Skip to main content

Jewel and More Celebs Speak Up About Mental Health Amid COVID-19

Looking inward. The coronavirus pandemic has affected people from all walks of life — and has taken its toll on all aspects of daily life.

In addition to halting Hollywood productions and changing fashion houses into mask and personal protective equipment factories, celebrities and citizens alike have been battling mental health problems and the ups and downs brought about by the stress of the crisis and quarantine.

Lili Reinhart, Shawn Mendes and Julianne Hough have opened up to their followers about their personal struggles while sharing tips for easing the fears of COVID-19 and the “new normal.”

“It’s been an incredibly hard month for all of us,” the Riverdale star wrote via Instagram on April 17. “And although this quarantine is isolating and extremely challenging for those of us who struggle with mental health, I have learned a lot about myself during this time. I have learned to cherish the people in my life who have stood by me through my best and my worst.”

The Hustlers actress opened up her journey with her new dog, Milo, who was attacked by a bigger dog, and how she’s leaned on her friends and family from afar.

“At the end of the day, all we have is each other,” she explained. “And all we can offer one another during this time is love and kindness. Love as hard as you can because the people around you may need it more than you think.”

Mendes revealed a guide to taking care of one’s mental health during the heightened-stress times, admitting that “10 deep breaths in a moment of stress is magic.” He told Time that people shouldn’t be “frustrated” if they “feel trapped or stressed.”

“This is a hard time for everyone and you deserve patience from yourself,” the Canadian singer told the outlet on April 16. “My emotions have been all over the place … some days I’m OK, and others it’s scary. Acknowledging the feelings out loud helps me process them and move forward. I am trying to be kind and compassionate to myself.”

Other stars, including Jana Kramer, Christopher Wood and Josh Gad have offered fans love and support via social media. They have opted to share checklists about mental health and cried alongside their followers as they show solidarity during the turmoil-filled time.

Scroll down to see how stars are working on their mental health amid the coronavirus pandemic.


Jaden Smith

“I’m just stressed about everything, and it’s really crazy. It doesn’t happen to me too much, but when it does, it happens. It’s very strong,” the singer told Apple Music’s Zane Lowe on July 27. “Sometimes it’s work-related, and then sometimes you can really see that it’s that true, genuine anxiety where it’s just, like, anything and everything.”

Eric Charbonneau/Shutterstock
Tallulah Willis

The daughter of Demi Moore and Bruce Willis opened up about her battle with mental health via Instagram on July 21. “A lethal combination of untreated severe chemical imbalance/depression, harmful coping mechanisms and certain debilitating traumas has me questioning if I wanted to continue this life,” Tallulah wrote. “To have suicidal ideation to me, is to feel there is an unpredictable and unstoppable threat living within your body. In far too often moments, I felt the pain was too overwhelming to keep going. I begged to be saved from my own mind. I am unfathomably lucky that by some unseen force I did not take action on these thoughts.”

Tallulah also referred individuals who are “hurting or questioning harming themselves” to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.

Sara Jaye Weiss/Shutterstock
Mikaela Shiffrin

The Olympian revealed that she began prioritizing her mental health after dealing with performance anxiety following the 2014 Sochi Olympics. “I would get to the start, and totally freeze,” she said via video on July 12 while virtually joining the crowd at Colorado’s Nottingham Park for the He(art) of Vail Valley’s Youth event. “My eyes would start watering. I'd feel like I had to gag or like my throat was closing and I couldn't breathe anymore. This happened almost every single race for an entire season, about three minutes before I was actually supposed to go and race my run.”

Shiffrin continued, “I never expected that I would be somebody who was completely petrified by pressure and by performance anxiety. But I went through a phase of that, and I had to learn how to control my mind and my emotions and stress.”

