Skip to main content

Taylor Swift Talks Selena, Travolta, More on Beats 1: 9 Takeaways

Spilling the juicy details. Taylor Swift opened up about Selena Gomez, John TravoltaLover and more during her Wednesday, October 30, interview with Zane Lowe on Apple Music’s Beats 1. The 29-year-old singer joined the broadcast to discuss everything from her relationships to her retreat from social media.

“I don’t think it’s my business to know who’s broken up or who’s dating whose ex or who’s throwing shade at who. That, I feel like, is some real brain clutter for me, and I think that’s not really my business to know that stuff,” Swift admitted during the sitdown. “If I find out something like that, it’ll be because a friend, like, gossiped about it. But I don’t want to seek it out.”

Besides the potential to pass on noteworthy news, the Grammy winner detailed what she looks for in a friend, including the ability to laugh hysterically and be resilient through her highs and lows. “When your stock is down and they’re still willing to hang out,” she explained.

As for what makes her laugh, Swift noted: “Everything when I’ve had a glass of wine.” And what causes her to cry? “Elderly people being sad,” she said.

As she nears 30, the “You Need to Calm Down” songstress revealed what her priorities are in life. “I want to keep making music I’m proud of. I want to keep doing things that make the fans feel the gratitude I have for them,” she detailed. “I also want to work in a way that I know I can handle and cultivate a life. I think you can still really make people happy and you can serve and overserve and do all the things that make your fans feel appreciated and loved, and you can also, you know, I think it’s better for fans if you don’t burn out ‘cause then you don’t have to take a really long break.”

Swift further divulged that she wrote the title track from her latest album in 20 minutes.

Scroll to read more revelations — there’s one about boyfriend Joe Alwyn — from her expansive interview with Beats 1.


On fangirling over Pete Wentz

“I was actually at the most emo dinner party the other night because Brendon Urie and Sarah [Orzechowski], his amazing wife, had me over. I show up and it’s like Brendon and Pete Wentz sitting next to each other, and I just got to ask them every single question about like, The Warped Tour and NeverEnding Story and Star Wars,” Swift raved. “Pete Wentz is probably, if I had to pick a favorite lyricist, it would be a tie between him and Lana Del Rey. … It was really formative for me to hear all of [Pete’s] zingers. ‘Blank Space’ is a song that is just the zingers, one after another after another after another, which I definitely learned from listening to Fall Out Boy.”

Amy Harris/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
On being by Selena Gomez’s side through her struggles

The pop star pointed out that she had “a front row seat” to Gomez’s trials through the years. “From my perspective as her friend, I’ve just never been more proud,” she gushed. “The things that she’s overcome, the situations that she’s risen above. It’s been a long time that we’ve been friends and she’s the best. … I’m really excited because when somebody has had great life experience, has had really tough things they’ve had to go through and they can process that and make art that’s gonna help other people, that’s what kind of song ['Lose You to Love Me'] is. I’m stoked.”

Gregory Pace/Shutterstock
On being protective of her personal life

Swift pondered whether her work would be affected by her private relationship with Alwyn, 28. “I’m very protective of certain elements in my life and my world. Would that kind of mute me a bit as a writer?” she said. “And the answer is no, actually, because there are songs, they’re not all happy songs, they’re not all joyful songs. There are songs about moments of conflict and complexity within a relationship. There are songs that I didn’t even write about something I was going through. There’s a song called ‘Death by a Thousand Cuts’ that’s the most emotional, sad lyric I’ve written in a very long time, and it’s about stuff that my friends were going through. It’s about a movie character dynamic I saw. And it’s just like, I’m happy that, thus far, the songwriting faucet has still been on and … the well is not dried up yet.”

Blitz Pictures/Shutterstock
On John Travolta mistaking Jade Jolie for her

The “Lover” singer got a kick out of Travolta thinking the RuPaul’s Drag Race alum was her at the MTV Video Music Awards in August. “That made our night,” she recalled. “I was so happy for her.”

Maurizio D'Avanzo/IPA/Shutterstock
On her respect for Jameela Jamil

Swift is a fan of the Good Place star for speaking out about the criticism women’s bodies face: “We have amazing women out there like Jameela Jamil saying, ‘I’m not trying to spread body positivity. I’m trying to spread body neutrality where I can sit here and not think about what my body is looking like.’”

