Skip to main content

Dax Shepard’s Most Powerful Quotes About Addiction and Sobriety

Not hiding it. Dax Shepard has never shied away from opening up about his struggle with addiction and his rocky road to sober living.

The Parenthood alum married Kristen Bell in October 2013, and the pair share two daughters, Lincoln and Delta. One year before they exchanged vows, Shepard admitted that he and the Veronica Mars actress were total “opposites.”

“All the things I’d done were terrifying to her, and she had a hard time believing I would ever be able to stay married and monogamous and a father and all those things. For the first year and a half [that] we were together, that was what we battled over almost weekly,” he told Playboy in 2012, noting that he had a history of drinking and using “cocaine, opiates, marijuana, diet pills, pain pills, everything.”

Shepard later turned his life around and pursued sobriety. After nearly being clean for nearly 16 years, the “Armchair Expert” podcast host revealed that he suffered a relapse in his pill addiction after a string of different events — including a major motorcycle accident — led him to misuse painkillers. Despite his roadblock, Bell was still “nothing but supportive” of her husband.

“Eventually, he couldn’t hide it from her any longer and he had to come clean. She was nothing but supportive and there’s no blame or anger on her side – just love, care and determination to get through this together,” a source told Us Weekly exclusively in October 2020. “Her heart aches for Dax after what he went through with his dad, and she’s beyond proud of him for turning his life around whilst openly addressing his demons head-on.”

Following his candid revelation, Shepard thanked Bell and his podcast cohost, Monica Padman, for giving him the space and time he needed to heal.

“I can’t imagine having to admit that to other people and feeling as safe as I did that you guys wouldn’t hate me. I hated me at that point and so, to be able to tell you guys and feel unconditionally loved and that I would be accepted was really special,” he said in December 2020. “It saved my life. … Even with two surgeries and a relapse and shame spiral and all this stuff, still a great year for me.”

Scroll down to look back at some of Shepard’s most powerful quotes about his sobriety journey.


‘Going Down the Rabbit Hole’

During a 2012 interview with Playboy, the actor reflected on the big differences in his and Bell’s lifestyles. “All the things I'd done were terrifying to her, and she had a hard time believing I would ever be able to stay married and monogamous and a father and all those things. For the first year and a half we were together, that was what we battled over almost weekly,” he said at the time. “I just loved to get f—ed-up—drinking, cocaine, opiates, marijuana, diet pills, pain pills, everything. Mostly my love was Jack Daniel's and cocaine. I lived for going down the rabbit hole of meeting weird people. … I got lucky in that I didn’t go to jail.”

 

Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
It Was ‘Life Threatening’

Shepard celebrated a major milestone in his sobriety journey in September 2016. “12 years ago today I came out of my last toxic, life threatening stupor. I now have a wife & babies & some self-esteem #gratitude #promises,” he tweeted at the time.

Peter Brooker/Shutterstock
More Than One ‘Rock Bottom’

“There's a couple of common fallacies about sobriety. One being that people hit a bottom and then that's that. Most addicts have many bottoms,” Shepard explained during a 2019 conversation on Off Camera With Sam Jones, reflecting on one moment that made him “take stock” of his life. “I am about to star in this movie, Zathura; they're paying me a ton of money; people recognize me at the airport. I'm doing everything I had dreamt of doing for 30 years. It all came true, and I'm the least happy I've ever been in my life. I'm closest to not wanting to be alive as I've ever been, and I had every single thing on paper that I'd ever wanted. I feel grateful for this because I was able to say, 'Something much more profound is broken.’”

YouTube
Defending Kristen

After the Good Place alum came clean about her recreational marijuana use, Shepard asserted that his wife’s smoking didn’t hamper his sobriety. “That would be like a diabetic expecting their partner to never eat dessert,” he tweeted in September 2018 after Bell made headlines. “Get real!”

Eric Charbonneau/Shutterstock
Feeling Superstitious

While speaking with Goop founder Gwyneth Paltrow in 2019, the Michigan native admitted that he’d become “crazy superstitious” about keeping a detailed journal for the first 12 years of his sobriety. “I had this thought that if I can't commit 20 minutes to remembering I'm an addict each morning, I'm going to end up blowing nine hours a day as an addict," he said at the time. "I have to be able to say, minimally, this is your commitment. You've got to acknowledge you're an addict every day, first thing, right when you wake up, you write a page. It doesn't even have to be about being an addict. It's just this physical activity there to remind myself, ‘I have a thing that I'll never not have.”