Pier Marco Tacca/AP/Shutterstock
Paris Jackson

Following the loss of her dad, Michael Jackson, in 2009, the California native fell into a depression. More than 10 years later, she opened up about her experience with self-harm and mental health treatment. "For me, my depression comes in waves, so even though the lows are unbearably low, I would still rather that than nothing," she said on her Unfiltered: Paris Jackson & Gabriel Glenn series. "Pain is way better than just numb because at least you're feeling something." Jackson explained that during her darkest moments, she attempted suicide "many times," and was later sent to boarding school in Utah. "I learned a lot about myself. The problems that I went there with got fixed, but I left with way more than I came in with," she said. "I'm trying to just be content. ... Self-love s--t is hard."

Broadimage/Shutterstock
Sia

The “Chandelier” singer opened up about her past mental health struggles during her rise to fame and following her short-lived marriage to Erik Anders in an interview with Apple Music’s Zane Lowe on June 30. “I went into wig mode and behind the scenes stuff,” she said of her musical start. “In the beginning I sent a pretty clear message, ‘Can you just leave me alone for a little while? Because I’m having kind of a nervous breakdown. I’ve put a wig on so that you know I don’t want to be famous,’ and I sent a clear message, and people have been extremely respectful of that message. Then I got married, got a divorce almost as quickly. That was super devastating. It brought up a lot of developmental trauma, and I was in bed for three and a half years.”

She explained that her childhood traumas and being thrown in the limelight also led to feelings of depression. “I had a lot of suicidal ideation over the last three and a half years. I couldn’t get out of bed. I was finally diagnosed with complex PTSD and not a bipolar two,” the musician explained. “So I thought I’d been living with bipolar two, and then I was actually correctly diagnosed as having complex PTSD from a number of childhood and developmental things, and then a bunch of adult trauma as well. And then I also think that getting famous should fall under a traumatic category, and I think that’s why a lot of our celebrities are in rehab and killing themselves. It’s the greatest disappointment.”

Mediapunch/Shutterstock
Kelly Clarkson and Chelsea Handler

Kelly Clarkson and Chelsea Handler opened up about how therapy has helped them during a June 24 appearance on The Kelly Clarkson Show. The comedian shared that she started therapy after the 2016 presidential election. “I had a lot of anger and I had a lot of rage about [President Donald Trump] being elected,” she explained.

Clarkson, for her part, added: “I actually, 100 percent, know and go to therapy. You think you’re past it, and although you know the situation and think you figured it out, you just don’t realize how much PTSD comes into play when something triggers you like that.”

The Kelly Clarkson Show
Tia Mowry

The Sister, Sister alum took to Instagram on June 14 to open up about her anxiety amid the pandemic. 

“Taking a breath. It’s needed. It’s really needed. My emotions have been so up and down this year. One minute I feel like I can handle things and the next I’m overwhelmed with #anxiety and #fear and #sadness about what’s going on in our world,” she wrote. “But then, I take a moment and take a deep breath and literally mediate on the #positives. I say all this to say, please take care of your #mentalhealth during these trying times. It’s important. #meditation #breath.”

Courtesy of Tia Mowry/Instagram
Taraji P. Henson

The Empire alum opened up about her well-being during the COVID-19 crisis while discussing her new mental health program, which is targeted at helping people of color amid the coronavirus pandemic. “When COVID happened, my heart went out and I just knew that people were suffering and they’re suffering alone in isolation,” she told CNN’s Anderson Cooper and Sanjay Gupta on May 28. “I’m blessed. I can call my therapist. I can pay for it without thinking about it, but what about those who can’t?”

Kristin Callahan/ACE Pictures/Shutterstock
Sarah Michelle Gellar

During an E! News interview on May 29, Gellar opened up about her coping mechanisms amid quarantine. “This is definitely the most anxiety and uncertainty that I've ever experienced,” she shared with the news outlet. “While I don’t have all the answers, I’m going to share with you some of the things that have been working for me.”

The Buffy alum continued, “I’ve been exercising every day which is really important to both my physical, but also my mental health. I’ve been reading a lot. I love books and it takes my mind off what’s happening and it takes me somewhere else.”

