Skip to main content

Scarlett Johansson Talks ‘Romanticized’ Ryan Reynolds Marriage: 5 'Vanity Fair' Takeways

Controversial statements, divorce, coparenting, oh my! Scarlett Johansson reflected on her life in the public eye in her Vanity Fair cover story.

“I’ve been working for, I don’t know, 25 years or something,” the 35-year-old actress began while chatting with the magazine. “Over that time, my feelings towards work, it’s ebbed and flowed. At times I felt like I couldn’t get anything that was substantial or that felt challenging to me.”

Johansson’s latest role in the movie Marriage Story, which also stars Adam Driver, sparked a conversation about the Avengers star’s past relationships. Johansson was married to Ryan Reynolds from 2008 to 2011. (The Proposal star married Blake Lively, with whom he shares three kids, a year after his divorce from Johansson was finalized.)

After a whirlwind romance with Sean Penn, Johansson started seeing journalist Romain Dauriac. The twosome, who share 5-year-old daughter Rose, tied the knot in 2014. They split after less than three years of marriage.

“I had some kind of shared experience with the character, or with any person going through a divorce, really,” Johansson told Vanity Fair. “I understood the bittersweetness of it somehow, in a way. All those kind of in-between feelings that the character has. I understood them because I had gone through them myself.” But she points out that even in terms of her own personal experience of divorce, she drew just as much, or more, on memories of her parents’ struggles than her own.”

While Johansson has been divorced twice, she cited her role as a mother as more influential on her role as Nicole in Marriage Story.

“That was actually more valuable to me than the experience of going through a divorce. Because I never actually went through the kind of divorce that’s portrayed in the film,” she explained. “You know, understanding what it is to coparent —that’s a very specific thing. It’s hard to raise a child with someone you’re no longer with. It’s hard. It’s not probably how it’s ‘supposed to be’ — in quotes — or whatever…. But, you know, I think my ex and I do it as well as we can. You have to prioritize your child and not put yourself in the middle. It has its challenges.”

Johansson has since moved on with Colin Jost. The Saturday Night Live star popped the question in May after two years of dating.

Scroll through for five revelations from the cover story:


On Her Marriage to Ryan Reynolds

“The first time I got married I was 23 years old,” Johansson said, referring to the Deadpool actor. “I didn’t really have an understanding of marriage. Maybe I kind of romanticized it, I think, in a way. It’s a different part of my life now. I feel like I’m in a place in my life, I feel I’m able to make more active choices. I’m more present, I think, than I’ve been before.”

 

Greg Allen/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
On Romain Dauriac Divorce

“The idea of building a family, making a family, and having that work, I like that idea. I think that would be wonderful,” she told the magazine. “I’ve always wanted that. I wanted that also in my marriage to my daughter’s father as well. It just wasn’t the right person.” 

 

Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
On the ‘Rub & Tug’ Casting Backlash

Johansson came under fire in July 2018 after she was cast as a transgender man in the film Rub & Tug. While she eventually exited the role, Johansson’s initial reaction was to put out a statement citing other actors/actress who have portrayed transgender characters: “Tell them that they can be directed to Jeffrey Tambor, Jared Leto, and Felicity Huffman’s reps for comment.”

 

While chatting with Vanity Fair, Johansson admitted she “mishandled” the situation. 

 

“I was not sensitive, my initial reaction to it. I wasn’t totally aware of how the trans community felt about those three actors playing — and how they felt in general about cis actors playing — transgender people,” she said. “I wasn’t aware of that conversation — I was uneducated. So I learned a lot through that process. I misjudged that…. It was a hard time. It was like a whirlwind. I felt terribly about it. To feel like you’re kind of tone-deaf to something is not a good feeling.”

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
On the Woody Allen Backlash

Johansson has also made headlines for her friendship and working relationship with Woody Allen, who has been accused of sexual abuse.

 

“I’m not a politician, and I can’t lie about the way I feel about things,” she told the magazine. “I don’t have that. It’s just not a part of my personality. I don’t want to have to edit myself, or temper what I think or say. I can’t live that way. It’s just not me. And also I think that when you have that kind of integrity, it’s going to probably rub people, some people, the wrong way. And that’s kind of par for the course, I guess.”

 

She concluded that her relationship with Allen is “my experience.” 

 

“I don’t know any more than any other person knows. I only have a close proximity with Woody … he’s a friend of mine. But I have no other insight other than my relationship with him,” she said. “I do understand how that is triggering for some people. But just because I believe my friend does not mean that I don’t support women, believe women. I think you have to take it on a case-by-case basis. You can’t have this blanket statement — I don’t believe that. But that’s my personal belief. That’s how I feel.”

Bbc Films/Focus Features/Kobal/Shutterstock
On How Motherhood Changed Her

“Now I have a child … not that I’m not career-driven now, but I guess I’ve been driven by other sides of my career in the past,” she explained. “Maybe I was more concerned with a certain kind of visibility or exposure. And now I’m not as worried about that stuff. I’m in a good phase in my career where I’m able to actually wait for stuff that’s right.”

 

Rob Latour/Shutterstock


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/37FT1Er

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Baseball Legend Hank Aaron and More Stars We’ve Lost in 2021

It’s never easy to say goodbye. Scroll down to see Us Weekly ‘s tribute to the celebrities who died in 2021. Angie Jakusz The Survivor alum died in New Orleans following a long battle with cancer on January 8. She was 40. “Angie was an incredibly passionate person with an extraordinary lust for life,” her loved ones wrote in an obituary published via Nola.com. “Whether she was sewing, painting, drawing, doing nail art or makeup, costuming, reading, snorkeling, scuba diving, traveling or just raising hell, she did it lovingly and with laser precision. She was a founding member of the New Orleans Noise Coalition and had been a contestant on season 10 of Survivor.” Monty Brinton/CBS Joanne Rogers The musician, the widow of Fred Rogers , died in Pittsburgh on January 14. She was 92. No cause of death was given at the time. "Fred Rogers Productions is deeply saddened by the passing of Joanne Rogers. The loving partner of Fred Rogers for more than 50 years, she continued their