Shutterstock
On touring amid her mom’s cancer battle

The Cats star revealed in March that her mother, Andrea Swift, is battling cancer for the second time. “I’ve got some pretty intense things happening with my family right now. I can’t go on a long tour and not have the ability to go home if I need to,” she explained. “I have priorities that aren’t just touring now, and I think [fans] have been really respectful of that in the past, but this is where the rubber meets the road. I actually have to make decisions where there are question marks in my life in things that are really important to me and my family. I have to be able to have some breathing room in my touring schedule and I think that they kind of understand that.”

Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock
On her social media break

Swift stepped back from social media around the release of Reputation in 2017. “I found that when I was giving too much on social media, I started to feel sort of like I was being monitored,” she recalled. “Like I had a microchip in me and I felt like people … It wasn’t just how I felt. People knew where I was all the time, and I’d be like, ‘Wow, this doesn’t feel like a life. This feels like I’m in some sort of simulation or I’m in The Sims or something.’”

Chelsea Lauren/Shutterstock
On her love for Halsey

“Halsey’s an amazing writer and she speaks up for what she cares about and she’s very vocal about things, and we have these very fierce women out there,” she said. “It’s so good.”

Vince Bucci/Invision/AP/Shutterstock
On the “extremes” she felt during her Reputation era

Swift confessed she was “doing a thing” with Reputation, noting that the album was “out of my wheelhouse.” She added: “Reputation was like you put an extreme filter on everything. If I was mad, I was extremely mad. If I was feeling defiant, I was extremely defiant. If I was feeling low, I was extremely low.”

Andrew H. Walker/Shutterstock


from Celebrity News – Us Weekly https://ift.tt/2JBfZlY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Musician Sophie Dead at Age 34 After 'Sudden Accident'

SOPHIE, a Scottish musician, DJ and record producer, has died at age 34. Stars We’ve Lost in 2021 Read article The multihyphenate’s team confirmed the news in a statement on Saturday, January 30, revealing that her death was unexpected. “It is with profound sadness that I have to inform you that musician and producer SOPHIE passed away this morning around 4 a.m. in Athens, where the artist had been living, following a sudden accident,” SOPHIE’s team said in a statement to The Independent . “At this time respect and privacy for the family is our priority. We would also ask for respect for her fanbase, and to treat the private nature of this news with sensitivity.” Celebrity LGBTQ Allies Read article The statement went on to tout SOPHIE’s many accolades in electronic pop music: “SOPHIE was a pioneer of new sound, one of the most influential artists in the last decade. Not only for ingenious production and creativity but also for the message and visibility that was achieved. An ico

Pink Helps Husband Carey Hart Recover After Spinal Surgery

Carey Hart and Pink. Rob Latour/Shutterstock Hello nurse! Carey Hart is recovering from spinal surgery with lots of help from his wife, Pink — and he couldn’t be more thankful. Pink and Carey Hart's Relationship Timeline Read article The motocross star , 46, underwent lower spine disc replacement surgery on Thursday, September 23, and let fans know that the procedure was a “success” hours after he got out of the operating room. “One down and one to go,” he wrote on Instagram , adding that he was “up and out of bed and walking, just a few hours post-surgery.” By the next morning, he was already heading home. While still in the hospital on Friday, September 24, he posted a video of himself in his post-op gown taking a stroll around the building. “Been up five times since this,” he bragged. “Can’t wait to come back stronger than ever, and kick ass on my dirt bike in 2022.” While he thanked the staff at DISC Sports & Spine Center in Newport Beach, California, he gave the

Baseball Legend Hank Aaron and More Stars We’ve Lost in 2021

It’s never easy to say goodbye. Scroll down to see Us Weekly ‘s tribute to the celebrities who died in 2021. Angie Jakusz The Survivor alum died in New Orleans following a long battle with cancer on January 8. She was 40. “Angie was an incredibly passionate person with an extraordinary lust for life,” her loved ones wrote in an obituary published via Nola.com. “Whether she was sewing, painting, drawing, doing nail art or makeup, costuming, reading, snorkeling, scuba diving, traveling or just raising hell, she did it lovingly and with laser precision. She was a founding member of the New Orleans Noise Coalition and had been a contestant on season 10 of Survivor.” Monty Brinton/CBS Joanne Rogers The musician, the widow of Fred Rogers , died in Pittsburgh on January 14. She was 92. No cause of death was given at the time. "Fred Rogers Productions is deeply saddened by the passing of Joanne Rogers. The loving partner of Fred Rogers for more than 50 years, she continued their