AFF-USA/Shutterstock
Lily Collins

“On the surface, this was a happy, confident girl,” Collins wrote via Instagram on May 20, alongside a photo of herself as a teenager. “On the inside, I was struggling with so much insecurity and doubt within myself. At this age throughout my late teens and into my twenties, it felt really difficult to speak out about my internal struggles — with family, with relationships, eating disorders and overall uncertainty.” The Mirror Mirror actress noted that speaking out about mental health shouldn’t be “taboo” and “we shouldn’t be afraid to speak to each other about [the topic].”

She continued: “We’re here to get each other through these moments not judge one another for having them. So if I could remind that younger me of one thing it would be that I’m never alone. We’re never alone. We need to lean on good friends and family, focus on the positives, and try our hardest not compare ourselves to others. I’m the only person who can be me. I should love myself as I am. Believe me, I know this isn’t easy and right now it may be even harder as we’re forced to face even our darkest shadows. But let’s give ourselves and each other a little boost of encouragement this week and everyday moving forward and try our hardest not to judge one another too harshly. Self care is not selfish. It’s self love.”

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Dakota Johnson

The Texas native addressed what it’s been like for her amid the coronavirus pandemic during an interview with Extra on May 20, saying that without your friends and family “you’re kind of in this costume of depression, but not really sure if you feel that way.” 

“It’s hard to feel totally positive all day, every day when the world is sad right now,” she explained. “There’s only so much you can do to help yourself, but even those little, little tiny things like meditation or going for a walk or being kind to your body and your brain and yourself. It’s those little things, I think that make a bigger difference.”

NINA PROMMER/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
Caelynn Miller-Keyes

The former Bachelor contestant told Us exclusively on May 19 that it’s been “tough” to stay positive amid the coronavirus quarantine. “It's been really tough at times, but luckily I'm quarantined with [my boyfriend] Dean [Unglert] who is the most positive person I know,” she said. “He helps me so much when the heaviness of all this hits. Having [our dog] Pappy helps too. Whenever I start to get upset, I just look into his sweet eyes. I've been going on a lot of walks and listening to podcasts to help clear my head as well.”

MediaPunch/Shutterstock
Kendall Jenner

The model joined the “How Are You Really?” challenge on May 14, to speak about her mental health amid the coronavirus quarantine. “For me, I have some really good days, where I wake up in the morning and make a list of what I want to get done. I’ll be super productive. Then the days that I don’t really have as much going on, I tend to get a bit anxious.” The reality TV star continued, saying, “To calm myself down I usually read a book or meditate, or even sit outside and enjoy nature or something. I’m off and on. I will say my bad days aren’t the greatest. I’m trying to get through them, I’m trying to find my little remedies and not feel alone.”

Courtesy of Kendall Jenner/Instagram
Ashley Tisdale

"I’ve been having waves of anxiety and depression while in this quarantine," the High School Musical alum captioned a black and white photo of herself via Instagram on May 13. "This morning while I was reading I realized it’s the feeling of being stuck, stuck in this moment, stuck in this quarantine and the overwhelm [sic] state of the world. I then realized we aren’t stuck, we are simply just here. Here in this moment. Not in the future, not in the past. Just here. And that made me feel a lot better, it changed my perspective which then calmed my anxiety. So if you’re having the same feelings, know that we aren’t stuck, we aren’t in this moment forever we are simply just here and that’s OK."

Courtesy of Ashley Tisdale/Instagram
Katy Perry

“Sometimes i don’t know what’s worse trying to avoid the virus or the waves of depression that come with this new norm,” the Grammy nominee tweeted on May 12 while pregnant with her and Orlando Bloom’s first child together.

Shutterstock
Robert Pattinson

“I’m definitely much more calm than I used to be. If this was a few years ago or whatever, it would be a whole different story,” the Twilight star said in his GQ June 2020 cover story, for which he shot his own photos while isolated in London. “I’ve definitely been trying to help my family find, like, a calm, I guess. I think I probably ended up finding a new level of patience in myself. That’s probably, that’s probably a major thing. … I think everybody thinks it’s a pretty weird time.”

Photographed by Robert Pattinson; Courtesy of GQ
Grant Gustin

The Flash star got real about his battle with anxiety, which began when he was “probably 4 or 5” years old,” during an interview on the Inside of You podcast in April.

