way Back. In the movie, Affleck plays a former high school basketball star who returns to his alma mater to coach while confronting his alcoholism. “There are things about this character I really could connect to: being a recovering alcoholic, going through family strife, a divorce,” he told Us and other reporters. “But also, there were things that I had to really use my imagination for that I couldn’t imagine. And one of those things was being good at basketball, which I’m not particularly.”

He added: “One of the beautiful things about a movie that allows for expression of genuine feeling, real people conquering real problems that at end of the day feel like a rich fullness, I guess in kind of a cathartic sense.”

Broadimage/Shutterstock
Moving Forward

Affleck reflected on the ups and downs of his career during a January 2021 episode of The Hollywood Reporter’s “Awards Chatter” podcast, revealing why he filmed Batman after “suffering” through 2017’s Justice League due to his battle with alcoholism. “I did Batman because I wanted to do it for my kids. I wanted to do something my son would dig. I mean, my kids didn’t see Argo,” he said. “I started drinking too much around the time of Justice League, and it’s a hard thing to confront and face and deal with. I’ve been sober for a while now, and I feel really good — as healthy and good as I’ve ever felt.”

Shutterstock


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/2NFOTz3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Baseball Legend Hank Aaron and More Stars We’ve Lost in 2021

It’s never easy to say goodbye. Scroll down to see Us Weekly ‘s tribute to the celebrities who died in 2021. Angie Jakusz The Survivor alum died in New Orleans following a long battle with cancer on January 8. She was 40. “Angie was an incredibly passionate person with an extraordinary lust for life,” her loved ones wrote in an obituary published via Nola.com. “Whether she was sewing, painting, drawing, doing nail art or makeup, costuming, reading, snorkeling, scuba diving, traveling or just raising hell, she did it lovingly and with laser precision. She was a founding member of the New Orleans Noise Coalition and had been a contestant on season 10 of Survivor.” Monty Brinton/CBS Joanne Rogers The musician, the widow of Fred Rogers , died in Pittsburgh on January 14. She was 92. No cause of death was given at the time. "Fred Rogers Productions is deeply saddened by the passing of Joanne Rogers. The loving partner of Fred Rogers for more than 50 years, she continued their