Rob Latour/Shutterstock
AA Is ‘Not Abstract’

“I don't believe people think their ways into acting different. I think they act their ways into thinking different. So, a program for quitting alcohol that doesn't involve some action, I have a low expectation for,” Shepard told Pete Holmes during an interview on his “Armchair Expert” podcast in 2019, outlining his thoughts about Alcoholics Anonymous. “Now, it does work for people and I would never tell someone it's not working for them. But just in general, the thing I like about AA is it's not abstract: Here's what you do; write this list; call this person; be available to this guy; take that person to a meeting. You can't wake up one morning because you're so demoralized from the night before and decide, 'I'm going to permanently remember that I felt this demoralized in six years and this will be sustainable.' For me, at least, I will forget six years later what it felt like. But if I have actions that are a part of my regular muscle memory and routine, those things will do the lifting for me.”

Rob Latour/Shutterstock
7 Days

In September 2020, the Hit and Run star detailed a major setback in his struggle with pill addiction, noting at the time that he was seven days sober. The revelation came one month after Shepard was injured in a motorcycle accident. “I’ve had a lot of friends that I’ve watched go through this whole cycle, and I finally have the humility to say I will not be any different,” he said on his podcast. “I won’t be special. I won’t be smarter. I will be exactly like everyone else.”

Shortly after coming forward about his relapse, Shepard thanked his fans for sticking by his side and sending him their love. “[I’m] struggling with some fraudulent feelings of receiving love based on a f–k-up. But at any rate, I’m really, really grateful and there’s so many beautiful, nice people,” he added.

Andrew H. Walker/Shutterstock
No Point in Hiding

Following his vulnerable relapse revelation, the Employee of the Month actor admitted he’s “a little confused” by people who don’t speak openly about drug use. “If you’re not going to be honest about stuff, there are just roadblocks in interviewing,” he said on the “Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum” podcast in October 2020. “I could advance this whole thing, but I don’t want to tell people I’ve done cocaine so now I can’t advance it because of that. They all end up being little roadblocks along the way.”

Gregory Pace/Shutterstock
His Lifesaver

After a year filled with ups and downs, Shepard felt grateful to have his wife and family to help him through his lowest moments. “I can’t imagine having to admit that to other people and feeling as safe as I did that you guys wouldn’t hate me. I hated me at that point and so, to be able to tell you guys and feel unconditionally loved and that I would be accepted was really special,” he told Bell and podcast cohost Monica Padman in December 2020. “It saved my life.”

Jim Smeal/Shutterstock
‘We Tell Them the Whole Thing’

In an interview for the "In Fact With Chelsea Clinton" podcast, Shepard opened up about how he explained his August 2020 relapse to his kids. “When I relapsed we explained, ‘Well Daddy was on these pills for a surgery and then Daddy was a bad boy. He started getting his own pills,'” he shared in April 2021. “Yeah, we tell them the whole thing. The proudest I am of my children ever is when they admit something and say sorry. That to me is the single most impressive thing a little person can do, because it’s the bravest thing to own your shortcomings.”

He added that he's always been open with Lincoln and Delta about his addiction, even when they were toddlers. “They know that dad goes to an AA meeting every Tuesday and Thursday,” he said. “One of the cuter moments was, I wanna say my oldest daughter was 3 — back when my daughters really wanted to be with me 24 hours a day — and she said, ‘Where are you going?’ I said, ‘I’m going to AA.' She said, ‘Why do you have to go?’ I go, ‘Because I’m an alcoholic and if I don’t go there then I’ll drink and I’ll be a terrible dad. And she said, ‘Can I go?’ I said, ‘Well, no, you got to be an alcoholic.’ And she goes, ‘I’m gonna be an alcoholic.’ I said, ‘You might become one. The odds are not in your favor, but you’re not there yet.”

Courtesy of Kristen Bell/Instagram


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/3hzLoVs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Beyonce Praises Meghan Markle for Her ‘Courage’ After Tell-All Interview

Ladies get into formation! Beyoncé showed her support for Meghan Markle after the duchess’ tell-all interview aired on Sunday, March 7. Stars React to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Bombshell Interview Read article “Thank you, Meghan for your courage and leadership,” Beyoncé, 39, wrote via her website on Tuesday, March 9, alongside a photo of the pair at the Lion King premiere in 2019. “ We are all strengthened and inspired by you .” Beyoncé previously paid tribute to the philanthropist, 39, when she and Jay-Z accepted the Brit Award for Best International Group in February 2019. During their speech, the couple stood in front of a portrait of Markle wearing a crown and pearl necklaces . The video was also a nod to the duo’s “APES—T” music video, in which the Mona Lisa was positioned behind them. Meghan Markle meets Beyonce Knowles and her husband, Jay-Z, as she attends the European premiere of the film The Lion King in London on July 14, 2019. Shutterstock “In hono