“Anxiety is ever-present in my life, for sure,” the actor said. “I’ve come a long way with taking a little pressure off myself … I’ve always been really hard on myself and I still am, but I put way too much pressure on myself early on and got in my way a lot and I think it shows, in my opinion at least, in the work, like how wound up I was and how focused I was on getting it right. It gets in your way for sure.”

Michael Buckner/TVLine/Shutterstock
Kacey Musgraves

“Some days I feel really productive and I do things around the house and I have fun actually, and some days I’m a f--king mess and I’m a total bitch and I’m really irritable and I’m not in a good mood and I don’t exercise and I eat like crazy,” the country singer said during a live-streamed concert on April 20. “It’s all normal. So don’t feel crazy, don’t feel alone.”

Gregory Pace/Shutterstock
Lizzo

“It’s been a long ass day 😫 🍑 focus on a body part u don’t like about yourself and show it some love today,” the “Juice” singer wrote via Instagram on April 20, showing off her derriere in a video clip. “This quarantine has a lot of people suffering from mental health issues because we can’t get out and do our normal coping/self care routines.... self hatred was starting to creep up on me but I gotta remember I’m 110% that bitch 💁🏾‍♀️ love you!”

Shutterstock
Lili Reinhart

“To those out there who feel their depression worsening because of what’s happening, I’m right there with you,” the Riverdale actress admitted via Twitter on March 24. “What can we do to make this better? I find that listening to music and drawing/painting is calming.” The Hustlers star also adopted a puppy, and regularly checks in with her fans via social media. “I have learned to cherish the people in my life who have stood by me through my best and my worst,” she explained on April 17.

Christopher Polk/People/Shutterstock
Shawn Mendes

The Canadian crooner shared five tips for getting through the stress and hard times in a story for Time on April 16. He explained first and foremost that it’s important for people to “allow yourself to feel.” He then told his fans to take “10 deep breaths in a moment of stress” and “try and call or FaceTime friends and family daily to stay connected.” Mendes also recommended meditation and exercise or getting outside daily.

David Fisher/Shutterstock
Jessica Chastain

The California native got real about stress and mental health in honor of National Stress Awareness Day on April 16. “These past few months have been rough on us all and it's important to remember that ONE we are not alone TWO it's okay to feel the feels! & THREE please take time to find healthy habits that make you feel good,” Chastain wrote via Instagram. “We're all in this together. I love you 💞”

Eric Charbonneau/Shutterstock
Julianne Hough

“There have been some super intense highs and then the pendulum must swing to the intense lows,” Hough admitted about her at-home quarantine on April 9 via Instagram. “Staying true to the path and gradually settling in. Giving myself permission to take the space and time to find my way back to the middle- The Space Between!” A few weeks prior, the Dancing With the Stars judge told her followers to go inward amid the pandemic. “Put some music on and dance. Dance is the best thing you can do for your energy and emotional field to transform fear in to liberation,” Hough wrote via Instagram on March 14.

David Buchan/Shutterstock
Selena Gomez

The “Lose You to Love Me” singer revealed details about her mental health struggle during the April 3 episode of Miley Cyrus’ “Bright Minded” Instagram Live show. At the time, Gomez explained that she realized she was bipolar after going to “one of the best mental hospitals in the world." She noted that her diagnosis helped her to know more about herself. “When I have more information, it actually helps me,” the former Disney Channel star said. “It doesn’t scare me once I know it … When I finally said what I was going to say, I wanted to know everything about it and it took the fear away.”

Matt Baron/Shutterstock
Prince William and Duchess Kate

“The last few weeks have been anxious and unsettling for everyone,” the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge said in a joint statement via Twitter on March 29. “We have to take time to support each other and find ways to look after our mental health. It is great to see the mental health sector working together with the NHS to help people keep on top of their mental well-being. By pulling together and taking simple steps each day, we can all be better prepared for the times ahead.”

Tim Rooke/Shutterstock
Christopher Wood

The Supergirl actor shared a “Just Checking In” checklist with his followers via Instagram on March 24, reminding everyone that it’s necessary to take some “me time” and reflect inwards. “I see a lot of ideas circulating that are ‘distractions’ for how to get through this time: what tv shows to watch, video games to play online, ideas for FaceTime hangouts... but it’s important to take a moment each day to STOP distracting ourselves and focus attention on our mental health,” he wrote at the time. “Call your people and check on them, and use these questions to make sure they’re doing okay. Tell them you’re #justcheckingin and run these questions together, then make a plan to check on someone new tomorrow. We all need some encouragement right now—take care of yourself and take care of your loved ones!”

John Photography/Shutterstock
Hayley Kiyoko

“I had a really productive talk with my therapist today. I’ve been struggling just like many of you over trying to comprehend our new reality,” the “She” singer wrote via Instagram on March 24. “We are experiencing grief for the life that we imagined, over the life that we currently have. The timeline we thought we had control over is completely out of our hands. That life we imagined can and will happen but we are forced to appreciate the now. It’s OK to feel uncomfortable, upset, lost, frustrated, we have to go through the grieving process but once we do, we will see the beauty of now. And we will triumph.”

Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
Jana Kramer

“I think it’s important to voice how you’re feeling. If I’m being honest I’ve hit all the different waves,” the One Tree Hill alum wrote via Instagram on March 21. “I was naive in the beginning, terrified last week, nervous, anxious, scared and now today I’m depressed. It hit me like a damn truck this morning. Just out of nowhere I started crying. I think I shocked [my husband] Mike [Caussin].”

Kramer continued, “I was having guilt for feeling those emotions because I’m not sick, my family isn’t sick so how can I be upset? But I believe we are entitled to feeling upset because of the times right now. We are all financially stressed and it keeps me up thinking how I’m gonna support my family when I can’t work.”

MediaPunch/Shutterstock
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

“With everything going on, it’s a lot to take in. Many of us may feel confused. Or alone, or anxious or scared,” the couple said in an Instagram statement on March 20. “In isolation, some of us may just feel bored, or that you don’t know what to do with yourself without your normal routine. It’s perfectly normal to be feeling any of these things. Our emotional well-being is challenged everyday whether we realise it or not, but our lives are usually filled with distractions. Now with constantly changing COVID coverage, we are all adjusting to this new normal and the feelings that come with it.”

Shutterstock
Josh Gad

The Frozen star shared a video with his followers on March 19 and told them that “it’s OK to cry.” The actor spoke to his fans in a short clip where he reminded everyone that “we’re going to get through it.” He added: “I know it’s a struggle right now for so many people. I love you all and I am thinking of you all and we will get through this.”

If you or someone you know is struggling with their mental health, contact the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) National Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357).

Given the constantly evolving nature of COVID-19, Us Weekly wants our readers to have access to the most accurate resources. For the most up-to-date coronavirus information, guidance and support, consult the CDC, WHO and information from local public health officials. If you’re experiencing coronavirus symptoms, call your primary care provider for medical advice.

Eric Charbonneau/Shutterstock


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/34Pv9NP

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Beyonce Praises Meghan Markle for Her ‘Courage’ After Tell-All Interview

Ladies get into formation! Beyoncé showed her support for Meghan Markle after the duchess’ tell-all interview aired on Sunday, March 7. Stars React to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Bombshell Interview Read article “Thank you, Meghan for your courage and leadership,” Beyoncé, 39, wrote via her website on Tuesday, March 9, alongside a photo of the pair at the Lion King premiere in 2019. “ We are all strengthened and inspired by you .” Beyoncé previously paid tribute to the philanthropist, 39, when she and Jay-Z accepted the Brit Award for Best International Group in February 2019. During their speech, the couple stood in front of a portrait of Markle wearing a crown and pearl necklaces . The video was also a nod to the duo’s “APES—T” music video, in which the Mona Lisa was positioned behind them. Meghan Markle meets Beyonce Knowles and her husband, Jay-Z, as she attends the European premiere of the film The Lion King in London on July 14, 2019. Shutterstock “In hono